auto mazda 3 or manual

bigd

:
ford focus, and ford aspire
i am planning on getting a mazda 3, i like the autostick but the manual seems more appealing to me when it come to modding the engine. the other things is that the auto stick seems more appealing since when i get the car i have to start commuting to San francisco, and the traffic sucks there. For the people that have the auto stick p5, have you done any performance mods and have you done any force induction? the autostick has 4 speeds and the manual has 5 speeds, what i want to know is the fifth gear in the manual a usable gear or is it like overdrive? thanks Big D:) :D

I would if I knew anything about the autostick. All I can tell you is that my MSP is my 1st 5spd & I'll never drive auto again. :D

Go manual.. its way more fun to drive!.. Test drive both and see which one you wouldnt mind living with. I personally will never go auto again after my P5 being my first stick car.

Yes it can be tedious to have a stick in traffic, but when you're not in traffic, you will be sooooo happy you got a stick.

The difference between auto and a stick is amazing.

Elemental is right, test drive both and pick what you liked better.

moeed

My wrx has been in the shop for 3 weeks now and I've had to drive an automatic minivan. Besides the part about it being a minivan, it's only cemented the fact that I'll never drive automatic again...

bigd said:
i am planning on getting a mazda 3, i like the autostick but the manual seems more appealing to me when it come to modding the engine. the other things is that the auto stick seems more appealing since when i get the car i have to start commuting to San francisco, and the traffic sucks there. For the people that have the auto stick p5, have you done any performance mods and have you done any force induction? the autostick has 4 speeds and the manual has 5 speeds, what i want to know is the fifth gear in the manual a usable gear or is it like overdrive? thanks Big D:) :D

5th gear in the manual and 4th gear in the auto are both overdrives. Autosticks are good for holding a gear in a turn but the delay between shift demand and completion has always been too long IMO. If you want to tune I would go with the manual, you get an extra gear and faster acceleration. I drive in Houston everyday and once you get used to it a manual is no big deal in traffic.

The only time I mind having a 5spd is in traffic, WHEN IM TRYING TO EAT!!! Other than that, Im happy with the 5 spd in any conditions.

If you need your right hand for other things quite often while driving and the car is just for commuting the auto would be a good choice I guess. Also being in San Fran (I have been there and remember hills everywhere!!) that could be a b**** at stop lights and the worst ever would be parallel parked with someone infront and behind you on a steep incline :eek: If you want to have more fun driving then the manual is the only way to go.

but can you drive a manual?
someone who knows how to drive a stick doesnt usually go back to auto...

youll regret getting the auto. everyone does. EVERYONE!!! :D

if you are afriad of getting manual because youve never driven it before dont rationalize that you need the auto for commuting. I'm not saying you personally are doing this, but many people do.

Get over the fear, drive the stick. A car is just a tool to get around if its an auto. A manual transimssion gives a car it's soul.

Too answer your other question, 5th will be used only on the highway in the manual. I have a feeling that with only 160HP it will pull like molassis in January. My WS6's 6 speed is overdriven in both 5th and 6th, but 6th is really only for better highway milage. I'm at only about 1600rpm at 70mph in 6th. If I could hit redline (impossible with only 350HP) in 6th it would be way over 200mph :D Top speed is actually achieved in 5th gear at around 155-160.

its not the 3, but multiple people have had issues with forced induction on the autostick Proteges. I would suggest that you get the manual if you are considering forced induction...

(redp5)
(wrc)

My Mother in law, Taught me how but it was very brief. My parents would not let me get a stick once i got my license when i was 16. the reason being is that they didn't know how to drive stick. the car that i have now is an automatic. I want something that is more fun. the hardest part for me is getting the car going after that it is easy.

If you like to play with the gears and the engine rev's then go with a stick. It will take you no time to get the hang of it. My first car was stick and I had driven all my parents' cqars with automatics.

I'm at my 4th new car and I always take the stick. In no time you won't even think about what you are doing. It will be second nature.

bigd said:
the hardest part for me is getting the car going after that it is easy.

You will get used to it fast. Just driving around for an afternoon and you will be set. Every car's clutch feel and engagment points are different and take little bit of adjusting when going from one vehicle to another. When starting out on an unfamiliar car just rev the engine slightly above idle and ease the clutch out until you feel it start to grab. Don't worry about riding the clutch a bit at low rpm's, you're not gonna burn it up.

Things NOT to do.....
Don't rev high and and ease out or you will smell burning clutch.
Don't rev only a little and drop the clutch or you will stall the engine.

It's not hard when you get used to it and like someone said you won't even think about it after a while. There should be no fear in learning to drive a stick. So many people just think that it is hard to do and never learn. They don't know what their missing :D Plus then they can't drive my car which is fine by me ;)

Manual

Scenario:
2 guys, both have money, have good jobs, are good looking...

One drives an auto, the other drives a stick.

Who gets the pretty girl?

...need I answer this?
:D

Back