Custom Turbo Q&A

CharlieP5

I've just decided to go with a custom turbo kit for my P5.
All the past experience with cars I have is on the NA route. My P5 desperately needs a turbo fast. (I'm used to 195whp Cars)

Please help me out on my Q's.

1.What exhaust manifold can I used (That will fit my P5)
2.What Cars have the same engine as ours (Probe year ??? or 626 Year ???)
3.Whats the max Boost I can run on with stock internals?
4.What Intercooler do you recomend?
5.What Turbo should I get?

All your help will be gratly appreciated...

Thanks

You can use the search button and find the info....but I will awnser your questions to make your life easier;)
The manifold......MAZDASPEED if you wanna wait/turbonetics/or I can sell ya one like the one on my car. I have already 2 made up and will be setting up my business in the next week or so. I am finishing the last touches on my website.....so look out for that!

The 4cyl probe is also an FS series motor.

Max boost on internals reliably is about 6-8psi intercooled and 10psi with a standalone system.

I recommend any efficient intercooler that will fit nicley in the front grill. ie Starion, Isuzu NPR, Mitsu fuso

As for a turbo.....what you lookin for?? Response? All out topend power?? Or a combo of the two?? Let me know and I will be happy to reccomend you some turbos for your needs.

Hey spoolin, what flange did you decide to go with on your manifolds you are selling? I would love to run a killer 16G like you, but I think you were making them for a T3 right?

Oooh a website...I'm looking forward to that :)

As for the manifold that you'll have for sale will it be the tubular manifold that was made out of cast iron? I got the impression that one like that was better for performance....

spoolinmp3 said:
You can use the search button and find the info....but I will awnser your questions to make your life easier;)
The manifold......MAZDASPEED if you wanna wait/turbonetics/or I can sell ya one like the one on my car. I have already 2 made up and will be setting up my business in the next week or so. I am finishing the last touches on my website.....so look out for that!

The 4cyl probe is also an FS series motor.

Max boost on internals reliably is about 6-8psi intercooled and 10psi with a standalone system.

I recommend any efficient intercooler that will fit nicley in the front grill. ie Starion, Isuzu NPR, Mitsu fuso

As for a turbo.....what you lookin for?? Response? All out topend power?? Or a combo of the two?? Let me know and I will be happy to reccomend you some turbos for your needs.

How much for the manifold?
Thats just it I'm not willing to wait for mazdaspeed or tripoint or bell or corksports. I want to get boosted already.
I'm just looking for 6psi. Good response and little top end would be nice.

Let me know the price on your manifold I'll definately give you a call to buy it. That turbonetics manifold is damn expensive.

Thanks for your help Spoolinmp3!

Hmmm sounds like there will be lots of interest in your custom manifold. Add me to the list too! :)

I'm guessing since me and Spoolin are btoh using mitsu turbos it will be the flange for a TD05H turbine housing. There are tons of options out there for that config. T25, T28, 14G, 16G, 18G, and the huge 20G More options than a T3 flange. I thought about tuning mine into a manifold for sale but i do not have the capacity or money at this point to undergo such a project.

How much for one of the two you have now?

How much, how much how much! I want join your elite boosted MP3 club asap. All I want is the manifold though. Can you give an approximate price? My email again is bcordle@halff.com Let me know something. Thanks spoolin.

I may consider buiding mine on a case by case basis. But remember mine is not like Spoolins. Mine is a log type with the turbo facing up much like the Factory P5 turbo. Mine is constructed from Schedual 40 mild steel and then painted with a ceramic paint. The actual paint flakes off but the ceramic stays on the metal giving it a nice silver look. Mine is also a Log type manifold and they have been proven to flow just as well as an unequal length tubular manifold. I will let you all know more later.

Can you post a close up pic of your manifold? Please. How much would you charge and how soon can you have one made. You can email me at bcordle@halff.com Let me know something, I want to start this asap. Thanks.

I'll Pay for It!

chdesign said:
I may consider buiding mine on a case by case basis. But remember mine is not like Spoolins. Mine is a log type with the turbo facing up much like the Factory P5 turbo. Mine is constructed from Schedual 40 mild steel and then painted with a ceramic paint. The actual paint flakes off but the ceramic stays on the metal giving it a nice silver look. Mine is also a Log type manifold and they have been proven to flow just as well as an unequal length tubular manifold. I will let you all know more later.

How About if I send You The Money you need to fabricate me the manifold you have and after I receive it or when it's ready to ship you charge me a labor cost$$$.

That way you do not have to use your money to fabricate it.
I'll send you the money
You Make it For me
Then Charge me with labor cost

Let Me know maybe you can start you business that way. with some money up front.

Let me know if you agree!

Good thinking, Charlie! Grassroots modification...more work than the Honda/Toyota crowd, but somehow more satisfying. :)

Hi guys
Well one down, one more to go.
I alraedy sold one of my manifolds to a p5 guy down here in miami. I will use the other one as a sort of prototype to model my manifolds. As for pricing on my manifolds....unfortunatly the aint cheap. These are custom built tubular manifolds, that will be ceramic coated. If any one is really interested in purchasing a manifold or non intercooled turbo set up you can email me at spoolsales@aol.com But I warn you these things are not gonna be cheap......and according to forum rules I cant post prices. But I will tell you that it will take me on the average of 2 weeks to get you a manifold and it will be in the ballpark of about a 100 more than a turbonetics manifold. Or you can try to hook up with chdesign and see how much he will sell you one. I would imagine that his will cost less than mine since the are log style and not tubular. I will also give a 1 year warranty for my manifolds.
Like I said if anyone is interested contact me and I can tell you what I would be able to do. Or just wait for my website on the forum;)
Later
Spoolin

Check that email spoolin, me and big blue are sitting here fighting over that manifold. What is your turnaround time going to be on building new ones? Were very interested!

chdesign said:

Hey chdesign, send me an e-mail about how much it will cost to have a manifold made, and sent to me. Let me know, my e-mail address is mmarsh@atc.uscg.mil
Thanks Mike

:D

Back