full coil overs

Db1707 said:
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get full coil overs w/adjustable dampers for the 2003 miata?

Thanks

What were you planning to do with the car? AutoX or Road Race if so what class?

Last edited:
Re: Re: full coil overs

HondaToMazda said:

How does this answer his question? Maybe it's none of your damned business what he plans to do w/ the car. If you know where he can get the s*** he asked for, provide the info. Or don't.

Re: Re: Re: full coil overs

Darin said:
How does this answer his question? Maybe it's none of your damned business what he plans to do w/ the car. If you know where he can get the s*** he asked for, provide the info. Or don't.

How does this response help anything?

Calm down, it's a simple question. And it is a factor has people have been racing Miatas for awhile and the hot set-up might be more helpful than a slew of links to a thousand parts.

Re: Re: Re: full coil overs

Darin said:

People with Miata's Typically Auto-X and Road Race just to let you know. So I asked him the question since he is looking for a coil-over setup and we offer a Mono Tube Shock Design for his car that has a full threaded body for a Coil-Over Setup. So please be considerate.

Re: Re: Re: Re: full coil overs

HondaToMazda said:
People with Miata's Typically Auto-X and Road Race just to let you know. So I asked him the question since he is looking for a coil-over setup and we offer a Mono Tube Shock Design for his car that has a full threaded body for a Coil-Over Setup. So please be considerate.

So what? Are you trying to tell me something about Miatas? I've done BOTH in my car - unless this guy does so professionally, a simple set up with KYB AGX shocks with Ground Control coilovers will work PERFECTLY for whatever he wants to do. Unless he's a pro racer, buying suspension for "Track racing" or "Autox" is stupid -

The single biggest thing to improve the handling of a Miata is aftermarket sway bars anyway.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: full coil overs

Darin said:
So what? Are you trying to tell me something about Miatas? I've done BOTH in my car - unless this guy does so professionally, a simple set up with KYB AGX shocks with Ground Control coilovers will work PERFECTLY for whatever he wants to do. Unless he's a pro racer, buying suspension for "Track racing" or "Autox" is stupid -

The single biggest thing to improve the handling of a Miata is aftermarket sway bars anyway.

Oh i see, so your a pro race car driver now? So let me get this straight unless your a pro racer you only need to buy better suspension.? Our Proteges in the Speedvision WOrld Challenge class have beat All the Proteges. We got First Place last race in Laguna Seca and they run exact same motor. We are the only team out there with Koni's Struts. So it shows you how much Suspension Helps. As far as Being a "Pro Race" What about the people that run stock class? You cant use aftermarket springs and have to kkeep the spring perches at the same height as stock? You are going to use stock shocks or use Street Shocks? Theres always better ways to improve your time. Do you even know anything about shocks? People buy shocks for example MONO TUBE Shocks from koni 3012, which are double adjustable. Basically these shocks will blow twin tube shocks (Typically Street Shocks) out of the water even using the same spring rate. 2812 which is a mono tube design that uses cartridges for low speed control (small bumps in the road, braking accleration) and high speed. You don't have to be a pro racer to have good shocks on the car. It's not stupid, why would you say that? because you can't afford it? It's based on your budget. Another example, we just sold a set of Koni 2812 Shocks to a gentlemen with a s2000. He had originall a Supercharger and Koni Street Shocks. At the track he ran 1min and 26 sec. Putting the 2812 and taking away his Supercharger (Going back to Honda Challenge series) he ran a 1min and 25 sec. Thats after losing power and making up i would estimate 40 - 60 hp?

This is getting rediculous...

Darin said:

Dude, why are you flaming everytime HondaToMazda posts something?

If its personal, take it out in PM's or something...

Re: Re: full coil overs

HondaToMazda said:

Hi, thanks for the reply,

Yes I plan start auto x soon, I am relatively inexperienced with miatas but have been autocrossing with my honda/msp for awhile now. I'm not new with cars all together, and I'll probably run stock suspension with better tires for awhile, then upgrade maybe a year down the road.

If someone knows an effective spring/shock combo for the street please let me know, I am currently considering all options. But in all my previous experience, I have found that full coil overs usually have spring rates with a well matched damper.

And I would just like to add that I have found the stock miata's suspension to be great, but would prefer a slightly stiffer rear (more tail happy) and I would also like to lower the ride height about an inch, and have some adjustable dampers.

BTW i have an 03 with sports package.

Thanks for your help

Darin said:

This is what I'm looking for. Which rear bar do you recommend? Do you currently have the front/rear setup on your Miata? If so, how much difference did you notice? Was rotation much sharper on the turn in?

Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: full coil overs

Db1707 said:
This is what I'm looking for. Which rear bar do you recommend? Do you currently have the front/rear setup on your Miata? If so, how much difference did you notice? Was rotation much sharper on the turn in?

Thanks

My car has stock sways - but I've ridden in and driven others. The bars from Flying Miata are amazing, but I've seen little difference between them and others, (Jackson Racing, etc). I can tell you that I've done open lap days with a car which had the SAME turbo system, same boost levels, same tires, same springs, but HE had Sway bars - his car turned SO much flatter. The back of my car feels like it's coming up, over your shoulder sometimes - this guy's car stayed very flat, and it inspired much more confidence.

Hmmm, let me continue along the same vein...

I auto-x my '91 in E-stock... what changes (other than the Jackson Racing Cat-back exhaust and intake) do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Wow, lots of excitement. The first question you always ask when someone starts talking about suspension is to identify the use. Recommendations for a full-out track car will be different from a daily-driven car that does a few autocrosses a year. Suspension design is a series of compromises and you can make a car truly unpleasant if you do it wrong.

There is no shortage of coilover setups on the market for the Miata. However, unless you're going to take advantage of the ability to cornerweight, specify specific spring rates or want a ride height not available otherwise, there's no advantage to them. A well matched spring/shock combination will work just as well for most street and light track applications.

More important than the hardware is the setup. Get a good alignment and don't settle for the sloppy factory specs. Go with a balanced combination with reasonable spring rates, shock settings and swaybar sizes. Pay some attention to the tires you're using.

I was at the track last week running an All-Mazda track day. My car has a basic suspension package with adjustable shocks but no perch adjustment (full specs) but it works really well. A fellow vendor and racer took it out on the track and declared the damping to be spot on, better than his autocross-biased setup that had lots of high-end parts on it. Mine has nothing exotic on it but years of tweaking.

Novot, is your goal to make a kick-ass autocross car or a fun car that you can autocross? They're different. Sways (as Darin has said) are the perfect place to start. Cheap, easy to install and without a major ride penalty. They'll also bump you out of stock, but I'm surprised you can use the JR intake there anyhow. If you do lower the '91, it's definitely worth looking at doing something about shock travel in the rear. The 1999+ cars are better in this regard.

Keith

Last edited:
Keith@FP said:
More important than the hardware is the setup. Get a good alignment and don't settle for the sloppy factory specs.

Keith

That seems to be what most people at Miata.net think, too. A good alignment will make a big difference. :)

Darin said:

KYB AGX shocks won't cut it for the track. They "will do", but they definitely won't work perfectly for the track.

The biggest thing to improve the handling of a Miata is good tires and an alignment, in my opinion.

My Brother has a set of new HKS Hiper dampers i think for sale @ SPD racing. phone # is (760)-780-9842. Good luck. I have the eibachs and factory sports package bilsteins and mine is pretty damm solid. Love to have full coilovers though.

Keith, in reply to your question I have a daily driver miata that I also auto-x... I am pretty used to a stiff suspension, though... it won't be used for many long trips, etc...

I'll eventually put a roll bar in, too, and use it on track days

Back