Turbo Timer Baby!!!!

chdesign

I jsut ordered my turbo timer and it will be here friday for installation friday night and sat morn. I ended up going with the Blitz FATT DC timer due to its size and auto capabilities. Check it out at www.blitz-na.com awesome timer even though they all do the same thing.

I've got another question for you chdesign. I'm probably getting the same FMU that you have. Is it making your car run too rich? A 10:1 ratio seems like a lot of extra fuel. Do still suggest this ratio or should I go lower? The MazdaSpeed Pro doesn't use an upgraded FMU doest it?

Basically, it keeps your car running after you turn off the ignition so that the turbo has time to cool by continuing to run oil through the turbo. Your engine needs to run anywhere from 1min to 10 min, depending on how hard you were running your engine. If you sit in there and let it run, you don't need a turbo timer. But who has time to sit in there and let it run? Not me. By the way, I found a cool heads up display boost gauge with built in turbo timer, and the timer reads the boost level and time at those levels and decides how long to keep the car running after it stops. Too bad it was like $200. Anyone want to buy it for me? Here is the link for it, it's pretty cool, I just wouldn't want to put the smoked glass piece on my windshield.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/machv/headupdisboo.html

Yeah teh 10:1 does make it run rich under boost but this ratio is not uncommon to use in a NA engine turbo setup. Dumping extra fuel will help cool the chamber down some and keep you on the safe side. You could probably use a 8:1 but I would start with a 10:1 and just use a recal kit to move it if it is too much. All the honda kits that are out there that use an FMU use a 12:1 ratio.

The reason I was asking is that i know the MP3's run rich already. Especially at high RPM's. Linux racer has a air/fuel guage and he says it shows rich most of the time. So I guess I'll go with 8:1 and see how that does. Thanks for the input.

Pardon my ignorance but I have a question relating to the turbo timer. I knew what the purpose of one was but here is the question....cars that come stock with turbos don't seem to have one. Is this correct? I had a friend with a WRX and a Stealth TT and no matter how long/hard they drove their cars the engine shut off when they turned off the car. What's the deal?

To my knowledge no car came stock with a turbo timer. They are a very helpful thing and do prolong the life of the turbo and engine.

Back