Mazdaspeed curb weight

NC_MP3

Anyone happen to notice the weight of the new protege? 2800 lbs. Doesn't the MP3 weigh in at about 3400? Man, that is 600 lbs lighter.

Lol I can see it now....if the Mazdaspeed is higher you'll see MP3 owners claiming their cars are faster cuz of the weight difference :D

"powered by less weight" haha...dammit, i need to prank someone. i forgot it was the 1st.

I agree with BigBlue, I can also see people claiming the MP3 is faster b/c of less weight. Hell, that is what some P5 people said. They thought 100lbs made their wagon blow the doors off the MP3. That's just absurd.

That label that is in the door sill on the drivers side, front door. It says GVWR 3644 lbs. I thought that was the weight? I must be wrong hehe. Oh well, I never claimed to be a car expert :)

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. In fact if you look at the plate on the door, it will list the front and the rear axle weights as well. 1947 lbs front and 1720 lbs rear in the case of the MP3.

In theory, you are not supposed to load the vehicle in such a way as to exceed that weight. If the curb weight of the car, with all fluids, is 2900 lbs then you can carry 3644-2900 = 744 lbs of useful weight.
2 people at 170 lbs each =340 lbs. 744 - 340 = 404 lbs of other cargo you can carry.
or
4 people in the car at 170 lbs each 680 lbs this means that we have only 60 lbs of cargo left.
You get the idea. I think Mazda gave the weight of the MP3 as 2725 lbs.

I remember reading the "making of the mp3" somewhere, and it said that the dunlops, at the time were the only tires that met with mazda wanted gvwr rating.

Makes sense.

dolphin said:
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. In fact if you look at the plate on the door, it will list the front and the rear axle weights as well. 1947 lbs front and 1720 lbs rear in the case of the MP3.

In theory, you are not supposed to load the vehicle in such a way as to exceed that weight. If the curb weight of the car, with all fluids, is 2900 lbs then you can carry 3644-2900 = 744 lbs of useful weight.
2 people at 170 lbs each =340 lbs. 744 - 340 = 404 lbs of other cargo you can carry.
or
4 people in the car at 170 lbs each 680 lbs this means that we have only 60 lbs of cargo left.
You get the idea. I think Mazda gave the weight of the MP3 as 2725 lbs.

Eeeek.....reading that post gave me flash backs of middle school math class. All those word problems.:( I was never good at math.:p

word problem...

if a protege leaves mazda north america traveling 70mrh due east, and a second (mp3) protege leaves canada at 82.45 mph, which one is phatter?

Doh! I've had 5 people + cargo in my car before...wonder how much that weighed...

Re: word problem...

derrick1623 said:
if a protege leaves mazda north america traveling 70mrh due east, and a second (mp3) protege leaves canada at 82.45 mph, which one is phatter?

Big Blue...that is a trickier question that even you realized....I KNOW how fast 82.45 MPH is....but just how fast is 70 mRh??? lol lol

Back