Mazda 3 Preview

"Mazda engineers grin when they say this chassis can take a lot more horsepower.

Sounds good, but what about the transmission?

-Sp

"We would have liked greater available front suspension travel, as we bottomed out a few times in both cars in situations where we were not expecting anything of the sort." - What is this all about? Did any of you ever bottomed out in your Protege?

The good and bad points...

I found these...:

"We would have liked greater available front suspension travel, as we bottomed out a few times in both cars in situations where we were not expecting anything of the sort."

Just bottoming out means there's not enough suspension travel up front. Think about lowering...? Then probably some bigger wheels and tires...? All that will probably cause even more bottoming!!!.

"CURB WEIGHT: 3050 pounds (mfr.)"

If that's for the basic model, that means my P5 is 300lbs lighter than the new 3...!

"Hideki Suzuki, Mazdas chief designer in charge of the 3, admits, We used the Civic and Corolla as examples of important global cars, but we used the Alfa Romeo 147 and Peugeot 307 as examples of beautiful execution within the C segment."

That's a weird mix of design examples if you ask me... Maybe that's why when I look at the new 3, I don't feel the vibe I felt with the P5...

"Mazda plans call for a three-door, wagon and convertible 3, and MazdaSpeed, MPS and all-wheel-drive versions available by the end of calendar year 2005."

It's good to know we will get the AWD as well as the MSP and cabriolet versions... Hopefully the AWD will look more agressive!.

"The North American sales goal is 70,000 Mazda 3s annually. One-third of these will be five-doors, the other two-thirds will get a trunk; 30 percent will be fitted with the standard five-speed manual, 70 percent the optional four-speed automaticboth from the Mazda 6 bin."

Are the Mazda6 trannies better than the current Proteg ones...? Hopefully!.

Later,
Andrs.
:p

30% manual??? :wtf:

I think I'll wait for the AWD speed version if it ever comes here.

"CURB WEIGHT: 3050 pounds (mfr.)"

That is ridiculous!

That's the curb weight for a 5sp., 4 cyl Mazda 6.

I guess Mazda forgot how to build lightweight cars with 4 seats...
:(

Monstermile said:
What the hell is an MPS model??

"Mazda Performance Series"

that was the designation for the MP3. maybe another stock-engine, hopped-up suspension model?

edit: not sure the MSP is in the "MPS" series.

damn, the protege is FAT. not phat, FAT. what the hell did they add that was so friggin heavy? kinda negates the whole more powerful engine, doesn't it?

3000 lbs... that's Mazda 6 territory!!! (3062 lbs for Mazda 6) o_O...
They must've made a miscalculation of some sort... that CAN'T be right...

Ford Focus 2004 comes in at 2670 lbs (rounding up).

They're coming out with an AWD version?! wow...

dugrant153 said:
3000 lbs... that's Mazda 6 territory!!! (3062 lbs for Mazda 6) o_O...
They must've made a miscalculation of some sort... that CAN'T be right...

Ford Focus 2004 comes in at 2670 lbs (rounding up).

They're coming out with an AWD version?! wow...

Exactly my thoughts. I hope those numbers are a misprint.

I mean, my WRX was 3000 pounds and the thing had a full size spare, a 16 gallon fuel tank, AWD and a turbo with long piping hanging off the side of it.

tonkabui said:
damn, the protege is FAT. not phat, FAT. what the hell did they add that was so friggin heavy? kinda negates the whole more powerful engine, doesn't it?

Could have been the components that also make the new car 40% stiffer.

What do you guys think of that trade off? Body rigidity/weight gain

-Sp

I'm QUITE sure it's gotta be a misprint. ( the weight)

The tradeoff of stiffness and weight? I would prefer something stiff AND light... but probably something more light than stiff.
I really doubt that they can stiffen up the chassis that much. Also, reviews have talked about how the ride is "not necessarily that firm"... but that could be due to shocks.

Mazda3 curb weight

The Mazda3 does weigh more than the Protege. It's essentially a by-product of increasing both rigidity and wheelbase.

But anyways, it's not 3,100 pounds. Here are the curb weights (US-folks can convert it themselves):

Mazda3 Sport (hatch): 1,312kg (MT)
Mazda3 sedan (2.0l/2.3l): 1,230kg (MT), 1,287kg (MT)

Mazda 3 Sport (Hatchback) comes in at:
2892.96 lbs. Roughly.

Mazda 3 Sedan (2.0L):
2712.15 lbs.

Mazda 3 Sedan (2.3L):
2837.835 lbs.

I'm a Canadian-folk, but I'm so used to seeing weight in pounds. :D

Thanks wongpres. That clears things up a lot.

So it was a mistake.

2800 curb weight is what I expected out of the 2.3 sedan. That's more like it.

I'm back to wanting one...

And i'd rather have a car that is 200 pounds lighter than 40% stiffer. The difference in weight will be a lot more noticeable.

Last edited:
the p5 is better.

i wouldnt mind having 144hp on tap, but the p5 has a much better balance of looks and function

and guage pods are totally gay/matrix

Latest posts

Back