I'm kinda baffled with the dealer experience I just had (Canada).

Shroud

Just got back from a dealership where they had a European GT Sedan in the showroom (mostly so you could get a "flavor" for the car) and a Sport for test drives. Sweet car. Without even driving it (didn't have time and someone else had it out for a ride) I'm pretty much sold on this car.

The dealer principle was very friendly and up front and gave me quite an overview of the technology. We got into the price discussions, and I said "I assume you are selling them for MSRP with no discount due to popularity?"

He said no. He said he doesn't like the haggling thing, so he sets "one price" for his dealership which incorporates some discount off MSRP (obviously not lots of discount on a low margin item like this). Similar to what Access Toyota does, he said.

So we sat down and spec'd out this car (this is what I want to buy)

Titanium GT with Leather, GFX, Auto (don't laugh, wife will be driving it and hates sticks) transmission.

He said they include free wheel locks.

The price he gave me before tax (which we discussed as his "best price"), with freight in, was 25,915.13

I said that's pre-tax, he said yes. I said what's the admin fee? He said no admin fee.

I'm confused.

Not only does that not appear to be a discounted price, it seems to be higher than MSRP from the "build and price" section of the website. I priced it on the web and the total MSRP + freight was 25,508.95. So his quote is not discounted from what I can tell, and is actually ~ 400 bucks higher than MSRP....is that not correct?

Keep thinking I'm missing something here.

Baffled.

I used "carcostcanada" and it gave me MSRP of 25,407.00 Getting different numbers everywhere I go.

Last edited:
He's just BSing you they WILL go down on the price if you're a good negotiator. People who buy for the "no haggle price" either have money to blow and don't care if they don't get a good deal, or don't know any better and get owned by the dealership.

I'm not exaggerating here, either. Even the most morally sound dealerships will demand way more than you need to be paying, and thats why people hate buying cars at dealerships.

Remember: 25k Canadian dollars.

I edited my post due to some goofy math, but I'm really surprised he's bs'ing me because I told him I'm ready to buy with 9k down. Why would he jerk me around?

I keep thinking I'm missing something.

I'm guessing you the dealership's initials are "JM" in Edmonton because they're the only one with the Euro version on the floor.

They do add some extra to the price from what I figure as well. They have their "advantage" package which includes AC tx, floor mats, tire disposal fee, block heater, wheel locks and full tank gas -- included. Then they have their "armour shield" package that they can add for $590, then 3-year scheduled maintenance (up to 60000km) for $300. They also have a roadside assistance program. I don't know how much of these things he's added to your price, but I'm sure he's added some of them. He should have given you a sheet summarizing all of that. I spoke with Karen, if you're interested. She's excellent.

Hm. Well he mentioned the 590 and 300 charges, both were extra - above and beyond the 25,915

I guess basically it's not really a "discount" and is more of a premium package - vehicle plus all the things you mentioned.

I've emailed him directly to ask for a breakdown of the price. And yes, it was Jarman Mazda. Previously I've been talking to Park Mazda (I live in Sherwood Park) but they don't have any M3's yet.

I was considering using CanadaCarCost premium service to get a "best price" in the area via broker, but I doubt they can do much with the current popularity of the vehicle being what it is.

CanadaCarCost lists the price breakdown of the M3 as I spec'd it, as:

Base 21345
GFX, leather 1995
metallic paint 105
Auto trans 1000
freight and PDI 925
air tax 100

which only totals 25,470

So that would mean the block heater, mats and gas and wheel locks would total a 445.00 charge.

*shrug*

Maybe that's the best I can hope for.

Last edited:
The Jarman price probably isn't the best deal you can hope for. Check with Autoworld Mazda in Leduc. They quoted me MSRP, but I didn't try to get them to move. I was just interested in the pricing since we were comparing the 3GT and the 6GS. They didn't have any in (two weeks ago) but they were expecting them this week...maybe by the weekend. Then of course everybody seems to be saying that.

No doubt. If Mazda Canada had handled the distribution of these cars better they would most likely have hooked me. All the waiting for them got me looking at other cars not even in the same category. The 3 still gets my attention, but Mazda's managed to give the other brands a fighting chance. I find it strange that people in Ontario and Vancouver have taken delivery, but in the prairies we're still waiting. Looks like they're working their way inland with their deliveries or something...must make sense from some angle.

The guy at Jarman said it is due to having to use trucks to get them in the prairies, whereas the east got them via rail. He said the trucking company has screwed them over big time. Not sure if it's true, but sounded like it.

Another rep. at Jarman (not Karen) told me they were "delayed at the port" :rolleyes: (this was yesterday); the AutoWorld rep. told me the trucks were held up by the snow but he didn't sound too convinced. The explanation that you got is much more reasonable.

Last edited:
Shroud, check the PM on your work account.

The delay is actually the trucking company. The same company also delivers Honda and Toyota to western Canada. Because they move more cars they seem to get priority. Its been a bigger problem than usual the last month for some reason.

For the record Mazda doesn't start there official launch of the Mazda3 in Canada until January, you won't see any tv adds or promotions until then. So the dealers will all have lots of 3's by then. So this time Mazda didn't screw up the delivery process, its just that some of us car buffs on this board are more informed than the average Joe and know the cars are coming now :D

Guys, I spoke to the dealer again and had misunderstood his price. The 300 + 590 were included in his quoted bottom line price and are optional.

Price looks fair now. My bad! I say "my bad" a lot around here, I need to be more careful what Im posting :)

Newf,

Shortened Version:
-It's up to dealerships/salespeople to communicate with customers, not keep them in the dark --> if you tell a customer "X days from now" and that comes and goes, contact the customer and let them know what's going on. If you don't know why the delay is, they should say so and try to find out, not make something up.
-Lack of communication destroys relationships (personal and business)
-If there are communication problems this early in the relationship, I don't know if I can expect it to get better once they have my $$; like saying "oh, I'll changer him/her when we get married"...right
-I'd rather spend my money on a car that meets *most* of my desires and is backed by an *outstanding* dealership than on a car that meets *all* of my desires and is "backed" by a dealership that has good intentions but poor execution.
-If I had to wait for 8 months without a clue as to why then I know for sure that somebody else would be getting my money
-Communication problems can ruin things for a great company and a great product...look at the Mazda 6's "rust issue" or the Suzuki Bandit's "oil burning" issue for examples.

Last edited:
Autoworld Mazda

DON'T I repeat DON'T use Autoworld Mazda in Leduc Alberta... They will rip you off blind... I bought my Mazda 3 GT sport there and Mazda Canada didnt even know who I was for over 4 months... Autoworld Mazda kept saying the lost my file...

Again Don't use Autoworld Mazda... If you care about your credit file use someone else...

Back