Going to court tonight...

JcsMP3

Well i got my first speeding ticket ever last month... and now I decided to go to court to fight it. I dunno what's going to happen but I am hopping the guy doesn't even show up, that way it gets thrown out.

I was following this stupid lady on a cell phone and she was fluctuating her speed so much 10 mph to be exact from 35 to 25... and swerving alot so I decided to move over and pass her at my first chance.... and I did... but guess what... mister police man had his radar sitting right on me.. exactly when I decide to move over and give it a little bit of gas to move away from this hazard and I get nailed... like seriously... he wouldn't even listen to what I had to say....

I guess I need a mini-van and I might get off from getting any ticket... like my mom so often does...

jC

go to court, dress nice, and be very respectfull. I've been very luck in a number of tickets (knock on wood)
If he doesn't show, great, it gets tossed...
If he does, and he deciedes your a good kid/nice guy (whatever)
He might decide to give you a standard ticket for around 100 bucks and NO POINTS...that is the key in my world...I'll pay 100 bones to not accumulate any points...saves thousands in the long run...
not sure if it works the same in canada, but Good luck@!@!!:)
oh yeah, I've had this happen probably 3-4 times, no points, just around 300 bucks in tickets over 6 yrs or so. My insurance rate is still the same as if I'd never gotten any...I know I'm going to get a ticket on the way home from work because i wrote this... (knock on wood again!!!)

good luck man, that is a BS way to get a ticket. It seems like for your safety you can't do anything. Maybe propose that that driver on the phone should get a ticket for talking on cell while driving and creating a hazardous environment on the road. Let us know how it goes.

Well i got the ticket reduced from $100 to $40 and no points lost. All they wanted a conviction, they don't care what they convict you with as long as you say you are guilty. I sat with the prosecutor for 1 minute before the trial, then sat in front of the judge for 10 seconds... It was that easy I didn't even have to open my mouth... LOL just say yes and that was it.

Oh well $40 it will be but no points... I like that deal...

Jc

Did the cop show up? If not, you got ripped, because they had no proof you did it. I've been in that situation before a few times. If the cop doesn't show, they can't prove you did it, and you are innocent. Case closed.
If the prosecutor noticed the cop wasn't there but you were, you are right, he just wanted the win. I always denied it when the cop wasn't there. They can't prove anything, so they have to dismiss it. Really pisses off the prosecutor, but it's not like I'm gonna see him all the time, so I don't care.
Just a note for future reference.

I think I heard in some cities, maybe Houston, not too sure though, that those cops are now required to show up to court. Too many times they don't and people get off free. Is that right now? Anyways man, 40 bucks ain't bad. I got a parking ticket for that amount over the weekend, pissed me off cause i wasn't parked illegally.

The more important part than the reduced fine is that you didn't get any demerits which is awesome. Next time you see someone driving erratic because of a cell phone...or whatever reason, jot down their license and report them. At the very least that license will go on record somewhere and maybe they'll get called with a warning or something. :)

uhm i think you SHOULD pay the ticket in full in MOST cases, seems in your case you shouldnt. that BS about "oh the cop aint here, im not guilty" deal is a very LAME excuse to use after you endanger everyones life just because you decided to drive faster and break the law. im sure if you pay a ticket in FULL you wont break the law no mo'. there are places specially designed so you can drive as fast as you want, use them.

manuel said:
uhm i think you SHOULD pay the ticket in full in MOST cases, seems in your case you shouldnt. that BS about "oh the cop aint here, im not guilty" deal is a very LAME excuse to use after you endanger everyones life just because you decided to drive faster and break the law. im sure if you pay a ticket in FULL you wont break the law no mo'. there are places specially designed so you can drive as fast as you want, use them.

Ok well I didn't go to fight the ticket... i went to get it reduced. They simply want a conviction. that's all... I know I am guilty and I would rather pay $40 then $100 and not lose any demerit points either. No matter how much it would cost me... no matter how many points I lose.. I am still eventually going to speed again... it's a matter of time.... I am not endangerign anyone's lives by trying to avoid a cell phone talking loony in the front of me.. I was trying to prevent an accident with her...

I ask you this... what is safer... a guy going 10 mph faster then the limit or someone that is completely distracted by a phone conversation with one hand on the wheel......

Jc

******* legal extorion
all they want is loot.
how many times have you heard of cop getting a ticket? off dudy of course, never.
if i mowed down a family of 4 in the bronx, drunk,
do you think i would be out on 250000 dollars bail.
f no i would still be in jail waiting for a hearing.
****, this kinda s*** pisses me off.

If tickets for speeding were a given, then it would be what it is claimed. Currently, it is random taxation. Not everyone who speeds gets a ticket. It is the random choice of the officer on patrol. Did he get a hummer last night? Nope? Then everyone gets a ticket today. Did his wife bring her girlfriend home with her last nice and they all got freaky? Yep? Well, everyone gets a warning today.
It's taxation. It's random. Until you look at it in a proper view, you can't judge those who use the laws that are unevenly placed upon them to help their situation. I'm all for getting out of or reducing tickets if you can. Most of the time it's BS.
JMHO

Back