How To: Change Fog Light Bulbs

derrick1623

'Content Monkey'
Contributor
:
'07 Mazda3, True red
HOW TO: change fog light bulbs

ok, i don't think this is on here, but the headlights are,so...here we go.
first, get under the front of your car, then look up towards the back of the fog light. you will see a single nut holding the fog light onto a bracket. take that and two washers off.
ok, now get out from under there(you grease monkey)...and pull the fog light out as far as you can, it dont come out far, be careful.
alright, you'll need either an offset screwdriver, or a ratchet and phillips bit. remove the two screws that hold the assembly together. pop out the glass part, and move the spring out of the way. unplug the wire ging from the bulb to the harness, and replace the bulb. ok, now put it back together, and got to the other side...CONGRATULATIONS, you've just changed your very own fog light bulbs.

Change fog light bulbs ???

I'm just coming back from a trip business and I had a small accident. Actually it's nothing important but a rock broke my left fog light. So ... do you know how much does it cost here in Quebec to change just that light... 367 $ CAD not installed. So a friend of mine said that there's some bosch light pretty similar that will fit on my car for 175$ CAD installed. The result is so great... those lights are too powerful. They look's like the Subaru one... Actually I'm planing to doo your rewired fog lights MOD this week-end.

actually, this how to is for the bulbs themselves, the rewiring is a different thread.

I've found a way for the high beams

But the problem's is that I needed to do an other relay for it. And because of that I loose the control on my Fog light switch, so the fogs are always on when you turn on the lights.By the way you'll be able to see the size of the bosch lights...

Attachments

• fog light.jpg
    fog light.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,122
Sorry to rehash this old thread but...

On my P5, as I am sure most newer mazdas are, you can take the whole fog light out.

When you are taking the nut off for the foglight to come out, if you look up next to the light on the side closest to the ouside of the car, you will see the wire for the fogs. You can detach this clip and then the light could be pulled out further and disconnected from the vehicle by undoing the connection. The clip that I am talkign about is a b**** to get back on but makes for working on the lights alot easier. Besides, the clip doesn't really need to be attached again as it is not going anywhere.

Don't forget Piaa uses a P5 as their demo vehical so a few Piaa lights drop right in.

changing fog bulbs

okay, now maybe i'm a moron or just really not good with cars....i bought myself some sweeeet piaa fog bulbs and i went under my car just like you said....i found the nut you were talking about, but the space by the light is so friggin cramped. do you have any pics of the tools you used while doing this or step by step process as to how you got up in there to access the light. any feedback is appreciated.
:confused: :wtf: (bluep5)

there will be a little blue knob where the clip is hooked to take the whole fog light out, just push it with a screw driver and the whole thing pops out

fog bulbs

i can't check now cuz my area has about a foot of snow, but when i was under the car, i don't remember seeing a blue knob. not trying to sound like a smart ass, but is that for MP3 or for the P5? i've got the P5, but maybe i'm looking up at it in the wrong spot.
(smash)

take the bolt that holds the fog light on and then once you have it pulled out as far as it will go there should be a little blue plastic(you wont see this underneath the car, you take the fog light out and there it is, it is on the upper right corner of the foglight hole!
and i have a P5 :)

more on the fog bulbs

coo beans my friend. gonna give it a try as soon as the weather round here gets better and i'll let you know how it went. thanks for feedback.
P5's are smooooooth.:cool:

Re: HOW TO: change fog light bulbs

derrick1623 said:
ok, i don't think this is on here, but the headlights are,so...here we go.
first, get under the front of your car, then look up towards the back of the fog light. you will see a single nut holding the fog light onto a bracket. take that and two washers off.
ok, now get out from under there(you grease monkey)...and pull the fog light out as far as you can, it dont come out far, be careful.
alright, you'll need either an offset screwdriver, or a ratchet and phillips bit. remove the two screws that hold the assembly together. pop out the glass part, and move the spring out of the way. unplug the wire ging from the bulb to the harness, and replace the bulb. ok, now put it back together, and got to the other side...CONGRATULATIONS, you've just changed your very own fog light bulbs.

I just pulled the front bumper off. 15 min. job! :D

One more thing, while trying to take off the bolt on my MSP, it was on so tight that we started striping the bolt. Is everyone else experiencing this?

t3ase, i'm having the same problem on my p5. i live in new york and the roads are salted in the winter, so bolts tend to get rusted in place. the bolt you are talking about is frozen in place on mine and i can't fit anything more than a standard wrench up there to loosen it--ratchet is too wide to clear the space. while i was attempting to loosen the bolt, the front bumper assembly was moving from the stress i was putting on it. i stopped because i was afraid i'd cause cosmetic damage to stuff like the paint from bending the bumper.

i'd be interested in seeing the tools used, too.

one other thing i'm curious about is how everyone is accessing the bulb--i'm just doing it flat on my back in the driveway. is everyone else using ramps to lift the front end?

i'm replacing the factory bulbs with PIAA icon crystal H3s to throw off an amber light.

My mazdaspeed bolts were torqued so tight I was afraid I was gonna crack the bumper. Make sure your tools are good and of the EXACT size, or you will probably strip the bolt. At which point you will have to use a vise grip.

If it is siezed from lack of use (ha, ha, ha), get some "liquid wrench". It is a small bottle of penetrating oil (keep mind out of gutter please) that is designed to loosen (down, boy) bolts / screws. Leave it for a little while and it should make your life easier.

I went underneath the car on my back, and kind of bent the bottom plastic protector out of the way (remove 2 screws) for that. That made it easier to access the fog area. Ramps are very dangerous, be careful.

I think main reason the dealership can do it in a sinch is because they use percussion tools which will unscrew virtually anything with I think less overall stress but more vibration (pay attention ladies) than a normal tool.

Disclaimer: I am partially drunk right now.

I think main reason the dealership can do it in a sinch is because they use percussion tools which will unscrew virtually anything with I think less overall stress but more vibration (pay attention ladies) than a normal tool.
Yeah, my dealership said they would not open the light because it would void my lighting warranty should the plastic melt. FEH.

Back