Indy Points event #1

This past weekend I competed out of my region in Indianapolis. (Yes I live here, but I race in a city about 30 miles south) Anyway, I had been there before but didn't have very good luck so I was a bit hesitant and nervous.
Got up about 6:30 to go outside and play with the puppies in the backyard. It was warm, about 70 and no wind, and I was in a t-shirt and jeans. Figured I might just take a long sleeve shirt in case I end up in the shade somewhere. As the day went on, it got colder, windier, and the skies were an ugly gray.
Temps dropped into the high 40's, but it was still race day!
We had 108 cars registered for the event. Great turnout. I raced in the first of 3 heats. All stock classes and super stock were in my heat. I put in 4 consistent, but constantly improving runs. Ended up first in GS and second in my heat. (Finished behind a man named Clemens Burger, a past national champion. He was in c-stock)
As the day went on, the wind picked up and the temps didn't. It was actually somewhat miserable, and more than 1/2 of the people finishing in trophy positions didn't stay for the awards.
All in all, it was a fun day. The cold made grip almost non-existant as I slid my way to a little more than a second lead in class. It was hard to keep grip at almost any speed. A little water and it could have been an ice rally.
Here's a question: do other regions have HUGE STS classes? we had 23 cars racing STS this weekend. Between that and STX we had an entire heat. Just a thought.
Results posted in my sig!

cjstringer,
It sounds as though you did an excellent job, as well as having fun.
Yes, STS is growing by leaps and bounds. The street mod classes in our area are also growing. The smallest is probably the SM2 right now but it is still growing. I think these were some of SCCA's better ideas in a long time.

We get large numbers of SM, SM2, STS, and STX. I think it works out well. It almost seems like STS and STX were made rather conveniently for Subarus though. Hmm, and who sponsors the divisional events, hmm, thath could be Subaru! Coincidence????
I thought about doing minor mods to get into STS as my times seem to be faster than theirs so far even being stock, but then I really don't want to spend then money, and I already know I'm beating them. :) I love this sport. A stock, 4door, underpowered mazda whoopin up on subarus. I love this country. :)

Make sure you take the opportunity to ride with someone who is decent at it. It will only make you better.
I'm no pro or anything, but I had people asking me for rides. Both of the guys that rode with me picked up over 5 seconds a lap after seeing how crazy I drive and learning what a car really will handle. I still can't fully reach the limits of this car. It's amazing what it can do that my brain is telling me it can't.
Other than that, have fun! I can't stress enough how much fun it is to talk about cars and mods all day with everyone! Some of the cars are BEAUTIFUL! There were 2001 M3's, a few nice porsches, Saabs, BADASS Corvettes, you name it, they're usually there. It is sweet to see all the toys. :)
Another tip: If it's a straight, put it to the floor! Our car doesn't have tons of power, and flooring it will get you there quicker. It took me a while to get used to it because I have rarely EVER done it on the street, but it does feel good once you can control it. These cars like to brake late, and the Dunlops hold really well.
Good luck, and I hope fun!

Unfortunately we aren't allowed to have ridealongs at our events. Good news for me tho is that this upcoming weekend I'll be taking an autoX school. For 60 bux I get some professional pointers, 15 - 20 runs through the course(with the instructor) during the day, a break for a provided lunch....a great deal I think!

KurtMP3,
Yes you do. It is great fun.

BigBlue,
It is good you are getting a school but I don't know why they don't allow ride alongs. It is a great teaching tool. When I drove the 944 turbo, that belonged to a novice, part way through the course he finally understood what I had been telling him.

Back