Thunking noise in rear end ?

When it rains, and the car is wet, there is a noise in the back. Sounds like it's also the shocks again. Kind of like a thumping noise as the shocks get compressed over bumps. At first I just thought it was something rolling around in the truck, or something rubbing. Maybe the subwoofer, spare tire etc. But I took that all out, and put the seats down one day, and sure enough, it IS the rear shocks or something suspension related. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if it is just the nature of these cars and all of the suspension tweaks underneath....but it can be anoying since the car is brand new. It seems worse when the car is wet. At first it only happened when it rained, or after washing it. Now it seems to stick around, but coicidently, it's also getting colder out these days, so i'm not sure if the cold is causing it.

This is NOT related to the same post another guy mentioned, that his shocks made a noise in the morning before the car warmed up. Under the heading Squeaky Shock.

Any idea's?

Thanks

P.S. Oh, I don't drive hard at all, nor close to other cars, but do you notice that the windsheild chips VERY easy. I'm getting these little speckles in the windshield from sand on the road ( I guess ), looks like little rain drops that won't go away.

Thank God, I waited for a response for so long I thought I was the only one. Any idea's to what it might be? Mine started out as something that only happened from time to time, now it's like all of the time.

Maybe grease something? I want to take it to the dealer, but we have a small one and,well, I don't want them to start "guessing" I have the only MP3 here, so they would be using mine as a guinea Pig <spelling?>

u guys r not alone! i also confirmed the whistling windshield today :( thats probably why we have a loud stereo!! :D

I'm trying to get the dealer to see what this, but they are a loss so far. I'm going to bring it in soon, maybe. Anyone have any clue what this is?

It may be the gas tank not bolted tight enpugh, or the racing beat exaust knocking around. I remember when I had my jeep, I had a similar noise, and after I took it to the dealer, he said the muffler was hitting something. But I dont know. Speaking of the dealer, what exactly voids the warrenty? Will an aftermarket intake and pipe void it since you are putting more than the reccomended air in to the engine? :(

I've noticed the suspension thunking in the rear also. Only when it is cold out. It is now accompanied by a squeeking/rubbing noise in the same area. A friend/technition at honda said that the honda sway bars have rubber bushings that make noise when it's cold out. I'm thinking this could be similar, but waiting until it gets worse before having it looked at.

Originally posted by Newf:
<STRONG>When it rains, and the car is wet, there is a noise in the back. Sounds like it's also the shocks again. Kind of like a thumping noise as the shocks get compressed over bumps. At first I just thought it was something rolling around in the truck, or something rubbing. Maybe the subwoofer, spare tire etc. But I took that all out, and put the seats down one day, and sure enough, it IS the rear shocks or something suspension related. Anyhow, I'm just wondering if it is just the nature of these cars and all of the suspension tweaks underneath....but it can be anoying since the car is brand new. It seems worse when the car is wet. At first it only happened when it rained, or after washing it. Now it seems to stick around, but coicidently, it's also getting colder out these days, so i'm not sure if the cold is causing it.

This is NOT related to the same post another guy mentioned, that his shocks made a noise in the morning before the car warmed up. Under the heading Squeaky Shock.

Any idea's?

Thanks

P.S. Oh, I don't drive hard at all, nor close to other cars, but do you notice that the windsheild chips VERY easy. I'm getting these little speckles in the windshield from sand on the road ( I guess ), looks like little rain drops that won't go away.</STRONG>

rear suspension thunk

THESE CARS MUST HAVE BEEN BUILT EXACTLY THE SAME BEACAUSE I HAVE A THUNKING REAR END, A NOISY WINDSHIELD, AND IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT.WHAT IS UP WITH QUALITY CONTROL ON THE MP3's. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW THAT I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THESE ISSUES.

Yeah, as I've mentioned before on this board, I have the problem too. I went from being pissed to thinking it was normal to thinking it sounds really CHEAP and being pissed! :). I think I'll mention it when I get my oil changed...

DooMer_MP3

not to sound repetitive, but I thought it was me because I put in the subwoofer box in the rear...geez,... i hate the thump especially when i hit a bump... anyone solved the problem yet?

Does anyone happen to know if they put urethane bushings in for the sway bar mounts? If they did, that would explain the squeaking noises. Urethane bushings tend to do that sometimes when the suspension bounces up and down. It's not cheap, it's just something you have to live with when you have urethane bushings.

Well, this morning it was like 3 degrees celsius, and my rear suspension made more noises the first 10 mins of driving then you could ever imagine. And now it's raining this evening, not so cold, and that thunking noise is just getting worse. I've asked www.racingbeat.com if there are any known problems with these shocks, but I'm getting the impression that I'm the first one to tell them. Maybe if they got enough compaints, they'll get Mazda to look into it better somehow? Maybe?

I wonder if there is a way to get Mazda to look at this forum. That way they can see that almost eveyone is having the same complaints. As to the squeaking in the rear end it has to be coming from the larger sway bars and bushings. In my experience their are always noises and fitment problems with aftermartet parts and the mp3 is probably not going to be an exception. However the whistling windshields are definitly a manufacturing defect.

Finally got the car into the dealer today. They say it was indeed the bushings on the rear sway bar. Getting the parts ordered now. If it fixes it, I'll let everyone know. It's kinda funny too, the noise wouln't happen when the car was on the lift. But, on the ground they could just shake the car left and right ( By pushing on it...duh ), and you could hear the thunk noise plane as day.

i thought i was crazy .. it sucks that it has happened to us .. but im glad i was not the only one .. 1st i bolted my amp down beter cause i thougt it was it .. then i took my subs and amp out .. checked my donut.. and jack ..

I've noticed the same noise everyday when I back out of my driveway. I get that same thunking noise and I always assumed it was the swaybar bushings ot just the swaybar mounts being flexed in awkward angles. I had a full suspension set up on the Civic that I traded in to get my MP3 so, I'm pretty used to hearing it. I was gonna make a post explaining what I thought was the thunking noise, but I didn't feel like putting my flame suit on for trying to explain it and possibly being wrong. I only hear it in the morning when I go over this weird bump down my driveway.

As for the alignment being of, I've yet to feel this pulling to the right that everyone talks about. Does the car actually pull, meaning you can feel the pull through the steering wheel or is it only when you let o of the steering wheel that the car wanders off to the right slightly?

not to continue to be repetitive but i do also have all of the above. the whistling windshield is REALLY annoyying.

I also have the whistling windshield(but only at about 105mph and higher). I also have the squeaking rearend. But I do know that the rearend is at temperature thing. I am positive of that. If it is cold in the morning it is going to squeak when going over speedbumps. I thought the Whistle was coming from the wipers. When I turned them on it stopped. So I have no idea what to think. :confused:

Back