A question...

melicha8

I was doing a little research and I read that larger turboes ahve less back pressure than smaller turboes. I assumed that this was because there is less volume for the exhaust gases to escape in the smaller turbine housing than in the larger one. I also know that the smaller turboes spool up faster than the larger ones. Since we have an I4 in our car why cant we use a small compressor for quick spool up and a larger turbine housing for less backpressure and get the best of both the large and small turboes. Does this make sense? Thanks for the input

Yes this does make sense and is called a hybrid turbo......kinda like a t3/4 which has a t3 compressor for quick spool and a t4 housing for lotsa flow and minmal back pressure. If you want to understand the design of turbo and all the little tricks involved I highly reccomend the book MAXIMUM BOOST BY CORKY BELL.......This will give you an indepth look in how turbos work, backpressure, compressor maps ect.

Where can you order that book? I also have a question. Can you make a hybrid by putting a T25 compressor in a T3 housing?

Did you do the custom turbo install yourself Spoolin? I'm sure you've said it before but I can't seem to find the thread specifically about that. If you did...what sorta mechanical background do you have? I do plan to get the book if only for my own knowledge, but I'm thinking I'll be getting the install done for me rather than attempting it myself.

big_ben said:
Where can you order that book? I also have a question. Can you make a hybrid by putting a T25 compressor in a T3 housing?
Barnesandnobles.com

You can make sorta the combo of the T25/T3 you want. I have seen a conversion to use teh TD05H turbine and a T3 wheel which is basically what you are looking for but for the money of the conversion just go with a T28 better spooling than a T3 yet just as effiecent....actually its more efficent.

Back