Mazda 3 Reliability...After all it's just a Ford

neomonkey

:
Mazda 3, Honda Civic Si or Acura El?
I have my reservations about Ford Products. I know the car was designed by a Japanese engineer. But the car has some FOrd Focus products in the car, but Mazda just will not say what products are shared. Sure its a great car to have, but what if the great M3 you buy breaks down 1 year after you purchase it? That is a true possibility. I am still very weary about the Mz3. I wish that Ford wouldn't own 34% of Mazda and taht Mazda still ran its own company while producing the Mz3. A chassis is a chassis, but it is the biggest piece of metal in your car, remember that. Anything to do with Ford, I'm running the other way. We'llhave to wait and see after the car has been released.

Comments?

any car you purchase will have the potential to be a piece of s***. it doesn't matter what you buy. some people have ford fiestas that are still running after 200k miles, other people have a bmw that didn't make it to 24k. ford has had a piece of mazda for a very long time, it didn't stop my from buying my protege5.

neomonkey said:
Anything to do with Ford, I'm running the other way. Comments?

i wouldn't run away from an aston martin. unless it was chasing me.

Last edited:
Oh gosh! Not another one of these threads. :rolleyes:

"A car is only as good as its' owner"

redrims said:
Oh gosh! Not another one of these threads. :rolleyes:

"A car is only as good as its' owner"

What do you mean another one of these threads?? I'm a young professional who will be dropping 24 + Grand on a car this year. I want to make sure the car I am getting is one that won't give me headaches 2, 3 years down the road. There is nothing wrong with posing the question of the Mz3 reliability.

And also, a car is not as good as its owner. Lets say you owned a Ford Focus and it breaks down on you. You can't measure the make of the car with its owner.

Some things are just engineered much better than other things.

Last edited:
if you're really that apprehensive about buying a "ford" product, then it's your choice. the only thing i'd be worrying about with the new 3 is that it's the first year. those usually have more problems and as the years go by, mazda will update accordingly. as for the engineering of things, i've got a 66 mustang that's in better shape than my my dad's 94 toyota p/u.

neomonkey said:
What do you mean another one of these threads?? I'm a young professional who will be dropping 24 + Grand on a car this year. I want to make sure the car I am getting is one that won't give me headaches 2, 3 years down the road. There is nothing wrong with posing the question of the Mz3 reliability.

And also, a car is not as good as its owner. Lets say you owned a Ford Focus and it breaks down on you. You can't measure the make of the car with its owner.

Some things are just engineered much better than other things.

There are so many threads with ppl saying "Ford own part of Mazda...the Mazda3 engine..."

search and ye shall find

Unless you are stuck with a complete lemon, I do believe a car is as good as its owner. The way you drive, the chemicals and solutions you put in your car, and how often you care about servicing a car for maintenance makes a difference.

Unless you are stuck with a complete lemon, I do believe a car is as good as its owner. The way you drive, the chemicals and solutions you put in your car, and how often you care about servicing a car for maintenance makes a difference.

as much as I agree with this I also disagree. there are some cars, models makes and marques, which are just total crap. if this were not the case then people would still be driving and buying Yugos and Deloreans.

i do not think the Mazda 3 will be one of those cars. all of the pertinent components, engine, trans and chassis/suspension will be Mazda by nature.

my advice - save yourself some money and buy a Protege5. with the deals going on right now you'd be foolish not to consider it.

Loaded p5 can probably be had for $17,000. Loaded 3 I could see going for four grand more than that.

Mz3 will be just the next generation of P5, quality will be just like P5 or even better, which likely will be the case.

Before the release of P5 that question must have asked, now you take a look at P5, no problem. The main point is the car isnt even out yet, how do you know it will be bad? If you care about your investment how about you wait until Mz3 all over the street and start asking ppl its durablity/quality.

I have had a lot of cars. And I work in the automtoive business as an Engineer.

Now, from my experience I would by a Japanese built product. Japanese products have better quality then anything out there right now. That could change, but right now they are king. Nobody can touch them, not the Big Three, or the Germans.

