Question on Monster 5.0 Miatas

Mazda100

I was reading on the price of building one, and it says that the conversion cost was 16,000$ (Plus the price of the car) is this true?? The engine should cost close to 4000$ Maybe this site was just high or something...is there that much fabrication in it? Maybe someone here has actually done it, and can tell me what it costs. Maybe they paid someone else to do the work :confused:

Thanks guys!

take that V8 and toss it , there are a few guys making 400hp to the wheels on a stock block 1.8 miata, if you would like to ruin a good car go right ahead.

I was hoping that when I joined here that I could ask my questions here and not have to be directed somewhere else, oh well I'll join there 2. I'll still hang out here also. But if anyone here has a V-8 Miata or knows how much it costs answer.

FC3s Boy:

Are you gonna argue with 0-60 in high 4's? 1/4th mile in high 12's?

I have a V8 Miata, and a turbo Miata. They both have good points and bad points.

We built ours for under $2k. Check it out here. If you can't weld or fabricate, you'll need the kit. If you can, you can save yourself a bunch of money. You can pick up the drivetrain from a donor car for under $2k. Sell off what you don't need to help reduce costs.

You'll find more information at the Miata.net V8 Forum

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

-Scott

Thanks for the link Scott - Which do you enjoy more, the turbo or the v8? :)

FC3s Boy:
400hp 1.8L miatas are by FAR the exception...I don't know of any which ran for more than several months. I'd be hard pressed to argue against the reliability of 200-300+whp from a N/A V8.

Mazda100

There are plenty of 12 second boosted Miatas...

there are a few mx5 that run in the 12's, the extra weight of the v8 will ruin the perfect handling that the miata is known for. It's like when the rednecks stuff v8 into rx7's it just kills me.

NA Miata's (90-97) stock internals can handle up to 12psi of boost
some went as high as 15psi (when properly tuned)w/ no problem what so ever. If you go to www.miataforum.com under power you will get plenty of response from experienced turbo miata owners. There is is also few members that ran as low as hi 13s on a 8-9psi turbo Miata.

Last edited:
FC3s Boy said:
there are a few mx5 that run in the 12's, the extra weight of the v8 will ruin the perfect handling that the miata is known for. It's like when the rednecks stuff v8 into rx7's it just kills me.

Uh...you haven't done any research on V8 swaps in miatas, have you? The 'whole car' gets heavier - not just the nose. Most V8-swap authorities report a weight distribution of 51% front, 49% rear. Pretty damn good. Weight Dist. is but ONE aspect of a car's over-all 'handling'.

Last edited:
maitai92 said:
NA Miata's (90-97) stock internals can handle up to 12psi of boost
some went as high as 15psi (when properly tuned)w/ no problem what so ever. If you go to www.miataforum.com under power you will get plenty of response from experienced turbo miata owners. There is is also few members that ran as low as hi 13s on a 8-9psi turbo Miata.

I've seen one stock-rods (but new pistons + headwork) miata, 1.8L hit 399whp....it blew up, IIRC.

12 psi is what FlyinMiata labels "Safe for extended use - more or less" on the 90-97 Models, iirc. It's all about proper tuning.

how can you say "a miata block can handle 8-9 PSI" without stating the type of turbo and system.

FC3s Boy said:

From what I've heard it doesn't kill the wieght distribution, just adds some wieght that's all, I forget what the weight distibution was. Also just cause someone wants to put a V-8 into a light car doesn't make them a redneck.

Darin said:
Uh...you haven't done any research on V8 swaps in miatas, have you? The 'whole car' gets heavier - not just the nose. Most V8-swap authorities report a weight distribution of 51% front, 49% rear. Pretty damn good. Weight Dist. is but ONE aspect of a car's over-all 'handling'.

thank you :D

Dexter said:
how can you say "a miata block can handle 8-9 PSI" without stating the type of turbo and system.

I think the general assumption is "Stock" and "Most turbo systems"

There are always extremes, on either end.

Darin said:
no darin i have'nt , i just like to do more with less.

Mazda100 said:
From what I've heard it doesn't kill the wieght distribution, just adds some wieght that's all, I forget what the weight distibution was. Also just cause someone wants to put a V-8 into a light car doesn't make them a redneck.
putting a v8 in a rx7 does make you a redneck, i just think with all of the technology out there you could make pleanty of power without a v8 swap.

FC3s Boy said:
putting a v8 in a rx7 does make you a redneck, i just think with all of the technology out there you could make pleanty of power without a v8 swap.

Some people want the kind of neck-snapping low end torque which can't be made w/o displacement...some people just think 'it's neat'.

Someone with a very limited view on 'performance' or 'sport' gets offended at somebody else's hard work.

(shrug)

FC3s Boy said:
no darin i have'nt , i just like to do more with less.

You can't. A Turbo system producing as much reliable power as a V8 swap won't be cheap - will hardly be 'more'...

:-/

Back