Rotary Miata?

Geo212

:
1991 Mazda Miata
With everyone swapping in V-8's why not trying a rotary. Does anyone have info on a 13B swap for a Miata. Maybe a renessaince rotary(RX-8), 13BTT (RX-7), or maybe even a 20B(saw it in a mag, 2000cc 4-rotor Rotary). Getting ahead of myself, but all of that sure would be nice.

Rotary+Miata=(drive)(burnout) :D

Been done.......

If you can swap a a 13B into a Starlet...they can go into the Miata. You will need a Ford 9" rear end.

here is the problem;

The centerline of the crankshaft, where the flywheel will be attached and the drive genrated from, on a recip piston engine is in the lowest point of the block, whereas on a rotary engine this is in the middle. The problem then becomes making the trans fit through the firewall which either involves cutting or making a new subframe/engine mount that will likely be non streetable because of oil pan clearance issures. I would love to see it be able to be easily swapped as my g/f miata would be fast with a cosmo 13btt : )

There is a co. in Au that sells a complete subframe, weld in 1/2 chassis style, swap for 1st gen miata's to convert to the Fc 13b T, can even get the hood for intercooler complete with T2 scoop. Good luck and keep dreaming. It's good for you : )

They are rumors of making the 2005 Miata off a shortened version of the RX-8's chassis but with a Piston motor, and that would lend itself easily to a 13b or 20b swap :D

Sdrotary2 said:
here is the problem;

The centerline of the crankshaft, where the flywheel will be attached and the drive genrated from, on a recip piston engine is in the lowest point of the block, whereas on a rotary engine this is in the middle. The problem then becomes making the trans fit through the firewall which either involves cutting or making a new subframe/engine mount that will likely be non streetable because of oil pan clearance issures. I would love to see it be able to be easily swapped as my g/f miata would be fast with a cosmo 13btt : )

There is a co. in Au that sells a complete subframe, weld in 1/2 chassis style, swap for 1st gen miata's to convert to the Fc 13b T, can even get the hood for intercooler complete with T2 scoop. Good luck and keep dreaming. It's good for you : )

Wow, sounds to complicated for my budget. Thanx for the info.

There was a company a few years back doing this swap out of Sacramento.
dont recall the name, but total price was about 12k including programable ecu.

Better off just slapping a turbo on the BP motor. The swap is to difficult and not worth the money IMO.

mazdatrix had a kit once for this, not sure what ever became of it. www.mazdatrix.com they might still offer it. if not try e-mailing them. they had a swap for the 13b but not sure of price, i am sure it isn't cheap :(

it's been done successfully. mazdatrix has done it for a customer. check it out on their website. sorry dont have the addy. but i'm sure you could find it on a search engine

Back