Holy Miata!!!!

damn that's fuckign nuts. . ....but doesn't that kill the miata's handling. . since the weight dist. is all fubared now?

they've bneen putting 5.0 mustang engines in Miatas for a while... this isn't that ground breaking

RyanJayG said:
they've bneen putting 5.0 mustang engines in Miatas for a while... this isn't that ground breaking

But the LS1 engine is much longer than the Mustang 4.6/5.0 engines so it's pretty impresive.

I don;t deny that its longer, but common, they've been moving firewalls, forever, maybe they didn't have to in this case, but it's not that uncommon

EXA4DRIVER said:
But the LS1 engine is much longer than the Mustang 4.6/5.0 engines so it's pretty impresive.
I would guess that the 4.6 is actually a lot harder than the 5.0. It's bigger

That's really not that new. People have been known to swap 427s into Miatas.

And no, it doesn't kill the weight balance, because as you swap in the new engine you also swap in a beefier rear end (the stock rear end + tranny are only good up to ~125-130 mph anyway) which naturally weighs more.
IIRC, it only upsets the balance one percent to 51% front / 49% rear.

It DOES add to the overall weight of the car though. Also, the vibration of that huge engine literally shakes the car apart over time.

I still wouldn't mind driving a V8 Miata.

why would you ruin your miata like that? v8 miatas are nothing new, but it does rape the handling

A Miata 5.0 still has a lot more handling potential than a Mustang/Camaro/Firebird.

Just because it's not a bloated monster like them.

Kooldino said:
That's cool, but I'd prefer boost. Same power, less weight.

The FMIV kit :D

300-350 rwhp in a Miata.

That should be more than enough for anybody.

So what is the purpose of that engine in a Miata, the extra weight has got to destroy the handeling. I am sure that it would make a kick a$$ 1/4 mile car but other then that???

Personally I would have put it in a early 80's 280 zx, you have a much larger engine bay and a very stylish body. IMO.

Back