I drove one today...

Spooled

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Well, I got to drive a couple Mazda3's today. I work in television and got invited to a ride-and-drive put on by Mazda in Ann Arbor, MI. We had a little intro, discussed the options and key points, then took them out for an hour-and-a-half drive through some very twisty and scenic roads.

My first impression was that it is a very nice looking car. The fit and finish are great for a car in the $16k range. The textures of the interior are perfect. It doesn't look cheap, and everything is tight and rigid. I wish that we had them for a little at night so I could see the EL gauges in action. I assume they look just like the RX-8, though, since they were stollen from it. The seats are a nice cross between sporty and comfort with lumbar and height controls.

I drove a black 2.3L sedan with a 5-speed first. I own a MazdaSpeed and so the first thing that I noticed was that the shifter was in the right place! The car also has a telescoping/tilting steering wheel which was great. The clutch was a little light for my taste and took some getting used to, but is good for everyday driving.

The engine has good power, and I think that is will have amazing potential. There is plenty of room under the hood to fit a turbo-charger! It has a good amount of torque for city driving, and I lit up the 205/50/17's a few times. The transmission is unbelievably smoother than my MSP, and you can actually shift down into 1st while moving!

The suspension wasn't nearly as aggresive as my MSP's, but I didn't expect it to be. This car could be a road course champ with upgraded struts and springs. The chassis is super rigid, and I believe I heard them say that it is shared with the Volvo S40. I felt pretty comfortable taking the turns pretty fast.

Here is my mainproblem with the Mazda3:
When I started getting on it in the twisties, I needed to watch the tach because of how quite and smooth the engine and tranny are. The problem is that the tach is on the left side and I couldn't see it with my left hand on the wheel while I shifted with my right hand! I bet that the first thing that a lot of people will do is swap the IP with one from an RX-8 (I would).

Well that's my take on the Mazda3. A great car for the price, and I think that it will make a VERY strong base for tuners. If I were to buy one to play with, here are the first things that I'd do:

1. Move that tach somewhere useful!
2. Replace the clutch with a strong one and get some bigger pedals (the brake pedal is about 3.5" wide)
3. Coil-over suspension

Once you have that stuff taken car of, upgrade the exhaust, intake, and boost that b*tch. I think we'll see some nice cars not too long after the November release in CA.

EDIT: I drove both the 5-door auto and the sedan 5-speed. They felt almost exactly the same.

you are in ann arbor?

I go to school at u of m!

You should pm me soemtime and we could get together i have a black msp. Also i have a buddy who has a yellow mp3 who is doing a fse swap really soon. Nice to see another speed around the area.

Thanks! I did take some hard corners and was really driving it to the breaking point a lot of the time. There is a lot of body roll compared to my MSP, but with a little money into the suspension, wheels/tires, and a beefy strut brace, this thing would cut into the turns very nicely!I can tell you, though, that it held up in the turns better than the new Lancer RalliArt.

I live in Livonia, but the ride-and-drive was at the UofM stadium. I am selling my Speed right now because I am getting a house and $400/mo isn't helping me. But to tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind getting into a cheaper Mazda3 sedan 2.3 when they come out...

Great Review!...I have a feeling the Tuners in this community are already thinking about mods for the Mazda 3...I'm very interested to see what they come up with...who will produce the 1st turbo kit?

I remember the Mazda MP3 started with just 1 obscure kit hitting the market and now this community has become TURBO crazy!

I think many had doubts about Mazda's replacement for the Proteg...but no longer...sounds like a winner (thumb)

Cool review.....so what will a loaded sedan with 5 speed and the 2.3 engine go for ??? The Mazda3s is on my list for a new "fun" daily driver next spring. Can't wait for the Auto show here Minneapolis.

Lola 2.0 said:
The loaded 3s will run around 19-20k Those funky option packages add up quick.

So, would that be the MSRP?? MSP's are stickered at $21,000, but you can get them just about anywhere for under $18,000.

Prices

The range of pricing will be from as low as $16k for a basic sedan 2.0L in "I" trim, all the way up to $23k for a fully-loaded 5-door with the 2.3L. Fully-loaded is really loaded, though, including a navigation system, leather, and 17" wheels!

my opinon

I sat in one today, at the anahiem convestion show, i sat in the 4 door not the 5 door, it was on a floating platform. anyhoo it was nice on the interior, like it was previously said, but the interior feels way cramped to me compared to my P5, but then again I am 6'5 so who knows..... i'd take one in a heartbeat 160 hp, not to shappy!
thats just my .02 cents on the situation

mazda 3

Hello i am new to the club. i am usually a ford man but for my next car i figure i would stay in the ford family but try something different:) I plan on getting a mazda 3 hatchback auto. i was wondering does anybody know how the duretec engine auto will hold up to a turbo or a supercharger. I heard that it is the same engine in the ranger but different heads, correct me if i am wrong. thanks Derrick Holland

dugrant153 said:
Spooled, when you hit bumps, did you lose a bit of control? Or did the car stay planted?

Any rain? ;)

The car stayed planted pretty well over bumps, but the suspension is softer than my MSP that I'm used to. We didn't hit any rain, but there were a few dirt roads on the path they had setup for us. Getting on it through turns on the dirt didn't show as much understeer as I expected.

Spooled said:
The car stayed planted pretty well over bumps, but the suspension is softer than my MSP that I'm used to. We didn't hit any rain, but there were a few dirt roads on the path they had setup for us. Getting on it through turns on the dirt didn't show as much understeer as I expected.

that's pretty sweet!!!

Well, the MSP is super tuned to a very stiff suspension, right?

Did you feel the car had adequate power?

How was the shifter feel?

(sorry, I love the info... hehehe)

Also, welcome to the club, bigd!

interview in Detroit News

Well, one of the other journalists at the Mazda3 preview in Ann Arbor interviewed me. I didn't expect her to use much, if any, of the interview. It turns out that I was a big part of the whole article on the front page of the "Drive" section in the Detroit News on the November 5th. The only thing that I don't remember saying was "squirm factor". I don't even know what that means.

Oh well, it's a good article, and sort of funny to see that pop up. In fact, my Mazda dealer called me today about getting my payments down so I can keep my car. The person that sold me the car a 7 months ago recognized my name and I guess they like the free publicity. Maybe something good will come out of it...

Re: interview in Detroit News

Spooled said:
Well, one of the other journalists at the Mazda3 preview in Ann Arbor interviewed me. I didn't expect her to use much, if any, of the interview. It turns out that I was a big part of the whole article on the front page of the "Drive" section in the Detroit News on the November 5th. The only thing that I don't remember saying was "squirm factor". I don't even know what that means.

Oh well, it's a good article, and sort of funny to see that pop up. In fact, my Mazda dealer called me today about getting my payments down so I can keep my car. The person that sold me the car a 7 months ago recognized my name and I guess they like the free publicity. Maybe something good will come out of it...

Wow, so it was you - I was wondering if it was you given your post here and having read the article.

Small world.

Back