Water Injection

chdesign

Ok eveyone I think i have decided not to fool wiht an intercooler and do a water injection setup. Much higher effeicincy and alot less space and less conspicuos (spelling?) Let me know what you all think.

What kit do you plan to use? Jackson Racing? I know thats what the miata guys use but no real replacement for an air/air or air to water intercooler.

I'm looking at the Spearco kit. The Jackson Racing kit is close to 700 bucks but I found hte company our of england that makes the kit for them and its only 450 through them. I htink I'm still going to put the top mount in for now with a fan blowing beneath it. I knew i would have to get a high flow fan but I have to get an 8" fan so I found one that flows close to 1000 CFM that I'm going to use. That should cut the heat down some.

I'm no expert but I believe in screwing with the existing equipment the least possible. I'd suggest separate circulation for the turbo.

The only thing I modified on my stock cooling system was i rerouted teh coolant lines to instead of heating the throttle body it cools the turbo and hot water is not circulated through the throttle body. The water injection is stand alone. Has its own pump resevor and everything.

Hmmm...

It's tough to say. I think depending on how you go, you might have to put some kind of venting in the hood becuase of the heat.

A small cowl induction type thing might work over an air to air intercooler.

You don't have to put holes in the hood with an air to water intercooler.

I don't know about the water injection.

Thats a tough call. the plumming for that can get really tricky. It all depends on how you drive. The air to air IC's are more efficient at high speeds as opposed to the air to water coolers are better at low speeds

ERL vs. Spearco

Jackson Racing sells the ERL Aquamist system 1s. And I'd have to agree, $700 is way overpriced. $450 is the price that most US vendors sell the kit for. I purchased my Aquamist system 2c from George's Imports in (or near) Kansas City, it retails for $600. The system 2c is designed to work with 3rd party engine management systems, but you can use the signals from the fuel injectors if you don't have 3rd party engine management.

The pump and nozzles in the ERL systems are far superior to those supplied with the Spearco systems. One nice thing about the Spearco system is that it comes with the tank. If you get the kit for turbo applications, the tank is pressurized by the engine boost. However, the Spearco's pump only delivers about 15-20psi whereas the pump from ERL offers 70 psi on the regular pump (which from what I've gathered is no longer standard equiptment) and 100 psi from the "Race" pump. If you do go with Spearco, be sure to get the pressurized tank. You have to supply your own tank with the ERL systems. I've seen coolant reservoirs for $5-20.

Although water injection is a great alternative to an air/liquid or air/air intercooler. Installing an intercooler would probably be a better option for you. The primary reason I plan on using water injection is because the only intercooler option availible for my other car is $2000. When I add a turbo to the Protege, it will have an intercooler. Probably just air/air.

If you'd like to experiment with an ERL, I have a used system 1 (not 1s) and a new system 2c that I'd be willing to part with for much less than what they retail for. Contact me via PM or e-mail if interested.

I noticed you were using a 10:1 Vortec FMU. Have you been able to get O2 readings from the ECU or find out where your A/F ratio is? The reason I ask is becuase dumping extra fuel is a common practice with forced induction. The extra fuel cools the intake charge just like what a water injuction system would. However, pump gas doesn't cool off the charge as well as a water/alcohol mix. So if you do go with water injection, or any form of intercooling for that matter, you may want to lean out the A/F a little.

Last edited:
Back