What's up w/ pricing of the RX-8?

EXA4DRIVER

:
04 Suzuka Blue S2000
I've seen the cars as cheap as $24,500+ tax lic fees, BRAND NEW (with the automatic though). Out here in the LA area, dealers are offering up to $4,000 off the MSRP. What's going on? I hear all these people saying that they would rather buy an RX-8 over a 350Z or an S2000, and yet the 350Z and S2000 are still selling better. And the 350Z and S2000 are still selling at MSRP! Common Mazda folks, NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN RX-8. It's a great car for the money.

edit in: On a side note, dealers are also offering $5,000 discounts off of MSRP on 03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege's.

Last edited:
RX-8's are definitely stacking up at the local dealers. There are approximately 80-90 RX-8's on Louisville area lots waiting for a new home. As I have been shopping for a MSP, I have taken notice and I am sure that bigger rebates for the 8 will be coming soon. One dealership alone has 30+ 8's

Reason why they are sitting there? Price. The car is geared towards younger enthusiast drivers but the only people in that segment that can afford them are looking more at European vehicles or familiar technology. ie. not rotaries.

The syling in the rear pillar and overall rear of the car doesn't help much either. But that is hit or miss. While it has grown on me some since its introduction, it hasn't overcome my sensibilities towards budget. I can honestly say that I love the styling of all three generations of RX-7's but the 8 kind of missed the boat for me.

Anywho, I wish the local dealers here would take $5000 off of the MSP, but they are only doing the $2000 rebate. Doh. I should have my MSP by this coming weekend, providing no disasters. I have my loan, I know which one I want. Just got to get the deal I want.

I thought they were trying to target an older demographic. Hence the 4 doors and the rear seats.

what dealers are you seeing these prices? my bro lives in los A and is looking at rx-8 vs the Z.

I hear from a friend who test drove it say that it is underpowered and looks cheap quality from the inside. He said he was going to get a crossfire instead. s*** I might trade in my P5 if the prices keep going down, especially since dealers want used P5's real bad.

Cheap is not what I would describe the 8 as- 239 ponies, 50-50 weight distribution, and I think it looks sick- if I hadn't become self employed this year I would definitely buy one at 5k off msrp.

The 8 simply is not worth the $31K its priced for. Anything over $25K will not move units. To price that car in the range of the Evo, STi and 350Z is killing its sales. Mazda needs to step up and reduce the price by $2K and then offer atleast a $2500 rebate.

glyph said:
what dealers are you seeing these prices? my bro lives in los A and is looking at rx-8 vs the Z.

Browning Mazda in Cerritos is offering a RX-8 with the Grand Touring Package, Apperance Package, Rear Spoiler, and Navigation System for $4,000 off of the MSRP.

"The 8 simply is not worth the $31K its priced for. Anything over $25K will not move units. To price that car in the range of the Evo, STi and 350Z is killing its sales. Mazda needs to step up and reduce the price by $2K and then offer atleast a $2500 rebate."

I totally agree with you 1stMP3. That's why I'm getting a Z :D

"I hear from a friend who test drove it say that it is underpowered and looks cheap quality from the inside. He said he was going to get a crossfire instead. s*** I might trade in my P5 if the prices keep going down, especially since dealers want used P5's real bad."

The RX-8 is a great car for the money. But what dealers want used P5's? I need to sell mine before December when my 350Z is scheduled to come in.

Cush Mazda in Escondido. The sales manager told me they were desperate for used P5's, apparently alot of people have been requesting. He told me he would work out a deal on any car i wanted. I'll still hol doff until Dec. maybe prices will drop further. $4000 of MSRP, wow, so with all that it's maybe $27000, still kind of expensive.

The inside of the 8 was fine to my eyes. easily in the 350Z's range. The power I have many times heard was extreamly lakcing. I would really like to take one out. Maybe next weekend.

drive it a couple times if you can. it is lacking somewhat in power, but definitely a refined ride. handling is better, seat is more comfortable (i am average sized, and my back wouldn't fit in the Z seat, was perfect in the rx8), vision is better in the 8, half the rear view mirror is obstructed, lots of hood in your view, and the interior is much better. The Z has lots of power and torque.

It's not lacking power...It lacks TORQUE.

The rotary has never been known for its torque except on turbo models. Hence the need for turbo on rotaries, IMHO.

I haven't driven the car, but would like to. I'd like to buy one as well, as I have heard the present owners seem satisfied with it. Which is also shown by the lack of returns due to the power rating fiasco.

At anyrate, EXA4DRIVER, why come on here complaining about sales when you aren't even buying one?

Originally posted by EXA4DRIVER
Common Mazda folks, NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY AN RX-8. It's a great car for the money.

AND...

That's why I'm getting a Z

1st MP3 in NH said:
(scratch)

He complains about huge rebates and no one buying one because he is buying a 350Z?

Your answer was vague, ala Nick...

There is an easy fix to the lack of power on the 8. Get rid of the California emissions tuning...

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?threadid=11614&perpage=15&highlight=ecu&pagenumber=9

They are getting some big horsepower gains with only fuel curve tweaks.

And to reply to the earlier post after mine, four doors doesn't mean a car is marketed towards geriatrics. Yes, by adding the suicide doors, it does make the car more attractive to 30 somethings, but that is still a young market segment to me...

StuttersC said:
He complains about huge rebates and no one buying one because he is buying a 350Z?

Your answer was vague, ala Nick...

He didn't complain about the rebates, there are none, thats the complaint. As it is one of mine aswell. Also he is saying with th enumber of 8's lining up on lot and the year ending...dealers are getting desperate to sell and will make deals.

Hell he got my attention. I was thinking about one but no way I am paying more then 25K for one. Its just not worth it.

Do they mention what they are using to add timing ect?
I would like to know the cost of adding this power back in.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that there seems like alot of people talking like the Rx-8 is the greatest thing in the world and that the 350Z and S2000 are junk compared to it. And yet the 350Z and S2000 are still selling better. And the reason why I want folks to buy more RX-8's is because maybe it will make make Nissan and Honda dealers sell the 350Z and S2000 under MSRP.

Back