Cams, are they a good idea

Our cams are actually really good for Turbo applications. Here is what Corky has to say about aggressive cams:

"The street turbo, which is generally small, operates with exhaust manifold pressure somewhat higher than intake boost pressure. This situation, when presented with long duration, high-overlap cams, creates a huge amount of reversion. Thus the "turbo cam" tends to become a low duration, very limited overlap cam.

Rule:It is hard to find a turbo cam that works better than the stock Item."(163 Bell)

It's funny...I actually went to buy that very book yesterday at the mall while I was in line for Star Wars and couldn't find it. :(

I know there's another big bookstore in town...sure hope it's there otherwise I'll have to do the amazon.com thing I guess.

BigBlue said:
It's funny...I actually went to buy that very book yesterday at the mall while I was in line for Star Wars and couldn't find it. :(

I know there's another big bookstore in town...sure hope it's there otherwise I'll have to do the amazon.com thing I guess.

that or just pop in the bookstore that is closest to you and have them order it. on Amazon.com its $25.

I got it at Barnes and Noble a while back, and its my favorite book, plus I always refer to it. Kinda like my guide book through life:D Others read the great philosophocal and spiritual readings of Gibraltar, Depak , thorow(spelling?) and I read goddamn maximum boost by Corky Bell:p :rolleyes:

mikesmazda155 said:
Are the intake and exhaust cams that are currently made for our cars, a good idea for forced induction. I am not for sure.:confused:

Cam selection is highly dependant on the application. If you are building a mild turbo street car, I would recommend staying away from aggressive cams. Cams can and do dramatically change your motors volumetric effeciency (VE), thus requiring new fuel and ignition maps to reap the benefits of the cams and/or reduce the sacrifice in driviability and idle quality.

Thanks for the info I think that I will only be trying for 210 whp at 8psi with an intercooler, hopefully. I think I will be happy with that.:D

You would be fine using the FS-ZE & Mazdaspeed cams on a turbo'd Protege. Everyone seems to think that you can't, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Those cams aren't all the aggresive as far as the cam profiles go. Yes, you are probably better off staying with the stock cams, but you'd be fine using the other ones. If you plan on going forced induction, you're better off running stand alone engine management.

I would definately consider the FS-ZE intake cam. There is not an significant side effect to swapping in the ZE cam. The ZE cam is simply a Japanese production cam, so it not like you are swapping in a aggressive race cam. Per CorkSport the ZE cam provide about 6 more degrees duration on intake. I would take it. That extra duration will improve high rpm effeciency, as can be seen in available ZE dyno plots.

The MazdaSpeed cam is a different story. I do not know any details on it, so I would be leary of recommending the use of the MS cam for a mild turbo application.

APEXistud said:
You would be fine using the FS-ZE & Mazdaspeed cams on a turbo'd Protege. Everyone seems to think that you can't, but I'm sure you'll be fine. Those cams aren't all the aggresive as far as the cam profiles go. Yes, you are probably better off staying with the stock cams, but you'd be fine using the other ones. If you plan on going forced induction, you're better off running stand alone engine management.

Back