Kenwood specs for the KDC-MP919

I actually like the look of the z828 better. Although, I would appreciate the large volume button, and the flip face and detachable options.

Not that I'm a thief, but with that hidden option on the deck, if the guy knew what kind of system it was wouldn't they still be able to steal the whole deck and still have the face then?

Not sure if I'm saying it right, but basically if I always put my face in the glove and someone knew that, it'd be easy for them to steal my whole system. Same goes for the "hidden" part...unless there is some sort of other security to it that I'm just not seeing....I would just take it off all the time anyhow then I think.

Big B.

Your right, it doesn't really serve a purpose for the real theifs out there. it's more for show then anything. Then again, in a place like I live, the flip face would keep prying eyes from noticing it as most people around here wouldn't know what it was to begin with. I take my face off when I am worried about it, but I often wonder, if I take it off every day at work, would the contacts eventually get worn?

I find around here, people see the color, say while she's parked, and go wow that's cool, and then they start looking in the windows and go, s*** look at the Kenwood, and then they just stare. Drives me nuts. I work in a University, and I often see people circling the car. Not so bad now since winter hit, and she's dirty and the steelies. But I can see them from my office, and when I do....I wait until they got their face up by the window, and I flick on the alarm ( horn goes off too)......ahhh man it's a laugh.

at least you can take off your faceplate...i got the original 919. how dare kenwood use the same bad #'s on the new one? anyway, i love to hit my alarm when people get up on my ride too, good times. especially since they have to almost touch the windows just to see in, which sets off the motion sensors...heehee

Actually, there is an option on all the flip face Kenwood decks to enter a security code. So if your deck is stolen, it would be completely useless. One the deck is disconnected from the negative terminal on your battery, you will then have to enter the code to make the deck fully functional. So if they thief knows anything about kenwood decks, they would think twice before stealing one since the code is probably activated. Even if your deck is stolen once the code is activated, you'll at least have the satisfaction in knowing that the deck will be useless to the thief. Your insurance will cover you if your deck get stolen anyway. With the detachable face, there is more of a chance of wear and tear over the years of owning it. Just my .02 cents.

I wonder about that security feature. Can Mazda or Kenwood restore the head unit if they don't know the password? I had my z828 swapped out in a repair and I still had a password set on the old unit.

Anyways, I LOVE the new KDC-MP919. Wish I had it in my car. I'd pick that one over the z828 any day... alas, I'm quite fond of my z828 as it is. hehe. :)

About the contacts wearing out with the removable face. I believe it would eventually wear out, but I am one of those who pretty much removes the face if I know I'm going to be away from the car for more than 5 hours. It's worth it with the sense of security.

APEXistud said:
Actually, there is an option on all the flip face Kenwood decks to enter a security code. So if your deck is stolen, it would be completely useless. One the deck is disconnected from the negative terminal on your battery, you will then have to enter the code to make the deck fully functional. So if they thief knows anything about kenwood decks, they would think twice before stealing one since the code is probably activated. Even if your deck is stolen once the code is activated, you'll at least have the satisfaction in knowing that the deck will be useless to the thief. Your insurance will cover you if your deck get stolen anyway. With the detachable face, there is more of a chance of wear and tear over the years of owning it. Just my .02 cents.

Back