A audio newbie got a question...Please help !!

I am a audio newbie...Bear with me..Thanks !!

I have a deck ready to use now.....All I need are some decent speakers......Anyway...I am planning to get all four speakers....I am not a big BASS fan so I am not gonna get a sub......
And a amp for the speakers ?? is it nessesary ??
And if I just do a plain setup like a deak with four speakers....will it sound a BIG different from the stock stereo ??
The deck I have now is a Clarion ProAudio DRX5675.
And I want some speakers for maybe 80-100$ CAN a pair....any decent ones out there for that price....Thanks for the help !!

alright, first the clarion should sound pretty nice. any speakers worth having need to be amped, and we have six not four. if you get new mids and highs it wont be worth it unless you spend at least 100 for each set times three. also you will need a six channel amp and it will need to be decent and will cost like at least 350. also you will need new wires. since you are new you should have it professionaly installed and tuned, yes it matters. total your looking like around 700 after install give or take a little. anything less than that and it wont be worth it for you to replace what youve already got(which sounds very nice). just get all your wires rerun with good wire(sunami or monster).
what weve got sounds pretty nice but if you just replace the head unit you should get an amp because our head unit has a pre-amp for the mids and highs. good quality sound isnt cheap and is one of the great reasons to buy this car. just my two cents.

I suggest you get Alpine, Kenwood, or Infinity Speakers for mid and high. I agree with frady, you will need an Amplifier to pump these. Not to mention that you will need crossover or a pre amp.

The sound quality compared to the stock sound system will be HUGE!!!!

i just realized you have a p5, my bd. you should definatly get a huge difference in sound. i was thinking about an mp3. also, even though you dont like bass you should consider getting a sub. as long as you dont get really big speaker and dont put a whole lot of power to them they should sound nice.

Hey Frady....You scared me when you said I need 6 speakers...haha.....yeah..its just a P5.....
Well...I dont have that much money to spend.......Can't I just buy some decent speakers to go with my deck ??
Coz I am thinking of changing the deck today......if you guys say I need a amp and stuff.....than I probably will reconsider install the deck.......!!!

It can work without the Amp.
If your deck puts out enough power to really make the speakers sound good (No distortion).

You do not have to do this all at once. Install the speakers without the amp then work on it bit by bit.
Thats what I would do.

Just for your information...the MP3 only has five speakers including the sub....we have spots in the rear doors for speakers...but there aren't any there.

Good advice it sounds like. I'm quite the newbie too in terms of sound stuff but my "plan" was to do the following...tell me what you think:

I wanted to get a 6 channel amp and run the front and rear door speakers and the rear window speakers off that amp....I'd like to get another amp dedicated for a new boxed subwoofer(or 2?) in the trunk....and I'd like a set of tweeters in the front which would run off the deck. Is this an ok way to do things?

Sounds Good!

You'll need a crossover or a Pre Amp to prevent the bass from going into your front speakers.
(That's if the Radio can't handle doing this)

alright, now i feel like a complete jackass. why the hell do you put a spot for speakers in the rear doors and not have speakers. thats just really stupid. i never even thought to make sure there was actually speakers there. the thought that they would just put the mesh that goes over a speaker there for the hell of it never crossed my mind. those bastards. anyways, if you get cheaper speakers they should run nicely off the radio but nice (a.k.a. expensive) speakers definatly need an amp or they dont sound nice (personal experiance). im probably gonna catch hell for this but sony makes some nice very cheap mids. a buddy of mine bought some very cheap and ran them off his very cheap head unit nicely. they got extremely loud considering they didnt have any power and actually didnt distort until they got so loud it hurt. then again he had a pos work truck and the speakers were in the doors right next to you but hey, try em out, there not too expensive ( i forgot how much)

Lol...don't be so hard on yourself.....you are right it's really a hard thing to have known right? I guess that's just one good reason to come to this board...I found that out awhile back from someone and was just as surprised as you.

More Newbie Questions

I just picked up my P5 with the new Sport AT last night and the only real disappointment is that the sound quality is way inferior to that of the stock equipment on the 2000 Protege ES I traded in. I can't afford the whole sub-woofer, amp, pre-amp, complicated set-up thing at the moment. What can I do simple and relatively cheap (less than $300) to improve the sound quality now and still have whatever I do immediately be a good initial investment for when I have some bucks to do it up right later on. I'd prefer to not just toss what I put in the car now when I can get something really sweet put in.

For those looking at the less expensive alternative for speakers. Try out a set of Pioneer TS series. You can buy the whole set of four for a little over 200. I've used them before in convertibles and jeeps. They sound really good and will get extremely loud just powered off a decent head unit. Another bonus is that they come in the exacat sizes that we have in the doors and rear deck so they're just a bolt in.

Thanks and More Questions

Thanks for the tip... now I went looking for the speaker sizes on the Mazdausa.com website because I couldn't find the post here with that info. (If someone would like to repost it here, I'd appreciate it). The interesting this is that Mazda says models built after 2/28/01 now have 6 speakers standard. It sure as hell doesn't sound like it. Where would the other two speakers be other than the 4 in the doors?

alright,wtf. im really confucked up. i have an mp3 and we have two speakers in the rear deck, but apparantly none in the rear doors. now i havent physicly(spelling??) checked but bigblue says there arent any in the rear door space ( those cheap, evil, greedy, bastards ). thats it, tommorow im actually checking.

From what Crutchfield's site says, the fronts are 6x8", or at least they have some models that size that are "EZ-Fit".

I bagged on Tae Kwon Do class last night to hop over to CC and Tweeter to do some sound testing, and at both friggin stores, half the speakers were blown or vandalized. Great way to display a product!

20ESGUY, I have to check out the Pioneers you recommend. Will stop off at my local guy and give a listen.

Piecing things together over time is frustrating, but that's life.

20ESGUY... You're the man! Pioneer TS series was a great recommendation for a great budget speaker upgrade!!! MIRV II (my ride's name, the 2000 ES I just traded in was MIRV) has some sweet sound now. I'm not into having a four-wheel thump machine, but I like my tunes to sound good and the Pioneers and Polks are definitely getting the job done.
Also, a heads up to anyone doing their own stereo work on mid-year P5s with the 6 speaker set-up, make sure you remember to pop the tweeter back on when you're done working on the front doors, I was a right turn away from having a 5 speaker set up. Good thing it didn't bust when I slammed the door on it..

uhm yeah the mp3 only has 5 speakers, the front doors, the rear panel:confused: and the sub, total of 5. uhm i dont know when mazda first started putting the "mesh" and hole thingy on the rear doors but my 99 lx doesnt have speakers on there either. so there are only 4, front doors, and rear panel. might be some LATE info but yeah, better to let ya know i guess.

The mid-year, "6-speaker" stereo change is just the additon of tweeters - they re-worked the little triangles behind the door mirrors (where lots of people put tweeters anyway) , and made them into tweeters. Not bad, but nothing special.

With a decent deck, you can get plenty of power to a decent set of speakers in the doors. Just don't buy something that can take a billion watts - match the power handling of the speakers to the power output of the deck, and you'll be real happy.

Back