Canada gets screwed again!

becks

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
Well it looks like Mazda has decided to screw Canadian customers again! The Protege was a huge success in Canada and I'm sure the Mazda 3 will be too but we still don't get all the options like all other Mazda customers. For example, Canada doesn't get HID's, tire pressure sensor, navigation and not even side airbags! I'm sure Mazda will offer most of these options in their 3.5 version, but what about the customers who are loyal to Mazda and buy the car when it first comes out?

I'm going to wait to buy the Mazda 3. It will be a first year car anyways. That really really really sucks. The car is equally proced to a Civic Si sedan or the Acura El. The M3 has more options than these 2 cars put together already. I'll wait to see what the response from Mazda will be for Canada. That is ridiculous. Everywhere else but Canada, we do not get HIDs, etc. Sucks. The wait will be so long and excruxiating.

So you want the 1.5l engine and drum brakes on the base Mazda3 trims in Japan and the market Mazda calls 'rest of the world'?

Yes those euro-trims with HID, NAV, info computer, optitron are cool. But do you know how much MSRP for those are? I do, in the neighborhood of $40,000cdn (depending on the country), and they only have the SVT-less 2.0l. How much $$$ are you willing to pay for a Mazda3? Yes, USA is getting HID and NAV, but the American market is much different to that of Canada (Canada is much more price sensitive).

Mazda Canada is smart enough to know they'll be WAY above the price point for this type of car if they added things like HID and NAV. The fully loaded Mazda3, is already at the VERY top of it's price point for Canada as it is. In fact, I was very surprised last week to find out that the GX sedan (with only 2 speakers and no CD player, both of which are standard on the Pro SE), couldn't make the MSRP in the $15k's (CDN).

Let's quickly add the numbers:

HID: $1,000
NAV: $3,000
Side air bags: $1,000

That's 5k already. Would you pay $28,000 for a P5 replacement? Who else would do it? 21k for an 03 P5, 28k for an 04 Mazda3. No one!

MarLo

wongpres said:
In fact, I was very surprised last week to find out that the GX sedan (with only 2 speakers and no CD player, both of which are standard on the Pro SE), couldn't make the MSRP in the $15k's (CDN).

Yeah, that kinda stinks... but the MSRP is still around 16,195, which is not bad. You think dealers may drop a little?

Ya I understand your points about Mazda not wanting to out price themselves and your comparison to the U.S market but also remember the US gets a lot more and better incentives from Mazda and all other car makers so in the end their prices aren't that much more then Canada but with the option of getting all the accessories.

Also, I know the price of some of those options are expensive and would add to the price of the car but that's why they're called "options" so the owner can chose what they want. Also when you talk about the price of side airbags, I don't think those should be a $1000 option at all, they should come standard on the car (at least the top models).

Yes, and the US also gets a bad dealer network, shody warranty repairs, and one year less warranty as compared to Canada.

The HID lights are probably mandated by the feds, as with a few other cars companies. It all has to do with the damage limit in a frontal impact. Audi and a number of other companies have offered models in the US with HIDs that are not available in Canada, for the very reason that in a frontal impact, the headlights get broken, and bingo, you're over the maximum damage limit set forth by Transport Canada, all in an effort to keep insurance rates low. Another reason can simply be Canada's use of DRLs, and Mazda's choice of using the low-beam bulb for the DRLs. HID lights cannot be used for DRLs, so it's either a fog-light or turn-signal light for use as the DRL, something that they may have decided against.

Either way, it probably has nothing to do with Mazda Canada, just Canada.

Further to that above, the current 1999-2003 Protege also had side-impact air bags in Japan...but again, as others have said, it would have driven the price up so high that sales would have hugely suffered.

Do you really need a navigation system? Honestly, buy a map already!

Actually if they included side airbags it wouldn't put the cost up that much, even car company's like Hyunai and Kia are offering them now so it's about time Mazda woke up. Side airbags should no longer be an option but standard on all cars.

Yes those euro-trims with HID, NAV, info computer, optitron are cool. But do you know how much MSRP for those are? I do, in the neighborhood of $40,000cdn (depending on the country), and they only have the SVT-less 2.0l. How much $$$ are you willing to pay for a Mazda3? Yes, USA is getting HID and NAV, but the American market is much different to that of Canada (Canada is much more price sensitive).

You can't say that because a fully loaded 3 costs 20,000 pounds in the UK that it would cost $40,000 CDN. That doesn't make economic sense. A Mazda 323 2.0 5door Sport is about 14,000 Pounds which is about $30,000CDN. And we know that our Protege5's are about $20,000 CDN. You are right about Canada being more price senstive though, Nav systems just don't sell up here.

sjdmp5 said:
You can't say that because a fully loaded 3 costs 20,000 pounds in the UK that it would cost $40,000 CDN. That doesn't make economic sense. A Mazda 323 2.0 5door Sport is about 14,000 Pounds which is about $30,000CDN. And we know that our Protege5's are about $20,000 CDN. You are right about Canada being more price senstive though, Nav systems just don't sell up here.

MSRP for the top sedan with NAV in Finland is 27,950euro = 42,499.23cad, and only has the 2.0l and manual tranny.

Ok, so I purposely chose Finland because it's known to be just about the most expensive, but even in reasonably priced places like Austria, MSRP is 25,590euro = 38,910.74cad, and the sedan would be 500euro more (in Europe the sedan is more than the hatch). I stand by my prices of roughly $40,000cdn for NAV models in Europe.

1. Tire Pressure sensor is a bad idea. It will be a b**** to change rims/tires.

2. You can always go aftermarket for HID, even if they are going to be illegal.

3. Please don't call Mazda 3 - M3. There is an actual M3 out there...

ditto here.

"I own an M3" <--- obvious implication, wrong application.

"I own a Mazda 3" <---- right application.

"I 0wN3d an M3 with my Mazda 3" <---- lie... most of the time :D

Anyways, back on topic, do the P5s come with HIDs? as an option?

Back