P5 - Anyone mount an amp under their seat?

I have a single 4-channel PG amp to mount in my install. It is to power a set of Quart components for the front and a JL 10" Poweredge (until I can get a new amp and build an enclosure).

I was thinking under the right-front seat, but there is a duct of some sort, which gets in the way.

The other option is a box under the poweredge to house the amp and a future sub amp.

What would you do?

Your link does not work, but I will take your word. I was thinking the same thing about the vent providing cooling, but I figured it also pumped hot air when the heat was on.

I have one 1000watt amp underneath the front left seat and a 600watt amp and a crossover under the front right seat.
The plastic duct is in the perfect place because when you switch your A/C to hit you feet this is where the cold air comes out of....

I always turn on the A/C and switch it to the feet vents when I feel the amp is hot...

It's also a perfect place to hide your amps..:D

CharlieP5 said:
I have one 1000watt amp underneath the front left seat and a 600watt amp and a crossover under the front right seat.
The plastic duct is in the perfect place because when you switch your A/C to hit you feet this is where the cold air comes out of....

I always turn on the A/C and switch it to the feet vents when I feel the amp is hot...

It's also a perfect place to hide your amps..:D

Make sense when your in Puerto Rico but not in PA or NY like the other 2, kind of messes things up when you have to run the heater on the amp

1st MP3 in NH said:

Make sense when your in Puerto Rico but not in PA or NY like the other 2, kind of messes things up when you have to run the heater on the amp

Ooops!:D Forgot you guys use heaters up there.....My bad...;)

Amp mounted under seat...

Since linking to the picture doesn't work, I'll just attach it...

Attachments

• mtx  thunder 4244 amplifier.jpg
    mtx thunder 4244 amplifier.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 393
Gotcha. My amp will not fit next to the vent like yours does and I did not want it getting hot air in the winter, so I just ended up putting it in the trunk.

The Protege5 has so much stinkin' room under the seat. I put one PPI-480 under one (19.5 inches long!) and a PPI-2125, a one farad cap, and a 1/0-4awg block under the other!.
As far as the vent, I open it up in the summer, and during the winter, I remove the longer section and tape it up with duct tape to prevent the heat from getting it.

Okay. I was thinking of doing the samething but I use my P5 as a "people hauler" and I don't want them kicking my stuff under the seat.

I have heard that the bottom part of the rear seat wil lift up and there is a little indention under the seat that will hold an amp.

I could get a little in-line cooling fan to blow across the amp to help keep it cool.

Has anyone looked into this option? I haven't looked into to much yet since I'm a few months away from install.

OurP5,

I don't know if there is enough room under the seat, and if you get a portly passenger, the seat may actually press against the amp.

Not wanting my kids to kick my amp, I installed it in the trunk.

I actually looked today

You are so right. No room under the seat cushion. I guess I'll keep looking cause I do not want my stuff to be seen. The deck is about the only thing I want visible.

Hell, even my XM Antenna is under the back bumper

I just dropped a alpine 5 channel under the passenger seat on thursday and it fits awesome. As far as someone kicking the amp it should not be a problem. The rear mat actually covers the rear section of the amp which works so no one can see it and no one can kick it. As far as heat hitting it in the winter all you would have to do is run the dash vents instead of the bi-level vents. Either way I dont think anyone is going to have a problem with putting it under their seats. in fact if i do a video system the dvd player wil go under the driver seat.

yeah i also have my under the seats(both my and the pass.)
i have "Directed Electronics CLASS D 1100 WATT W/REMOTE and CLASS D 600 WATT "

My question is: For those who have put their amps under their seat (esp to drive their door speakers), how did you route and conceal the wires/cables? I know you can hide some in the door sills (i've done that with my sub + amp in the trunk) and it works great, no wires can be seen at all. Power lines run down the driver side while the RCAs run down the passenger side.

I'm adding another 4 channel amp to drive my door speakers and it seems that there would be a whole lot more cables/wires to route:

- 2 sets of RCAs for the front and back from the HU to the amp
- 4 pairs of speaker wires that needs to go all the way back to the harness behind the HU
- Power
- Ground (easiest)

And i know we should keep the RCA cables away from the power and speaker wires to reduce noise.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Back