question for the guys who built their own turbo setups

Spoolin and I both made our own manifolds. I dont' think he used stainless and I didn't either. I used Schedual 40 Mild steel weld-els. I think Spoolins manifolds are Cast Iron.

chdesign said:
Use 321 stainless as that is the same type that they use on almost every drag car and they never crack.

yes, and 4340 is actually an alloy. but i am curious if the 321 grade is high enough for daily drivers due to the fact that most drag cars are built to specs and for weight issues as well....

EVERYONE WITH TURBO'S....what is the car like with out the LSD???....what type of tractiona re u getting if you are even drivin ya cars yet.???....i know it is a must do but u think u can have the turbo and still get the best outta it with out the LSD?/

I used 321 grade on a prevous manifold on a prevous car. DONT USE it!! That stuff is race spec and will crack very quickly.

321 SS will not crack if you TIG weld a certain way to reinforce the weld. the cracks only happen at the weld, as for the metal itself, it holds up well. there are many manufacturer out there that are using SS manifold (XS, TBKO, etc)...

Inimical_01ES said:
Won't the turbo manifolds on the 4cyl '99 626 work well with our cars?

turbo manifolds from the same engines in diff cars sometimes varies in size (width, height, depth, etc). and sometimes the ports and bolt pattern are diff also.

Ye the 626 engine is the same it is the same FS-DE block and head as well as teh 2nd gen probe and the 2nd gen mx-6

so lets say i was goin to custom fabricate my turbo??? Are you saying that the 626 manifold will fit on my P5??? There is a 626 in a junk yard and the manifold is there for the picking...

The 626 Manifold will bolt onto the FS engine since IT IS THE SAME ENGINE. you could build up a 626 enigne on the side and just drop it in when you have it doen if you wanted.

If you are determined to use Stainless steel, 321 is a good choise, as it is readily available and is generally fairly cheap (for stainless)

Cranking and fracture of a manifold is 99% due to improper weld procedure (pre and post heat treating not done) or improper welding gas mixture or weld rod selection, or a combination. If you have a SS manifold or header made, the builder must have the proper equipment, gas mixture, and heat treat ovens to properly weld it. Often times the design will not account for the thermal expansion of SS, a disadvantage of SS. SS has a very high coefficient of thermal expansion, in other words it may expand 2-3 times what a normal iron or steel alloy or carbon steel would expand when exposed to the same temperatures. Your design MUST account for this, or otherwise you end up overstressing flange bolts and/or weld seems and ultimately fracturing them.

I would recomend sticking with steels for that very reason. . . thermal expansion is not a big issue with steels.

Enjoy,

Last edited:
The Protege is the future of the FS motor. . . Not to mention the Protege scene is much more active than the Probe 2.0L FS scene. Just keeping my eyes open to whats going on if the "FS" world. Hopefully, the Protege aftermarket will spill over into the 2.0L Probe market too, not that I can use much of the standard bolt-on stuff, but I would still like to see the aftermarket grow for the Probe regardless.

chdesign said:
Well welcome to the board Bryan!! I seem to see you skipping around alot lately LOL.

Cool deal bryan you never know the BEGI turbo kit might fit fairly well onto the Probes. Hows the Probe running??? Oh yeah I got the quote on the cam gears and they said at the time they do not have the manpower to undergo such a deal.

I have another good lead from a guy who works at ZEX/Competition Cams (they are sister companies) and should be following up soon. I am also working on some custom motormounts that will replace the stocks all together with a solid polyeurathane bushing bonded to the new mount. I have designed it to lower the engine approximately 1/8-1/4" for improved half-shaft alignment and reduced center of gravity. It will be a several monthes before I offer them retail, but they might also be compatible with the FS Proteges.

As for the old Probe, its in pieces. For two reasons actually. One for a new set of pistons, because the originals were designed for N/A motor, and lasted about 800 miles with 12-14psi. That was a communication error on part of my original builder, I am taking control and responsibility of this rebuild. Second, due to a ruptured battery during a tuning session on the road without the hood on the car, resulted in acid etching the paint on about 70% of the car. Filed an insurance claim, and now I duking it out with the insurance company, as they ended up totaling the car out as they valued it at blue book, but the car is work 2-3 times blue book with the work that put into it. So appraisers are doing their thing to reassess the value of my car for insurance purposes. . . . what a hassle. It will be several monthes before I am back on the road though.

chdesign said:
Cool deal bryan you never know the BEGI turbo kit might fit fairly well onto the Probes. Hows the Probe running??? Oh yeah I got the quote on the cam gears and they said at the time they do not have the manpower to undergo such a deal.

Cool deal Bryan let me know if you get those gears made.....but i dont' know how much i would need them though i am getting enough air into the engine i need to tune the exhaust cam to push a little more air out. I'm thinking I might just put the MS exhaust cam in to let a little more gas out.

The Protege is the future of the FS motor. . . Not to mention the Protege scene is much more active than the Probe 2.0L FS scene. Just keeping my eyes open to whats going on if the "FS" world. Hopefully, the Protege aftermarket will spill over into the 2.0L Probe market too, not that I can use much of the standard bolt-on stuff, but I would still like to see the aftermarket grow for the Probe regardless.
Welecome to the board Byan!!
I know alot about you and heard alot about you. I linger around on the protegeclub and probetalk forums to gain more insight on the FS regarding forced induction. I am glad to see you join our little family here and look foward to your input and expertise on F/I. You are a great addition to our forums:D

Back