Contributor
:
'07 Mazda3, True red
HOW TO: paint calipers

Painting Brake Calipers
Source of how to: Groharlem
From site: http://mazdaprotege.net
Model Years: Any Make/Model Estimated Time: 03:00
In this article, you will learn how to spraypaint your own brake calipers. These instructions will generally be the same for any car since you don't have to disassemble anything besides taking the wheels off. If you have a newer car, you probably won't have to clean your brakes very much, but if you have an older car (like mine), then this whole process may take longer than you think. I was scraping off rust/brakdust for about 30 minutes per caliper before I painted them. If you have a new car, all you'll need to do is prep, paint and let it dry.

This is the wire brush that you will need if you have an older car. The brush pictured under "Tools you will need" didn't work for me so I went out and bought this brush which worked very well.
Tools you will need:
dirtycaliper.jpg

Floor-Jack & Jack Stands
21mm Socket and Breaker Bar
Prying tool (only if you have hubcaps/center caps)
Roll of Masking Tape
2 Weekday Newspapers, or 1 Sunday Newspaper
Wire Brush (for cleaning brakes) ($2.99)
Can of Brake Cleaner ($3.99)
Can of Caliper or Engine 1500 Degree Spray Paint (500 degree may come off over time) ($4-6)
Hammer (not pictured)

Installation Instructions:
1: Park your car in a well-ventilated area. Using the 21mm breaker bar, loosen your lug nuts on all 4 wheels. Jack up car, and securely lower it onto jackstands. Remove lugnuts and then remove wheel. You can do two wheels at a time, but I used 4 jackstands and did them all at the same time.
2: Inspect your caliper for dirt or rust (notice how nasty my caliper is :( )
firstcoat.jpg

3: Spray the brake-cleaner all over the caliper (it should dry very quickly). After that, start to brush away the rust and brake dust off the caliper. This may take quite some time. After about 20 minutes of brushing away, i still could see stuff coming off it. Its up to you when to stop. To help get the rust peices off, you might want to take a hammer and gently tap the rust peices. When the rust peices come loose, you'll see them turn black. Use the wire brush to scrape them away.
4: Using the newspapers, cover the roto and hub and use the masking tape to connect the newspaper together (so the wind won't blow it away while its drying).. Also cover the crossmember with newspaper, and Tape some newspaper all along the inside of the wheel well, to protect from overspray.

Use the masking tape to tape the various rubber fittings / brakelines on your caliper, your bleeder valve, rotor, piston, and bolts (if you don't want to paint them). I used tape to cover the backplates of the brakepads. If you do this, MAKE SURE that the tape is on there. All 4 of my brakepad backplates are now painted with weird designs b/c my tape didn't hold the paint out very well. I will probably just brush over them later with the paint.

5: Shake up the can of Caliper paint and quickly spray the caliper up and down. Repeat until it is covered in paint, but be sure to do it in quick sweeps rather than slow ones, otherwise the paint will run and drip off.
6: Let it dry for a little. I put a total of 3 coats on each caliper (and metal still shows through :( ).
7: While your waiting for the front two to dry, Go over to the rear and inspect the calipers for dirt
8: Use the wire brush and brake cleaner to clean off all the crappy brake dust and rust from the caliper. It took me about twice as long to clean the rears than the front due to their strange shape and various crevices
9: Cover the rear the same as the front.
preppedrear.jpg
Be sure to cover the piston and rotor from paint as it can affect brake performance if overspray gets in there. Be sure to cover the TTL and cross member peices. I didn't, thinking that the paint wouldn't touch them and I ended up getting paint all over one of the cross members :(
10: Coat the rears with paint as described in step 5
11: Apply a couple more thin coats and allow each coat to dry for 15-30 minutes.
12: after all the calipers are dry, carefully take off all the newspaper, and masking tape to reveal the finished result (notice the paint got onto the brake pad backplate and also on some other parts :(
oopsoverspray.jpg

13. Put your wheels back on, tighten the lugs to the correct torquespecs and lower the vehicle back onto the ground.
14: Properly discard all newspapers and masking tape into the trash

Last edited:
Do you have any pix of the finished project? Do you think it would be easier if you took the pads off?

Save yourself some time and brush the paint on. That way, you won't spend hours taping everything off.

when i did my calipers i removed them from the rotor, pulled out the pads, hung the caliper with a wire hanger inside the wheel well, used newspaper and tape to mask everything off, and spraypainted them. a little extra work but the super clean results were well worth it. couple hours to do all four.

Spray or Brush?

Isnt' it safer to brush on the paint...........has nebody ever done it like this and is there ne site where i can see the painting process?

