Vortech Supercharger

blueSC

I saw the newest post bout the mp3 pics and the wings west mp3 have a vortech supercharger... Anyone know anything more about this?

i was wondering the same thing.... if theres a supercharger coming out soon.. im gonna have the money by the beginning of august

I would pass for a turbo or roots type blower at the least. I have a Vortech on my Mustang and it does a decent job but I wouldn't want it on another car. I bought it because it was VERY cheap ($1400 complete) but that isn't likely to be the case for our Protege's. I've seen the Vortech kits for Civics cost about $3500+. Real boost isn't even seen until high in the RPM band. There are some good things though. Power is very linear and the units themselves are fairly reliable. They offer good warranty too. It worked good on the Mustang because it needed something to help it's top end. It already had good bottom end torque. Basically skip it and go with a Turbo.

For your info

After 6 months I finally installed the boost gauge. These are the sort of boost levels you can expect with a centrifugal supercharger. The Mustang has a 5200rpm electronic rev limiter.

3500rpms - 1 psi boost
4000rpms - 3 psi boost
4500rpms - 6 psi boost
5000rpms - 8 psi boost
5200rpms - 9 psi boost

If I were to have installed a turbo, I should have a full boost level of 9 psi at 3000rpms all the way to redline. Imagine the same setup on the P5. You probably wouldn't see any boost until about 4500rpms and not see peak boost until redline. And you just lost low end torque because of the power needed to drive the supercharger. It worked great on the Mustang. It had plenty of torque but needed a boost on top end. Just the opposite of our P5. We need a torque boost throughout the entire power band. I'll be using a Garret GT-25 variable nozzle turbo on my P5 when the project gets rolling. That thing should spool VERY quick.

Is this ever going to come out? Does anyone know Jackson Racing well enough to begg them to make one for us....:)

I think a SC would be good for our cars if the complete kit was below $2K.

Why?
1-it's WAY more affordable than a turbo
2-you can install it yourself
3-You'll still get good gains

Personally, I'm still going with a turbo tho. Unless they come out with a GREAT SC kit.

Back