2nd Gen RX7 Wheels

Necessity

:
'05 Subaru Impreza
I'm debating picking up a used 2nd generation 7 for play purposes (autocross).

I'm a little curious about their tires though. I know they can come with stock 16's, but I don't know the offset or width. If anyone here could help me out it'd be great. I'm trying to price out tires or rims of the same size and have kinda hit a roadblock here.

Thank you much!

16" x 7" are on the RX-7 Turbo II's (What I have), and have a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern with a 40mm offset.

The cars that don't have 16" wheels come in two different bolt patterns, the GTU featuring a 15" wheel with a 5 x 114.3, and all the other cars that have four lugs (Anything but the 10th Aniversary/Turbo II/GTU) featured a 14" x 5.5" 4 x 114.3 'Phone Dial' type wheel.

The 16" wheels found on the TII's and some GTU's from '89 - '91 were different animals from the earlier 16" wheels ('87 - '88), as they were very thin spoked, and weighed in at 18lbs, whereas the older wheels weighed in at 24lbs a peice.

The stock tires were 205/55-16's.

Did I get all your questions? =)

Yes! I'm actually looking at a 87 TII right now so that answers my question perfectly. Thank you much!!

Sweet! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. =) I have an '88 Turbo II, but don't forget to get a FCD (Fuel Cut Defencer) if you're doing anything with the exhaust; My car has no monolithic converter, so it's boosting to about 7.5psi, otherwise stock, and it'll cut out pretty easily past that, so I built an FCD for it, and I just have to set the trimmer for it, soon.

Whoa. I'll have to pick your brain sometime!.

I'm currently debating if I want to pick up the 7 as a daily driver and autox the 6 (class seems easier to compete in), or race the 7.

The FC (FC3S is the chassis code, and a common name for the second gen RX-7's) is a class B car, and is very competitive, and quite capable of a car. Considerably quicker than the 6, and more nimble to boot, at least in my experience, of having driven a 6 twice, and the FC more times than I can count. =) However, the class that the 6 is in leads itself to be a much more laid back race, while still competitive. It's good to learn autocrossing on a slower, less capable car, then move up to a more capable car as your skill grows, at least in my experience.

That's my input on the situation; The RX-7 is purpose designed for the track and road... The 6 was desigend for the road alone, but may lend you to an easier learning curve.

As far as brain picking is concerned, go right ahead; That's why I'm here. I've pulled apart the FC, and rebuilt it from the ground up, so most technical stuff I can answer, and I, like anyone on here, have oppinions, so if you ask for those, you'll get them. ;)

Well, the 6 corners surprisinly well, but it's crazy heavy and slow to accelerate at times coming through turns.

I may start with the 6 and move to the 7 later. Here's a quick one for you. Do you think the FC could handle Kosei K1 Racing.
17 X 7.5 with the same bolt pattern.

Kosei's would work if you got them in the correct offset and centerbore... You would want a +34 or lower offset, and that may affect camber. The reason you want to keep the offset as far out as you can, in this case, is the RX-7 is prone to dragging against the inner fender wells or suspension components if you were move the wheel inward too much. With a +34 offset, your wheel would stick out an extra 1.2cm, and you'd want the car aligned for the new rims, which is normal with any wheel swap. The centerbore isn't usually a big issue, as it's a pretty small bore required, so anything larger will fit, too, plus you can have it bored out a little if it doesn't, which is relativly cheap. But remember, they'll bump you up a class if your tires/wheels are off from the stock size!

My suggestion would be to get some S5 (Series 5, 1989 - 1991) wheels for yours to save weight, but keep the stock size.

isn't 16 x 7 technically 'stock' size for FCs as well, since it's the stock size for TII's and GTUs model?

I'm planning to get a set of 16" Rota Subzeros (14 lbs!!!) w/ Falken Azenis, should make for dramatic handling improvement :D

Hmm.. This may be a bigger issue then I first thought. Class right now doesn't matter as much as having fun. I can handle losing as long as I'm still driving.

I was hoping to get a tire that I could interchange if I decided to change vehicles for autox. The 6s with 17's has a 60mm offset now...

On the track, I run pretty close to stock, 40 psi front, 36 psi rear. It seems to work pretty well, as turn in is nice and sharp, and I can get on the gas pretty quick after a turn, too. =)

And yes, if you have a wheel that came on another version of the car as a 'stock' wheel, they usually let you get away with it. =)

The offset on the 6's wheels would be way too high for the RX-7; You'd need spacers to put it on. Like 20mm worth of them. =)

flat_black said:
On the track, I run pretty close to stock, 40 psi front, 36 psi rear. It seems to work pretty well, as turn in is nice and sharp, and I can get on the gas pretty quick after a turn, too. =)

heh, that's exactly what i was running this past sunday (see sig of me in action :D )

I think I just need to get used to the tail-happiness of a RWD, where when I had the Protege I just stomp on the gas to pull myself out of a turn :D

it'll take time!!!!

one of the best mods for the track would be getting the rear steer elim.

Part No.
0000-04-7404-KT
Description
BUSHING KIT,TOE-STEER ELIMINATOR
Notes
Delrin bushings replace stock bushings, eliminating rear suspension's toe-steer characteristics. Both sides.

Back