Hard Wiring a Radar Detector

OurP5

I am lookng to hook my radar detector up directly to the fuse box on the driver's side kick panel. 2 problems. I'm not sure which fuse to tie into for the ignition controlled power to the detector and I can't see a real solid ground to use. I though of tying it into the ENGINE ECU fuse but I don't want to go messing with that and something happen and fry my ECU. Any suggestions, anyone done this, how? :confused:

OurP5 said:
I am lookng to hook my radar detector up directly to the fuse box on the driver's side kick panel. 2 problems. I'm not sure which fuse to tie into for the ignition controlled power to the detector and I can't see a real solid ground to use. I though of tying it into the ENGINE ECU fuse but I don't want to go messing with that and something happen and fry my ECU. Any suggestions, anyone done this, how? :confused:

Recommendation! Stay Away From the ECU Fuse!
Get yourself a tester at Pep Boys or Western Auto and check the fuses one by one to see which one will give you ignition power.
If I was you I would tie it into a BullCrap Fuse which is not so Critical (Like The ECU Fuse).
Check and see if there is an empty space anywhere on the fuse box. See if it has power and dedicate that fuse for your Radar detector.

I would think the MP3 and the MP5 fuse boxes are the same (It would be more expensive for Mazda if they made them different) Look for the Sunroof Fuse. this should supply enough voltage for your radar detector.
Do not worry about the Ground cable. connect it to any mechanical ground (Any screw will do as long as the paint does not prevent it from touching the metal.)

As long as you find an alternate source of energy (Not the ECU Fuse) you'll be find.:D

Re: Re: Hard Wiring a Radar Detector

CharlieP5 said:

If I was you I would tie it into a BullCrap Fuse which is not so Critical.
:D

OMG that is just tooooooooooooooooooo funny!!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

however....very good advice.....a radar detector requires sooooooo little power....you could piggyback it onto just about ANY circut...but STAY AWAY from critical stuff like the ECU....circuts that are dependant on the key being turned on would be ANY of the window circuts...or the moonroof if you have one.....OR could could just hardwire it into the one that feeds your cigerette lighter....but that one isn't ignition dependant...you would have to turn your dectector on and off every time.

Look for the Sunroof Fuse. this should supply enough voltage for your radar detector

I don't have a moonroof. Never used the one in my Civic EX so I couldn't warrant the extra option price.

Now, since the Fuse cover only shows the fuses that are in use I will probably opt for the power window fuse.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess if I got real brave I could tap into the ignition wires itself and find my hot and ground.

True. I did look in the steering column at the ignition wires and it look like a bad weave. Oh well. Fuse box it is. I'll take care of it after work. Thanks for the info guys

i think your looking at this all wrong! why go to the fuse box? juts take out your head unit, well actually first of all you go to your radar detector cord and cut the end off, strip the 2 wires (- and +) then take out your head unit and find the accessory wire and ground and attach it to those (splice or cut the wire or use one of those clips). this will make your radar detector turn on when your deck is on, it will not blow your fuse unless something shorts.

pr5owner

this will make your radar detector turn on when your deck is on

I thought of going that rooute but there are times I turn the radio off and I don't want to be "unprotected".

I just cut the end off of the cord and put the posotive to the window fuse and grounded in the fuse box. That way, when the ignition is on, so is the detector.

Thanks for the advice, though.

turning your radio off will not turn off the detector, as long as your KEY is in the accessory or ON position the detector is on, thta is why when you turn your radio off the light is still on and it displays the time or somethign

Let's say I want to plug in one of those DC-AC converters. They usually plug into the cigarette lighter but I want to make it fit in the front or back console somewhere and hide all the wires. (that's about the only the the Matrix has on the P5).

Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Humvee said:
Let's say I want to plug in one of those DC-AC converters. They usually plug into the cigarette lighter but I want to make it fit in the front or back console somewhere and hide all the wires. (that's about the only the the Matrix has on the P5).

Any ideas on the best way to do this?

is the question where to mount it? or how to wire it?

if its a wireing question...I would have to ask...do you smoke? if not...do you allow others to smoke in your car?

