Removing Head Unit....Tired of z919

kingvitamin

:
2001 MP3
I'm ready to switch out the z919 in my MP3. Kenwood has come out with some pretty nice Head Units this year, and really want a volume knob. I also saw an Alpine with a silver/blue color scheme that would look great in the car, and has a knob! Guess I'm just old fashioned, but I love volume knobs. Anyone know of any tricks on getting the z919 out, and if there is any special wiring harnesses for the MP3, or if I should just cut the one off the z919, and use it on the new head unit? Just wondering if anyone has done any such switch out before. Thanks in advance.

I have only switched the unit in my P5, but removing your Kenwood should be really easy (I replaced my stock deck with a Kenwood, and removal of my Kenwood is a snap - no reason to think yours is different).

Either go to a local stereo shop and get the Kenwood removal tools (these are supplied with every aftermarket Kenwood - if the shop won't just give you a pair, take a walk - they are cheap metal strips, they should have a ton of them, and shouldn't try to charge you for them - try to talk to an INSTALLER), or you can try a butter knife or similar long flat metal piece. Just try to get the thinnest knife you can - it needs to go into a tight space.

Pry the trim piece off of the radio - just the skinny radio surround, not the whole silvery trim of the center console. It should pop off easy. Now take your removal tools (whatever they are :)) and stick one in each side of the deck, between the deck itself and the metal mounting sleeve. Push the "tools" all the way in, and they will release the locking tab on either side. Pull the tools and the radio out all at the same time - easy as pie. I would suggest getting the proper Kenwood tools, as it will make this process a bit easier - they are really thin, and fit in with almost no force, and getting them should be free.

I believe all Kenwood units use the same wiring harness, so if you replace your deck with another Kenwood, you probably won't have to cut any wires - just leave the existing harness and plug it into the new deck. Also, all the mounting sleeves are the same, too - so buying another Kenwood is a really good idea for your installation - pop the old one out, plug in the new one and slide it in until you hear a "click" and you are done.

I know the Kenwoods you are looking at, too - they're really nice - motorized face, D-Mask + detatchable face, cool graphics, 3 sets of pre-outs, yadda, yadda. I'm considering one myself to replace my MP8017.

Good luck - you should have no problems popping the old deck out.

idunno about where yours was but i have a z828 and my remeoval tools are ine my faceplate storage box, but you prob. dont have one seeing as your units face isnt removable. dont know if that helps at all but you should look through your glove box. also if you get the radio intalled they should do it for you, if not when you buy the new head unit it should come with some.

that has to be the biggest b**** ever trying to get that thing out.....i have done it many times....what u have to do is have the face plate down and look behind the holes where u think the special tools should go....there will be 2 contacts that ned to be depressed....u need to get like a small ass screw driver and push in on those contacts and pull out.....very little and side by side...also watch out the face will close on you in a matter of like 10 seconds....that is the b**** part about it...and then if u want to remove you unit completley u have to try and fit your hand in the back of the decka dn you get little to no space...all these wires are pretty much tied up in the dash...there is a big crop of wires that are all surrounded by some type of soft insulated tape...and it gives you noo play what so ever to try and get more room..i know it sounds really complicated....well it is...have fun....

Back