The GT seems a little expensive vs GX

Canada. GX = $16195 GT = $21345

Thats a $5150 difference, excluding the additional $700+ for taxes on the GT.

Wtf? I wouldn't pay nearly $6000 extra for ONLY 10hp extra. I don't really care about the other stuff such as power windows. Big deal. If you get the Convinence package with the GX you'll still be saving $5000+ and you'll have keyless entry, power locks, cd player + 2 extra speakers....ect.

Yea I sure wouldn't buy the GT. The 10hp isn't worth it, and I can roll down the windows myself.

There's more than just the engine difference, and even the engine is much more than just 10hp. The 2.3l has SVT, balancing shafts and most significantly, a much better torque curve. Overall, the 2.3l is a significant step above the 2.0l.

But ok, let's compare the GX with convenience vs the base GT:

-air conditioning (which is another $1,000 to your GX price) but standard on the GT
- 15-inch hubcaps vs 16-inch alloys
- no ABS vs ABS
- black door handles vs body coloured
- heated mirrors (important in Canada) on the GT
- no intermittent wipers vs rain-sensing intermittent wipers
- auto light control on the GT
- fog lights on the GT
- tweeters on the GT
- cruise control on the GT
- power windows on the GT
- anti-theft on the GT
- 2-tone seats and carbon trim on the GT
- leather wrapped steering wheel and tranny knob on the GT
- last, but definitely not least, electroluminscent gauges on the GT

Obviously it's your opinion whether or not all the stuff above is worth $5,000 but it's most definitely not $5,000 just for 10 more hp.

Edit: spelling

I obviously know that it is more then just the 10hp. But how most of the stuff is quite pointless. The real big things, like leather and sunroof you have to pay extra for on the GT.

Power-Windows, I sort of find them annoying when I drive my moms car, especially the AUTO feature. I don't mind manual windowns.

A/C - it is canada.

Heated mirrors, my moms car has them, meh I never use them. I've never had a problem with them in my non-heated mirror car.

Body colored handles....lol

all the stuff put together is worth $1500, not $5000.

:wtf: :confused: So........ mennn.................. just buy a GX then.... and let us be happy of ALL THE FEATURE's we can get for this extra 5K , please let me be happy with my newly signed GT GFX Ti , and just buy yourself a GX.....

I know i know, you will have more muscle than me with the manual window, manual mirrors,

but, i will have my butt better seated than you , at least ill be able to lower myself on the bottom of the car so my head clear the sunroof... or, let us idolate our electroluminescent gauges, our steering wheel with some leather, let us like our ABS feature, our more ''sticky'' and stiff attitude with either 16 or 17 mag... let us like our fogs on humid day's. our bigger brakes, and so....

hey, and you forgot also the Alarm system, body collored exterior mirrors (yeah, for some people like me, it change all the look) i hate black stripes and black door handles...

Well also have side skirt and a less SMILEY underhood grill....

I have a 88 Fiero (with a 3800 Supercharged) aka FAST. No options.

My mom has a 2001 Acura TL

My dad has a 2000 C70 Volvo Coupe

I've driven both my parents car. I find the leather, sunroof, interior design the key things.

Air Conditioning I almost never use - Canada
ABS - Only for brainless people, I think quality tires for the right season are more important.
Special Gauges - Wow, big deal.
15 vs 16 inch wheels - 16 inch is still small and you would want to get some 17's if you are into looks.

ON top of all that, you will lose big time on resale value. I know I was in the market for a used RSX. The RSX-S barely fetches $1,000 more then a Premium on average. When new the difference is over $4000.

Same with the 3-Series BMW. My brother took a look at a bunch of used ones. You can buy a 2002 330CI for $40,000. Yet a 2000 323CI is around $33,000 with double the kms. MSRP on a 330CI is was more then it was on 323CI. The point is people just always look at the base model. (Unless it is quite a bit different - M3)

Even furthur take a look at a 1992 3-Series. It doesn't matter if it is a 325IS fully loaded or a 318iS with no leather no sunroof, if the mileage is relatively the same, the price is relatively the same.

Just my 2 cents. Bash me now.

and PS, I probably will just buy a GX 5speed just for a daily driver. I think for $16,125 it is a AWESOME deal with 150hp.

I agree with you, but i had a 2000 LX Touring (aka ES in states...)
and a 10 wheels truck bashed me... it is totaled now...
i got the new valor feature on my inssurances...

my car was worth 22000$...

what do you think i will do? pay 1 K $, and take a GT GFX ? or a 2003 ES GT and pay nothing...

i just bought a new GT GFX tonight..

all depend on what you expect from the car, you seem to have a lot of high end car... that's my main and i keep them for long, so i like to have some luxe... or a little bit of.....

and where in canada do you live? last time I checked southern ontario is in CANADA and has at least 3.5 months of 30 degree average daytime weather... using "CANADA" as your excuse not to have AC is lame

and apparently, you don't know how to use power windows either... what's so "annoying" about the auto feature? if you don't want to use it, DON'T mash the damn button all the way down... there's 2 detents for the DOWN function ya know :rolleyes:

Whats so bad about Fieros?
My weekend warrior. I spent 11 months putting it together. Around 280hp, I haven't dynoed it yet. My best run is 12.4 at 109 MPG. The car could do 12.1-12.2 with drag radials. Best part is the whole project cost me only $9700 CND, including rims, tires, the donor car, donor engine, ect.

Thats one of the reasons I think $5000 extra for GT is BS. With $5000 I could make the GX a 200+ HP lowered on some nicer 17's car, with the right aftermarket support.

445986_5_full.jpg
295814_67_full.jpg

445986_2_full.jpg

Last edited:
Captain_Ron said:
I have a 88 Fiero (with a 3800 Supercharged) aka FAST. No options.