All the American vehicles I have owned and still own need to be repaired more often then Japanese vehicles from my experience. Since I bought my Japanese built Protege, I have never had to bring it to the dealer for any repair. It has been rock solid for three years. I could not say that for my Pontiac Grand Prix (7 times to the dealer with in one year) Sold it, Chevy Cavalier( 4 times to the dealer on a shift issue that they never fixed) SOLD it.

I also have a Toyota Highlander (what a beautiful truck), never to the dealer. Had it for almost two years.

I am very concerned about the Big Three and what will happen if they can't keep up with the competition. But this is reality, a car is a big purchase. I don't want to loose my job or does anyone else. But if your going to dish out money for a vehicle, sorry man your going to get the best you can get right.

Concidering FORD's past, stick with quality. I am talking about proven quality. And that isn't FORD, yes Ford says quality is job one. But that is just a saying, they can say what ever they want.

Do I wish it was the other way around, yeck ya.

Why do the japanese dominate the tv, stereo market just to name a few. QUALITY.

I am very concerned about the Big Three and what will happen if they can't keep up with the competition.

nothing will. people are sheep. the import market has never held more than 28% market share in the US at any given time. Fact of the matter is, people grew up, our parents, thier parents and even many people in our generation, with a "buy american" attitude. many people never buy imports because they are under the impression it is in un-american, that thier repair parts cost more than american cars, that they are harder to work on, etc. to people on this board that might seem silly, but this idea is very pervasive. because some people never drive an import or buy one, to them it must be acceptable to have to take a car in time after time during the year - they never experience anything otherwise.

Captain

It is already happening. The big three are closing plants, laying people off. They aren't hiring anymore. The jobs are going over seas.

I appreciate the mature responses to my original posting. BUt for all you little kids who get your parents to buy your P5 for you and your little modifications, I don't appreciate your pathetic posts. I came on this board to get some insight on the Mz3, not to read some little adolescents who make their p5s uglier with retard mods, if you have nothign intelligent to post, don't post.

When you grow up and start making a living, you will understand the value of the dollar. You want to make sure that what you are getting is worth every penny you paid for it.

You're always taking a chance buying a first year model car. Based on your skepticism, you're probably better off buying a car w/ a track record of proven reliability. Or, wait a year. Let others be the guinea pigs. This is just my .02. Good luck.

Maybe that was too harsh, but I agree w/him.

It was a valid question - why all the fuss?

I would be concerned about a $25K+ purchase too, wouldn't you?

Ok, now let's try to be civil to each other.

Preston, your take?

It is already happening. The big three are closing plants, laying people off. They aren't hiring anymore. The jobs are going over seas.

Its always been my opinion that this is more due to cost-cutting measures by executives. Its been the trend for American industry as a whole in the last two decades to move business overseas. The latest trend has been to outsource customer service positions to India and it looks like IT jobs are next. Not to say that import sales don't hurt the big three, I'm just not sure that's the biggest reason they'd move shop elsewhere.

BUt for all you little kids who get your parents to buy your P5 for you and your little modifications, I don't appreciate your pathetic posts. I came on this board to get some insight on the Mz3, not to read some little adolescents who make their p5s uglier with retard mods, if you have nothign intelligent to post, don't post.

When you grow up and start making a living, you will understand the value of the dollar. You want to make sure that what you are getting is worth every penny you paid for it.

I for one don't appreciate the hostile generalization here. In defense of myself here, my posts included factual information about the Mazda3's design and construction which should have allayed your fears about its quality as well the suggestion that you might save money buying a final year Protege5 and get more options and features out of that car.

I for one, have paid for every nickel and dime that has gone into modifying my car. I signed the papers on this car in my name and my name only and the payments come from me. I am a 22 year old college grad and a "professional" as you call it and you'd never catch me making the kind of cheap insinuating insult towards people that you posted above. You have a problem with a user in particular, use the private message function.

The only post I saw that posed any problem was the "buy a P5 a-hole" remark. Are you going to make this kind of sweeping and all encompassing insult towards people based off of one post?

Back