rx8 turbo kit?

Vulcanon

:
Laser Blue MP3-T #1242
I would have thought a turbokit for the rx8 would be out by now, any news from you rotary people? =)

HKS, Greddy, and blitz are all working on one, but are having issues with the engine sitting so far back in the bay. Its hard to make a decent flowing mani, when its so far back.

I figured we'd have seen a good supercharger set-up similar to a Paxton or ProCharger. There is more than enough room under the hood for mounting and intake plumbing. This should've taken no more than 1 month. Fab a mounting bracket, weld up your intake plumbing, handle the ECU. I wish I worked for Procharger and had access to their parts so I could build kits for all of my vehicles. They're very easy to do, almost easier than turbos.

I'm considering selling my mp3 after next summer, perhaps if the rx8 comes down in price a bit more... hrm, well, long time away ^_^

according to my servicer manager they are having a hell of a tiem making a turbo setup for the rx8's because the ports are so far apart compared to the old models. he says if anything a supercharger is going to be the only way to go on these

I just don't understand why you wouldnt just drop the money down on a 3rd gen RX-7 that was twin turbo'd from the factory?
Having seen under the hood of an RX-8 I don't see it happening anytime soon? shrugg...

The renesis is a whole new design on the rotary. It's designed to last longer than 50K miles. Also, detonation from a turbo set-up is what caused the 13B to be so unreliable. A low boost centrifugal supercharger should be able to add 30-40% more power with no loss of reliability. All I would add is an in-line boost-a-pump to keep everything flowing and you would be good to go. I would estimate an RX8 supercharger would run $4K. Also, the instant boost would seriously help it's low-end torque problem.

RX-7 had overheating issues, and the forced induction did not help it much. Any time you increased boost more then 3-4 PSI over factory, you ran the risk of blowing APEX seals.

The Renisis is a total redesign of the old 13b. It is more efficient in the cooling dept, and from what the Mazda engineers said about the engine, it can take a few psi of boost. :D

boostisgood said:
RX-7 had overheating issues, and the forced induction did not help it much. Any time you increased boost more then 3-4 PSI over factory, you ran the risk of blowing APEX seals.

The Renisis is a total redesign of the old 13b. It is more efficient in the cooling dept, and from what the Mazda engineers said about the engine, it can take a few psi of boost. :D

Exhaust and intake ports have been redisgned to now overlap on the same phase. Its physically the same housings as all 13b's except for new port design. There is also a new rotor design with an extra seal to prevent oil seepage located on the center of the rotor. It uses an off the shelf tranni from the 6-spd Miata with a carbon fiber driveshaft.

A company called SSR in Vegas already has a turbo on the renesis motor, they're just working out the kinks.

Last edited:
who the hell cares?? The rotary engine (especially a force fed) is a car lovers dream! I'd be very happy to get 50K miles out of a true, pure race car! Look at all of those nascar guys who have to build motors after every race. Now look at the star mazda cars. They have the same renesis motors making the same power and they are ruling the league!! They estimate that over 70% of racers in that circuit (forgot its name) will switch over to the star mazda cars in the next 5 years. The weight, the power, the power to weight!! It's awesome. If you can slightly boost the renesis achieve 50% power....why not?!!?!

Back