Contributor
Edmunds.com on the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

From Edmunds.com:
http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/53156/page016.html

03_mazdaspeed_f34.500.jpg

What is it?
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

What's special about it?
Mazdaspeed is the name of the team established in 1967 in order to institute Mazdas in the motorsport world. Since then, Mazdas, and especially the RX-7 with its rotary engine, have captured numerous trophies, the most prestigious being the 24-hour Le Mans endurance race in 1991, the only Japanese car ever to win that race. Since then, Mazdaspeed, with a devoted, race-lovin' following, has been dedicated to aftermarket parts and accessories to enhance its vehicles. Mazda now plans to expand its line of performance-enhancing parts and accessories for street use as well as logo-ed apparel for the fashion-forward crowd who want to display their allegiance.

For the first time, Mazda is releasing a street-legal vehicle massaged by Mazdaspeed. The Protege, already a delight to drive, is further augmented by a Garrett T24 turbocharger which will increase horsepower output to 170, tempered by a Tochigi Fuju Sangyo KK Super limited-slip differential. For the chassis, Racing Beat used a strut tower brace, higher-rate coil springs, revalved Tokico dampers and larger-diameter stabilizer bar bracket and bushings for the front and twin trapezoidal links for the rear suspension. A 17-inch wheel with a five-spoke design adds visual drama to the package.

Inside, the Protege is spruced up with drilled aluminum pedals, a Sparco shift knob, silver-faced gauges, a Nardi steering wheel and color-keyed stitching. Kenwood is responsible for the cool (if somewhat difficult to use) CD/MP3 player with 450 watts.

Why should you care?
On sale in the fall of 2002, only 2,000 units will be available. Right now Mazdaspeed is more specialized than Ford's SVT, but with this entrance into the production world, it seems to be going mainstream.

Article/Pics of Mazdaspeed

I saw the new mazdaspeed 2.0 turbo,
the orange looks awesome
also some pics of a very nice MPV
and MX8 from the NY Autoshow....

I could not get pics of the Mazda6, too many people
around that car, it was crazy how they were surrounding
the mazda6 and mazda6 Hatchback!!!!

They had an article on the mazdaspeed Turbo,
which I scanned for all to read...

http://photos.yahoo.com/mylilracer2002

Pictures in photo album named NY Auto

Enjoy

:)

i do not find the article, just says a lot of press release links but for other news... no protege related news that i can see

As requested, a thread for posting articles about the new Mazdaspeed Protege.

Please take the time to read through this thread before posting a new article that may already have been posted in here.

I emailed Jim Langer at Racing Beat about his link and he didn't even realize that the Href's had been left out.

They're active now. Still basically the same info, though. Oh well.

Back