Saw the Mz3 at a Stealership today

:
02 MP5
I was trying to help my friend buy an MP5 today (long story) and while we were there we saw a Mz3 on the lot. Having seen it in person I still feel that the proportions are too large and not as sporty as the MP5 (yes I know Im biased, but thats how I feel). The interior does look great, although Im bummed that they cheaped out on the climate control dials. But what struck me the most is something that I didnt notice before in pics. The hatch has a crease in the middle of it and there is an odd point near the emblem. Looking at the pics again tonight, I can see that it has been there the whole time, but I swear it was just odd on the car in person. It seemed to make the car more cartoon than sporty. I found a couple of pics that show what Im talking about better than others, but they dont do the point justice IMO.

/members/CruzinAltitude/mz3 point.jpg

/members/CruzinAltitude/mz point2.jpg

What do you guys think?

I remember when I took off my rear emblem, I realized just how much of a bend there was to the emblem to make it fit on the angled area near the top of the trunk. I guess this is the same idea, except the line of the bend runs vertically instead of horizontally. It looks like it also curves as it goes up, which could produce a point on the hatch like you're describing.

I think I'll need to see it in person like you said to really see what you're saying, but I'm curious about why the Mazda designers chose to do this. Just like with the 3 sedan, I think the rear would look better if you debadged.

Yep, I noticed it when I saw the hatch in real-life too. I kinda liked it though, it made that area rearend less bland.

reminds me just a little bit of a golf. Looks like mazda's rendition of one.

-B

Actually, I think the rear of the car looks better than the front...the complete opposite of my opinion on the '5. Except, of course, front and back are both sweet on the '5.

The Mz3 just looks like it is trying too hard, kind of like an overly trendy dresser. There is a fine line between cool and stilted.

+ friction said:
The Mz3 just looks like it is trying too hard, kind of like an overly trendy dresser. There is a fine line between cool and stilted.

After seeing in person, I think Mazda stepped pretty far over that line.

Being new here & to Mazda, just curious: did everyone feel the same way about the MP5 when it first came out? Some cars have to grow on people and, while the MP5 is a somewhat unique auto, I just can't imagine that Mazda fans had similar reactions to the '5.

Anyone remember back to its debutante days?

you might want to start a new thread with that question, maybe in the MP5 forum. I bet you'd ge a lot more responses. Thats a damn good question, I'd like to see some responses.

I guess its all a matter of opinion. I actually thought the back end looked MUCH better in person then in pictures. The pictures made it look very Matrix like, but in person I thought it looked much better and had a style of its own. Myself I like it better than the P5, I think they did an excellent job. Not perfect, but perfection isn't expected in this price range.:cool:

CruzinAltitude said:
I was trying to help my friend buy an MP5 today (long story) and while we were there we saw a Mz3 on the lot. Having seen it in person I still feel that the proportions are too large and not as sporty as the MP5 (yes I know Im biased, but thats how I feel). The interior does look great, although Im bummed that they cheaped out on the climate control dials. But what struck me the most is something that I didnt notice before in pics. The hatch has a crease in the middle of it and there is an odd point near the emblem. Looking at the pics again tonight, I can see that it has been there the whole time, but I swear it was just odd on the car in person. It seemed to make the car more cartoon than sporty. I found a couple of pics that show what Im talking about better than others, but they dont do the point justice IMO.

/members/CruzinAltitude/mz3 point.jpg

/members/CruzinAltitude/mz point2.jpg

What do you guys think?

All right, I know I'm behind the curve here but I just saw my first one in person last night. CruzinAltitude - yeah, those creases are a bit much for me, too. The inside of the 3 is sweet as hell, but I just can't get over the external styling. I know I said it before, but it looks like it just trying too hard.

I love the look of this car. I saw it on the road and it looked like a mini version of my Infiniti FX35... very cool...

I love the new design. Although I loved the Protege look, I feel the 3 has a more modern look. And from the reaction I get from people on the streets, they seem to love it too ;)

Back