Blow Off Valves

big_ben

Contributor
I guess this question is directed at chdesign. I saw that you have the TurboXS type s BOV. I just ordered that one for $109, I was wondering how loud it is. Thanks. Oh yeah, what boost controller do you use?

Actually it is very loud. It doesn't chrip liek the Greddy valves it chatters very loudly. Under 5 PSI its louder than my friends Greddy vavle under 15 psi. Once the boost goes up to 8 then it will be really loud. As for the boost controller I'm using I opted for a manual controller that goes under the hood so i don't mess with it while I'm driving. I know that the way I am I would turn it up too far one time and that woudl be it if I have a controller in the car. The controller I use is at www.dawesdevices.com It is an excelent boost controller. It looks cheap but it is anything but. Excellent responce and rock steady settings. I have uses a Greddy Profec B before and the responce is better with this manual one than the Greddy controller. Also for 30 bucks you can't beat it.

Thanks for the info. I want one that's loud. I've got another question for you. How did you hook up to your exhaust system. Did you have a totally custom exhaust system made like spoolin's? I'm thinking about just getting a custom downpipe made that will tie into the exhaust after the first cat so that it will remove the first cat all together. Is this a good idea since it is only temporary for a few months? Any suggestions?

The turboxs is loud you won't ahve to worry about that. My wife was in a car in front of me and said she could hear it loud and clear and she was about 3 car lengths ahead and I was only revving to 3 grand. As for the downpipe yes you will have to make a custom one. Eliminating the 1st cat with give you a check engine saying catalyst not effective system too lean probably as that is what mine is throwing up. I know its not too lean as I watch the O2s constantly. Make what you want the 1st time though it will save you worries and money in the long run.

Hell, why not stick with the rare scheme of the MP3 and get a rare BOV. SARD baby, may not be the hardest to get, but it definately not seem that often.

Attachments

• p0003133.jpg
    p0003133.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 211
I've seen that BOV before on a friends RX-7 here. THe TurboXS one isn't used that often though either. I only know of one other guy here running one.

Why would you to use a BOV for the cool sound while the whole time you are dumping metered air into the atmosphere and probaby screwing up your A/F ratio? You don't really NEED a BOV for the kind of boost most of you guys will be running. You'll probably get better response without it. Don't get me wrong, I want to boost my P5 as well but from a tuning standpoint I can't see any positive reason to do this. Venting to atmosphere after the MAF is going to force you to run very rich on decel. For these lower pressures you would be better not to use a BOV and let the boost stack work in your favor to give better response when shifting gears. I've had several Chrysler turbo cars and ran them with the factory BOV disconnected. I had no durability issues and got a quicker boost rise when shifting gears.

Last edited:
To each their own!

You are probably right, but I don't plan on never upping the boost. But until I get an intercooler, I'm not going to. So why not buy it now and install it? Man,....relax,....have a beer.

That's true but I agree with big_ben...sometimes it's about planning for the future and getting things now that you may not necessarily need, but will need at some point.

someone said that when you the BOV opens, you'd be running really rich, wouldn't that create flame that the tailpipe if I had a straight-through exhaust?

withoutme said:
someone said that when you the BOV opens, you'd be running really rich, wouldn't that create flame that the tailpipe if I had a straight-through exhaust?

As far as the TurboXS being rare, it I see it a lot out here. Especially on the WRX guys. The SARD, I've only seen once on a car at a HIN Atlantic City 01'. So I guess it depends on where you are. Here in the Bay Area, it's kinda rare.

I doubt that any performance loss/gain would be impossible to notice unless you're tuning on a dyno and running higher boost levels like 10-13 PSI. That is my thought on it. Further more, if you tune your system with the BOV, then you're accounting for that loss of air between shifts. So if you're gonna run a BOV, just tune your car with the BOV on. Anfd if you're really concerned about something as small as a BOV then maybe you should reconsider turboing your car and let the guys who are serious do it.

my buddy tells me i have flames coming out the tail pipe on my 79 rx 7. that's is a normal thing when you have a rotary and a free flowing exhaust.
i've never seen it on iston engines. except for the old spark plug in the tail pipe.

Yeah but since everyone saw Fast and the Furious, if you DON'T have flames coming outta your ass-end then there must be something wrong! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking maybe I should buy a BOV now...one of things I'll need but isn't excessively pricey. The SARD one you posted Apexi...is it's name R2D2??? I would have thought that name was copyright or something unless I'm just on glue.

Knowing how I am. If was to go turbo, I'd probably end up with an APEXi unit. The sound is nice too. If I didn't get APEXi, I'd probably have the HKS or SARD.

My old car had an apexi BOV....sounded pretty cool. As for BOV, I really dont think that it hinders performance greatly. If guys run them with 9 sec cars than I can run it on my MP3. I am a really big fan of the WRC, and you can here those guys comming around a corner, you here the car chirping or hickupping. The reason for this is that they run no BOV and have an antilag boost computer that gives them instaneous boost. So this chirping sound you here is called compressor surge. Thats NOT a good thing!! Sounds cool as s***(thats why I got the greedy BOV..kinda sounds like compressor surge) but is bad for the turbo. Another reason why I am using my BOV is that they rarley have problems. Here is a list of crappy BOV's that guys here had problems with...SARD, APEXI, and BLITZ. Lots of guys here in miami have SARD BOV, but the APEXI are fairly rare.
So running a BOV is not a bad thing unless you like replacing turbos:D
The new trend in Japan is to run cars without BOV's because the compressor surge is saught after. But hell Japanese culture is really based on FADS(and cool as s***)...and they have boat loads of money over there, so it really does not matter:)

I'm going to sell my TurboXS valve. It does its job well and its loud but I'm goign to go with teh JDM model HKS Sequential SQV valve. I can get it for a good price and they are loud as all get out and look awesome. Plus i have NEVER seend a SQV valve at any show many of the Super SQVs but not the original that was louder than it.

My friend has an RX7 and I can hear his BOV from a mile away...sounds like an angry beast...lol...can you guys record the sound and post it?

Back