Air Conditioning I almost never use - Canada
ABS - Only for brainless people, I think quality tires for the right season are more important.

I think for $16,125 it is a AWESOME deal with 150hp.

First of all, since when was the 88 Fiero available with a Supercharged 3800? (No need to answer; that was a rhetorical question. There was NO S/C 3800 available, even as an extra cost option. In order to have one, you had to spend buku dollars modifying the car, and not just the drivetrain. So, in other words, you spent a lot of money to modify your car... do you really want to open up to second-guessing from others on whether or not it was money well-spent?) I'll congratulate you on doing something special with your car but, as to whether or not it was what I would do (or whether or not you'll ever get a fraction of your money back, since resale was one of your points of contention with the GX vs. GT), I'll hesitate to comment because, frankly, I don't believe it's cool to critique someone else on their choice (especially since your choices are demonstrably so far out of the realm of mainstream)...

Secondly, A/C is a key element in defroster performance and, though you can do without it, the fact is that a car in Canada will defrost it's windows in the dead of winter MUCH quicker. I'd take A/C-equipped cars, even (maybe ESPECIALLY) in the frozen tundra in which I now live...

ABS... again, this is a GOOD thing, definitely not a brainless add-on that even an expert driver in bad weather would never benefit from; to suggest that it's just for "brainless" people is, at best, a pretty insulting way to refer to the vast majority of people who benefit from this equipment (assuming that the minority of people who might not benefit- and I believe that number to exclude expert drivers like Schumacher- might include you) and, at worst, a pretty "brainless" thing to say. I'll take my ABS-equipped car and out-brake a non-ABS-equipped version of the same car into the first corner every time...

Finally, the GX is a great deal at it's pricepoint... and the GT, even with the premium over the GX, is also a great deal. There are very few cars that offer this comprehensive a list of equipment in this segment and, to my knowledge, none at this pricepoint. (Even if there was another car in this segment with this equipment level at this pricepoint, I would not assume that the GT is not a good deal.)

Bottom-line: You have a right to your opinion but to insult anybody (arguably, most everybody else) is really not a good way to make your points. In fact, I think the responses are unanimously against you... and, I'd wager it's because of HOW you said it more than WHAT you said (though some of your points are pretty dubious). Take care, man... BTW: Is your S/C 3800 mated to an A/T or an M/T (and, if M/T, where'd you get the M/T?)

Thanks for the correct spelling...

That Fiero looks great. One question, though... and I think this is relevant: How much time did you personally spend doing all of the work yourself and did you account for that in your total cost? If you'd had somebody else do all of that work, how much would it have run you? I'm guessing you could double the cost of your car, easily, if not triple it... if you somehow totaled your car, I'd think you'd argue that it was worth more than $9700, if only because of all the work that went into it.

I know, because when I was younger, I modified my first car (no where as much as you did, by the way) and when it was stolen, I had to provide receipts for all of the work I claimed to have done to it. Parts are one thing; Labor's another... and, the insurance company wasn't into paying me for unsubstantiated work (or work that I hadn't paid somebody else to do). Maybe things are different now... talking early '80s here.

I can say that I have neither the time nor the will (working too many hours and wanting to spend more time with wife/kids will do that) to build my own anymore, hence the appreciation for a car that I don't have to modify (much) to enjoy.

BTW: As a historical note, "GT" stands for "Grand Touring", versus "Sports" or "Race" cars. GT cars were well equipped high speed cars meant to transport more than one person in comfort and effortlessly over long distances. No way I'd suggest that a 3 GT would fit that exact definition but I would also hesitate to suggest that it would be, as stock, suitable for racing (as you're doing with your Fiero)... maybe the Mazdaspeed would be more to your liking?

787B said:
Secondly, A/C is a key element in defroster performance and, though you can do without it, the fact is that a car in Canada will defrost it's windows in the dead of winter MUCH quicker. I'd take A/C-equipped cars, even (maybe ESPECIALLY) in the frozen tundra in which I now live...

I got an 80s car without A/C that has a really good heating system. Works just as well as another car with A/C.
I think it all depends on how they design the air system too, I think.

I still think the GX is the far better deal. There isn't much you can buy for $16,125 that has 150hp and looks decent. The Corolla is about the same price except only 130hp and looks way worse. Civic Coupe is $16,000 but 114hp I think? Looks worse too.

So I think the GX is a hell of a deal for a daily driver with some zip.

The GT 5spd - If you load it up it is around $24,000. For that kind of money you can get some decent cars.

BTW. I have a 5 speed manual Getrag in the Fiero. It has held up well.

Captain_Ron said:
The GT 5spd - If you load it up it is around $24,000. For that kind of money you can get some decent cars.

My question is: What cars can you get that are that nice for around $24,000?

Hmmmm... not in a Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Suzuki... do I even have to mention the Korean's or the domestics? (Unless Kia opted to actually produce the Elan... that would be neat)

In my opinion, Mazda has always had the nicest, most interesting vehicles at their price point. I have always wondered why they haven't done as well as Toyota with sales...

By the way, I have owned:

1986 323GTX - cool, fast and fun in the snow and dirt...
1988 626GT - still miss this fast family hauler *
1990 323 - cheap quality transportation
1991 RX-7 - a blast, fast, neat... and I wish I never sold it!
1997 B2300 - Ford quality ( don't buy their trucks)
1998 Protege - good family car, sporty pretences

* My friend owns a MSP, and I love the way it handles, but couldn't Mazda squeeze some more power out of it? The 626GT had a 12 valve, 2.2L SOHC turbocharged engine that stock made 165HP and 195lb-ft, slight wastegate modification and she was running around 200HP/200lb-ft...

Back