MP3/FS-ZE Dyno

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Well guys,

I finally did it!:D I dynoed my new engine, and what a dissapointment!:( I REALLY need to get my s*** tuned, and maybe the J-spec ECU! Here it is:

Dyno

The guy dynoing said that it climbs steadily up to 4500 RPM, and then it dips, then climbs from the dip? WTF!!! Effectively I have about 147 - 150 HP at the crank! Essentially 7-10 more than stock! At least I get to that HP quicker with the Fidanza Flywheel! :mad:

Last edited:
DAMN that sucks.... there has got to be something wrong with your ECU... are you running a stock ECU with no mods.??? you gained 7 hp at the wheels compared to a stock mp3. and that 7 may be from the flywheel and the clutch b/c they help in getting more power to the ground.... but the torque dosent seem right to me.... you need to get that ecu of yours tuned... bc i think that a J-Spec computer will be basically impossible to come by unless you find a totalled J-spec with the ecu still in it...

Just FYI. There is a J-SPEC ECU in the states. The problem is that you cannot plug it in to the US wiring harness AND you cannot directly download the info to the US ECU. So the problem isnt getting the Japanese ECU. Getting the info from it is

Jeremy

who sells the j-spec ecu? all that would need to be figured out is what each pin is on the us version and the coresponding pin on the j-spec version. then a connecting harness could be made to "bridge the gap"

Dude those number are crap for a 2 grand engine. I'm glad I went turbo instead of engine swap I know this now. I'm making more whp than you are at the crank. Get a stand alone and get some power out of that or get someone to make an ECU adapter. Oh yeah did you get my thread about your fuel PSI guage?

mazdamp3_18 said:
DAMN that sucks.... there has got to be something wrong with your ECU... are you running a stock ECU with no mods.??? you gained 7 hp at the wheels compared to a stock mp3. and that 7 may be from the flywheel and the clutch b/c they help in getting more power to the ground.... but the torque dosent seem right to me.... you need to get that ecu of yours tuned... bc i think that a J-Spec computer will be basically impossible to come by unless you find a totalled J-spec with the ecu still in it...

Corksport sells the J-spec ECU for about $350. The problem will be the re-wireing for the OBD I ECU. I WILL research this and find my answer. I am determined to get this worked out!

Linux I think your only real feasible option is to go with a stand alone and scrap the computer all together. I think the main US distributor of haltech is in texas......you may wanna give them a try and let them reccomend you a very reputable haltech dealer that has lots of expereince on installing them.

I know this kinda sucks dropping another 1500 beans but you have alot more potential for that motor. Do you wanna turbo in the future? The haltech would be great for that too. You will be the first turboed, Jap spec MP3.....SWEEET:)

I did some research today, and it looks like Haltech may be the way for me to go. AEM has a plug-n-play system in development for proteges, but are behind on current developments. Haltech USA is here in Dallas, and there are quite a few folks who can tune it. Maybe next Paycheck?:D

A little late to reply :p

A friend of mine has an MP3 and he swapped it this is wut he said MIGHT might be ur problem...

the reason they would've lost everything for a little at 4000-6000 rpms would be because they're probably trying to run the jspec intake manifold with the VICS system in it w/ no JSPEC ECU. Some people i know have avoided that problem by using their stock ecu and stock intake manifold but used all other FSZE components

Maybe this could help

Re: A little late to reply :p

VizaX said:
A friend of mine has an MP3 and he swapped it this is wut he said MIGHT might be ur problem...

the reason they would've lost everything for a little at 4000-6000 rpms would be because they're probably trying to run the jspec intake manifold with the VICS system in it w/ no JSPEC ECU. Some people i know have avoided that problem by using their stock ecu and stock intake manifold but used all other FSZE components

Maybe this could help

Who is your friend with an FS-ZE engine?

Anyway, that dyno proves what UPSMAN and I believed (the FS-ZE on a stock computer is similar to an MP3). Enginemanagement should yield a lot of hp but, controling VICS is another story. You need a solenoid that is triggered at a specific RPM to switch the intake runners. Personally, I have no idea at what RPM the intake switches or how exactly to do it.

I believe Eric Burmeister (rally MP3) tied open both runners on his FS-ZE.

Right now only one of your runners is open and it could be the one for low end power.

Thanks for posting your dyno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Accually guys, I am using the stock MP3 Manifold. My J-Spec Intake Manifold is in the garage. I will swap this when I have a suitable ECU solution.

Last edited:
Back