Personally I do not...and no one smokes in my car either....SO, if this were the case...mount the converter where ever you wish..and run the wires inside the console....then pop out the lighter and pull the hot wire off of it....there is your power source...and then all you need do is ground the ground wire....then pop the non functional lighter back in its hole...

:{D

I hardwired mine and connected it to the wiring on the back of the cigarette lighter - It turns on and off with the key.

I poked a very small hole in the headliner to run the wire through, near the center of the car by the mirror - Actually the hole is just offcenter to the passenger side, and when the wire is installed, the tip of the passenger sunvisor hides the end of the radar dectector cord. I ran the wire down the passenger side pillar, and behind the glovebox, tying into the cig lighter.

When the detector is mounted, it's above the mirror, and invisible from outside the car. When I remove it, the wire and plug is hidden behind the sunvisor.

Don

SirNuke:

no - nobody smokes in my car, but I do have other toys that I occasionally plug into the cigarette lighter (air pump, gps, etc)

I guess I could just get at the cigarette plug wiring, and connect it to the wires that way (while keeping the lighter fuctional. Now I just need a spot to put it. Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to keep it in the front console, but I doubt there's room there for it.

Humvee said:
SirNuke:

no - nobody smokes in my car, but I do have other toys that I occasionally plug into the cigarette lighter (air pump, gps, etc)

I guess I could just get at the cigarette plug wiring, and connect it to the wires that way (while keeping the lighter fuctional. Now I just need a spot to put it. Any ideas? Ideally I'd like to keep it in the front console, but I doubt there's room there for it.

nope, not really much room....unless you wanted to sacrifice your cup holders....then you would even have a nice door to hide it under.

Re: Re: Re: Hard Wiring a Radar Detector

Sir Nuke said:

...your cigarette lighter....isn't ignition dependant...you would have to turn your detector on and off every time.

Actually, the lighter would be perfect for a radar detector because it IS turned on/off with the switch. I found that out with my cell phone charger. Shut off the car and the lighter goes dead. I am going to wire in a Valentine detector with the remote panel...I don't like the fact that the detector is mounted up on the windshield for all to see (especially the boys in blue). Plus in the Protege, you lose use of the right cup holder because of the adapter plugged into the socket.

sorry this is a really really really old thread but couldnt you just hardwire the detector through the lights on the celiing of the car...or would it work that way?

I can tell ya right now, you will not likely have any problems if you hard wire
it into the leads to your cig. lighter. Most lighters run enough power to be able
to run your detector and charge a cell phone without a problem.

Where you would run into a problem is if you wanted to use something like a
mid to high wattage power inverter.

Alternatively, you could run it off of the acc. and ground going to your deck
and not run into any problems at all. Getting to the deck wiring is going to be
a bit easier also.

You should be able to find a wiring guide for the radio harness pretty easy online,
if not, just go to Best Buy, Car Toys, or anywhere else that does installs. They
sell harness adapters for aftermarket radios and it's easy to map what wires
are what just by looking at the harness. You may even get them to tell you
just by calling, but I'm more of a visual person.

Just splice your positive and negative leads to your detector in and run your
wire to your mounting location. If youre mounting it high, you really don't
even need to cut the headliner, just tuck the wire in between it and the windshield,
then down the A-member molding.

The hardest part is actually getting the factory radio out, and all that takes is
two pairs of Ford head unit removal keys. (unless you want to make your own)

{edit} good god, I posted all that and it was a year old thread???

First off use a digital multi meter to test your wires. Using a test light or volt meter can damage the cars ecu. Do not run the wires to the fuse box and just wrap a fuse with the wire and stick it back into the fuse holder....big no-no! Find a power wire and tap into it by doing it the right way. Never cut the factory loom.....never use wire taps....and solder the wires together, wraping with electrical tape. Just use the cigarete lighter to power the radar detector.

Man all that work, I just piggybacked my radar detector to the map lights, real simple and easy, and it keeps the wiring out of sight, took all of ten minutes if that to do, and sure the radar detector stays on all the time, but it doesnt draw that much power to run.

I have a moonroof....and I know the moonroof doesn't work when the car isn't on ....could I just hard wire the radar detector into this wire?
Does anyone know exactly which wire this is? (I'm in the process of getting a copy of the dealer wiring book.)

Back