Need some help with physics!

Yeah, a car messageboard to ask this of all places, but I remember someone mentioned something about this before so I decided to ask :)

Can someone give me an explanation of Bernoulli's Law in layman's terms? I'm having trouble understanding it from reading books. :confused: Also, how does temperature effect an object in flight? And lastly, what's "Reynold's Number"? Thanks for the help guys!

wow

as far as an object in flight: on the ground or up in the air
cold air vs. warm air
i always thought that the warmer the air, the easier an object would be able to move.
i'll email my cousin, physics major

I promise if you try this you will understand. attached is a picture so you can see how it works.
post again if you need more help

Glue a thin piece of cardboard about 3 by 5 inches onto the end of an empty spool of thread. Use a pencil point to make a hole in the card where the hole is in the spool. Push a thumb tack through another 3 by 5 card at its center. A straight pin could also be used. Put the end of the spool with the card attached over the point of the thumb tack. Hold the other end of the spool to your mouth. Use one hand to hold the card with the thumb tack. Blow forcefully into the spool and leave go of the card as you do so. The card is not blown away. Instead it seems the harder you blow the better the card stays in place.

This is Bernoulli's law which says that the faster a fluid moves across a surface, the less the fluid pushes on the surface. So the side of the card which has air moving across is pushed on less than the card's other side. Since the slow moving air on the other side is pushing the most, the card is held up. I do not know if there is a commonly accepted explanation for why fluids act this way.

Bernoulli's law is for a fluid moving along a surface. If the fluid's path is toward the surface then the forces are what you would expect: the greater the speed, the greater the push. In this demo air does move toward the bottom card, but only at its center. Most of the card has air moving along the surface.

Attachments

• law.gif
    law.gif
    974 bytes · Views: 138
Wow, thanks for all the help guys! Lots of smart people here :) Especially the one about heat, I coudlnt' find anythign about that one. Again, thanks for the help. And I love that lil experiment katsmp3, it'll be great for presentations.

Back