Brush it on. I did about two months ago with Duplicolor Hugh Heat and it worked great.
Notice the dirt road...not one chip yet!
fc79440a.jpg

Nope. It took me about three-four hours to put 4-5 coats on all four wheels. Here's an old post of mine ;)

The reason for brushing is that it takes forever to tape everything off. I used a Big Gulp cup with a paper towel over the lid to minimize over-spray(as I filled it up) for my paint cup. Worked great.
To clean the calipers I used a wire-brush drill-bit from Ace Hardware, and my cordless drill. It took about 10min per wheel. Make sure everythings nice and shiny before you start painting.

Another trick that I found is to use a sponge-brush to paint with. The sponge brush won't leave those "lines" that you get after painting with a regular brush. Also it's a good idea to have a couple extra paint brushes around...

One more suggestion: Jack the car up so that you can do two wheels at a time, that way when you're done with one side, the other will be dry and ready for another coat. Back and forth. I did 4 or 5 coats with Duplicolor 1200 degree paint ($4.95)and the calipers look almost rubberized.

(sorry,derrick1623, for the thread-jack)

Last edited:
Anyone here tried the G2 Caliper paint? It's only rated to 900 something degrees, but I remember reading good things about it on other forums. Just wondering what you guys thought about the quality of it.

I used G2 paint on my calipers. The stuff is really good. It's very rubbery and shinny.
I read on some other post about someone using the G2 and running out of paint, I don't know what he did wrong, but I put on 3 coats and could've put 2 more!!!

No brush marks: When you brush it on you think that you'll have brush marks on the paint but it evens out on it's own so no marks whatsoever.

How I did mine:
-Lifted whole car on stands (G2 last for 4-6 hours so it's much better to do all 4 at once)
-Cleaned all calipers, that was a pain
-Took off the allen bolt from the bottom of the front calipers so I could swing the caliper up/down and get to the underside/back easier.
-Painted. Now, with this paint you HAVE to be patient, the paint dries thick. The 1st coat has to be extremely light, really spread it out. Then just do the same type of covering for the next coats until you're satisfied with the results.

Since I painted all calipers one after the other, by the time I got to the last one it was time for the 2nd coat on the first caliper (15 minutes dry between coats).

Like I said, I got 3 coats from the paint and could've applied 2 more, this paint dries thick and rubbery, if you overdo a coat it'll be hard to paint over it and it'll look uneven.

Painted my calipers today.
Got the G2 paint. (blue) s*** it was hot outside!
I only had 2 jacks so i started with the front's first. Was very happy with the outcome. I had many size brushes and was able to get into all the nooks and cranny's with ease.
THEN...by the time i moved to the rear and got the jacks moved and wheels off...the paint was like rubber cement. It was just way to hot out to let the paint sit untouched for 10 minutes.
So i had to give up and throw it away.
Now i have to go back and get more next week to finish the rear.
None the less, it looks sweet! I was very happy with the G2! Makes them look like brandy new calipers!! Now i am just dyin to go back and finish the job!
SO i would severely recommend not using the G2 when its as hot as hell outside!
Will post piks soon!

AbbyVonNormal said:
Painted my calipers today.
Got the G2 paint. (blue) s*** it was hot outside!
I only had 2 jacks so i started with the front's first. Was very happy with the outcome. I had many size brushes and was able to get into all the nooks and cranny's with ease.
THEN...by the time i moved to the rear and got the jacks moved and wheels off...the paint was like rubber cement. It was just way to hot out to let the paint sit untouched for 10 minutes.
So i had to give up and throw it away.
Now i have to go back and get more next week to finish the rear.
None the less, it looks sweet! I was very happy with the G2! Makes them look like brandy new calipers!! Now i am just dyin to go back and finish the job!
SO i would severely recommend not using the G2 when its as hot as hell outside!
Will post piks soon!
Makes sense since (from G2 site):
"Detailed Application Instructions:
HELPFUL HINTS
PaintSystem has a shelf life of six months and must be used between 56-70F (13-21C). Higher temperatures will cause paint to harden faster than normal.
Once the paint and reactor are mixed, there are only 4-6 hours working time. After that, paint left in the can will harden and will not be useable. Plan application accordingly.
Also, reactor jar may be difficult to open. DO NOT use channel locks, vises, etc. to open glass jars. If lid is tight, run under hot water for 5 minutes, then open by hand."

I did it with the temp hovering around 56 and I thought I was pressed for time and I jacked up the ENTIRE car, which is what I recommend doing.

edit:eek:h yeah, I can't see your pics :( you should upload them to your user space on the forum.

Last edited:
ya i know i caught all that...was just too impatient to wait much longer! and after all the rain, i had been sitting on the painf for a loooong time just itchin to get it on.
It was all worth it in the end....

let see if it works this time
Calipers...N Stuff

Last edited:
Yeah, I was the opposite. I had to wait and wait for the temperature to get up to 56, it was too cold.

That blue looks real nice with the car color :D

This is an easy cosmetic that makes a for a nice look!! I can't tell you how much I like mine since doing it. I have the rear to go, but the fronts bring it out!!

MisterT

Back