Mazda3 Gauge Cluster

:
1999 Mazda Protege "Sport20" FS-ZE swap
Mmmm...this looks pretty at night...

photo_design.jpg

I wish I could find a larger pic somewhere.

Here's one in context

37867.jpg

My brother is looking at getting a 3, I don't think he's sold on the new body style yet though. He wanted a P5, but I got one first and I don't think he wants to be a 'copy cat'.

Go figure We're 26 & 23, but there's still that lingering rivalry :)

At least we both have great taste! ;)

-Sp

Color scheme looks like the schemem VW use, and the colors in my current VW. It is really classy looking and easy on the eyes.

blue is NEVER easy on eyes, the force your pupils to constrict and that MATTERS when driving on a dark road because it takes your eyes longer to readjust to it!

hence why indiglos suck

That is interesting. I guess I think it is better due to prior cars having very dim green light which to me was hard to see. One question, do your pupils get use to this readjusting due to gauge lighting.

TheMAN said:
blue is NEVER easy on eyes, the force your pupils to constrict and that MATTERS when driving on a dark road because it takes your eyes longer to readjust to it!

hence why indiglos suck

Red light is the best for night driving as it doesn't strain your eyes like other colors. Blue is the next best.

Wouldn't colors simliar to red be beter then blue? The next best would be orange and then yellow, then green, then blue.

3forme said:
One question, do your pupils get use to this readjusting due to gauge lighting.

I don't think it's really a matter of the pupils 'getting used to it'. It's just that everytime you look down at the guages and then back to the road your eyes need to readjust, and that causes strain on the muscles, leading to fatigue, leading to eyes closing, resulting in a horrible crash.

-Sp

which brings up another nasty topic... BLUE HEADLIGHTS, "hyperwhites", any of that class 2 HID (5000k,6000k, etc) s*** are BAD

StreetPreacher said:
I don't think it's really a matter of the pupils 'getting used to it'. It's just that everytime you look down at the guages and then back to the road your eyes need to readjust, and that causes strain on the muscles, leading to fatigue, leading to eyes closing, resulting in a horrible crash.

-Sp

uhh no... if you understand the basics of the light spectrum, blue and red are practically opposite of each other! blue is basically the absense of yellow... the NEXT best thing after red is orange and yellow

StuttersC said:
Red light is the best for night driving as it doesn't strain your eyes like other colors. Blue is the next best.

TheMAN said:
which brings up another nasty topic... BLUE HEADLIGHTS, "hyperwhites", any of that class 2 HID (5000k,6000k, etc) s*** are BAD

Those things are killer. On my last long drive back from Grand Rapids I was passed by a BMW sporting those nice blue headlights. They flashed in my sideview mirror and practically blinded me.

-Sp

HID or Xexon lights IMHO are a catch 22. For the driver they improve night time vision 100%. As for someone who is being followed by an HID equipped car or is being passed in the opposite direction by said car it can be almost blinding.

TheMAN said:
uhh no... if you understand the basics of the light spectrum, blue and red are practically opposite of each other! blue is basically the absense of yellow... the NEXT best thing after red is orange and yellow

Um, no...It is red then blue. Whenever we go down range at night the best lens to have is red, then blue.

I know from personal experience. Light spectrum or other wise, it's the truth.

3forme said:
HID or Xexon lights IMHO are a catch 22. For the driver they improve night time vision 100%.

Problem is that their vision is only increased 100% in the area that the light reaches. After driving for a while with those lights, I bet that you're pupils would be so contracted that if you tried looking at anything outside the range of the lights you might as well be blind.

-Sp

Back