Who here races their Miata.

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
***If anyone feels that this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it. Just thought I'd try to add some discussion to the Miata section. ***

Does anyone here race their Miata? Be it Auto-X, Spec Miata, IT, etc., list it here. Street racers need not apply. I currently race a 1990 Miata in E-stock (auto-x of course). I plan to put it into Spec Miata, or buy another Miata for that venture, within the next year or two, budget permitting.

Current stock class setup:
-Hoosier 205/55/14 Road Race Compound
-KYB AGX adjustable struts
-Braided stainless steel brake lines
-Custom cat-back exhaust (since the stock rusted off)

I'm currently in second for points for the season. :D

Yeah, the Track Dog has been known to hit the track from time to time. 350 hp, 300 ft/lbs at the wheels, 2000 lbs.

DSCN9313.jpg

Keith

I auto-cross my '91 miata in E stock although it's been about a year (I did one event in my MSP last year) -- I'm trying to do a couple of events this year in TN/NC...

I was also wanting to put together a spec miata. My brother is a bit of a honda expert, though, and we might put together a civic for the East Coast Honda Challenge instead.... it might be cheaper than spec miata, although I'd rather do SM.

I autocrossed a '96 Miata in Stock and CSP a few years. Not to Nationals, just regional stuff. I did A TON of track events in that Miata also.

I used to race a '94 in SSB and then in Spec Miata. It actually was the first 1.8 SM built. I didn't own it, but I raced it a bunch of times. The owner had another SSB Miata.

Then, I built and raced a 1990 SM for a couple of years and sold it.

Now I co-own and race a 1990 ITA Miata.

Somewhere between Showroom Stock and Spec Miata, I also raced a 1974 ITA Mazda RX-2.

Every Miata that FM has is awesome. I can't wait to see what they do with that new Club Sport some guy just sent them :). Hows the super charger coming along?

There are three SC prototypes running around. Number one is in private hands and is being driven like a normal car :) Number two is our air/water prototype, and we're still trying to find an IC core that gives us the efficiency we need. That car spent the last few days strapped to the dyno with a garden hose supplying water to avoid the possibility of heatsoaked fluid. Number three has an air/air IC and is being run in Solo II, SM2 in the national series.

The Club Sport is getting a built bottom end and an FM IV. Should be around 300 hp at the wheels.

Keith

i really need to start saving my pennies :)

time to jack the thread :) Keith, lets say I'm looking at used Miata. Which year(s) would be the preferable to pick up and have turboed by you guys with what results?

I autocross and drag race at the track when the smackdown must be laid on conceited honDUH owners. hee :D

I just bought my Miata last friday (9-12-03). I was supposed to buy a truck, but this car was too nice.
Ended up racing it (autoX) sunday. Didn't fare too well having gone from an MP3 to a Miata, but I had a blast. Only .3 seconds behind a 2 driver car in CS. Mines a 96 that needs a little work still, and theirs is a 99 in excellent condition, and they were running cheater rims that are .5" too wide. I didn't protest because it was my first event, and I had 225s on it anyway. :) I should have been able to beat them, I just didn't know the car well enough yet.
BTW, it's a 96 M edition. I'll try and get some pics soon!
The MP3 is gone, but the Miata is a blast!

cjstringer said:
I just bought my Miata last friday (9-12-03). I was supposed to buy a truck, but this car was too nice.
Ended up racing it (autoX) sunday. Didn't fare too well having gone from an MP3 to a Miata, but I had a blast. Only .3 seconds behind a 2 driver car in CS. Mines a 96 that needs a little work still, and theirs is a 99 in excellent condition, and they were running cheater rims that are .5" too wide. I didn't protest because it was my first event, and I had 225s on it anyway. :) I should have been able to beat them, I just didn't know the car well enough yet.
BTW, it's a 96 M edition. I'll try and get some pics soon!
The MP3 is gone, but the Miata is a blast!

Congrats on the purchase. The M Editions are nice cars.

Yes, autocross the 10AE sometimes in CS with Kumho V700 or Hoosier's. Other times in Street tire class with the OEM Pilots. Either way is a blast but with the 6 speed, depending on the course, you really need to do a bunch of gear changing. The car is great fun both on and off the course.

Look what happens when I'm gone--Chris gets a miata. :) Sorry I'm late, but congrats.

I entered my Miata in one autocross last summer and I'm definitely hooked. That was so fun you couldn't pry the smile off me with a crowbar! Last year I was in class c/ss but this year due to mods I've made I'll be running in c/sp. I'm taking the track training course in March and can't wait to try it again! :D

Back