Mazda3 Test Drive

shaundarbie

:
2006 Mazda 3s Sedan 5-speed
Well, my wife and I went to the local dealer yesterday to test drive a 6, but before we could even get to them the saleman made us drive a 3. :) He was excited because they'd just come in yesterday, and we were probably the first younger couple to see one. Anyway, he had one on the showroom floor with an auto tranny and 17" wheels (very nice looking) but I wanted to drive a 5 spd. He put me in a black 4 door, 2.3L, 5 spd. w/16" wheels, cloth interior. It was a blast to drive! The 2.3L has plenty of power for a car that size, and definately tons more (170 vs. 125) than my 2.0L 5 spd 626. The shifter was perfect, with nice short throws. I wasn't too fond of the soft clutch, but that was about it. The gauges are VERY cool at night, as they add a blue ring that goes around the gauges. It felt very stable in the little cornering I was able to do. With a sticker price of $16,900, I might have to reconsider getting a Mazda6 S...

This car is bound to sell very well!

That's what I thought too, but I read somewhere that the 2.3L in the 3 got 170hp vs. 160hp in the 6...I'll try to verify that...

Yeah, they had a few 5 doors. I didn't want to drive one, as I'm not a big fan of the 3 wagons. Actually, the salesman pointed out a wagon w/2.3L and auto tranny that was actually selling for less than the 4 door I drove...probably because of option packages...

Ok, I figured it out. A recent C&D article says this:

"Engine choices will be a 150-hp 2.0-liter and the 2.3-liter four-cylinder from the Mazda 6, upgraded to 170 horsepower."

Click here to read the article.

The Mazda website has hp ratings for the 2.0L and 2.3L as 145hp and 160hp, respectively. I would tend to belive Mazda...!

The Mazda website has hp ratings for the 2.0L and 2.3L as 145hp and 160hp, respectively. I would tend to belive Mazda...!

I would tend to disagree with this. With the recent HP debacle over the RX8's HP rating, the folks at HQ are going to advertise lower than actual HP figures.

Back