Strange...just strange (winshield wipers)

scott42

Contributor
:
Blue MP3 #1169; '06 Subaru B9 Tribeca
This just started this morning, and I was hoping that someone may know what's going on...but I have no idea what it could be...
When I put on the intermitent wipers, as they come back down, there is a click noise made from what seems to sound like behind the guages (almost like the sound of a turn signal)...doensn't happen when they are all the way on, or when I push up for a one time wipe...only on intermittent (sp?):confused: :confused: I have no clue what this could be, and only know its frikkin annoying...:mad: :confused:
any ideas???

Last edited:
NEVER used my intermitten wipers...but could it be the TIMING SWITCH that kicks them on and off intermittently?

:D

I get the same clicking sound. As far as I know it's just the sound of the wiper motor at the intermittent level some reason or another making that sound. Just as a note tho, I had a 2000 Civic and on it's lowest setting it made the exact same kind of noise so it's not something common only to our cars.

It's a delay relay. Simple electronics. They are little fuse like boxes that control the timing of the wiper activation. They are behind the guages in the dash. It's normal. It is close to the dash to keep it as close to the control (your ww stick on the column) as it can be.
Shouldn't be a problem. If it is REALLY loud, it might just be going bad, but you will probably always hear a little clicking unless you buy a caddy or lexus and such. They seem to do a really good job of hiding little noises like that.
Hope that helps!
:cool:

that IS what is making the noise....the relay is a bi-metalic element....that is what makes the clicking noise...just like your blinker makes a clicking noise....same reason. the big difference is that on varible speed wipers....the speed changing switch varries the electrical sourse through the relay which changes the rate at which it heats up, thus changing the timing at which it makes up....thus changing the speed of the wiper oscilation....our proteges only have set speeds for the intermitten wiper operation...but some cars are infinately adjustable.

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the info. I just must be a jackass for this to be the first time I noticed it after having the car for 6 months:eek: :( :rolleyes:

Scott.....to be honest....I have NEVER heard the sound....for the simple reason that I take the course of action that BigBlue recommended....not that I turn it up for that reason...but my volume control tends to reside ABOVE the halfway mark at all times. LOL :D

About the volume control being half way up, what is all the way up? I usually run mine between 17 and 24. Is 40 the max? I usually crank it, but I have no need to get it much louder than I am going.
Just a thought. I would probably also miss about 90% of the noises in my car because of the stereo. Now that vegas helped me gt it set right I love it..

cjstringer said:
About the volume control being half way up, what is all the way up? I usually run mine between 17 and 24. Is 40 the max? I usually crank it, but I have no need to get it much louder than I am going.
Just a thought. I would probably also miss about 90% of the noises in my car because of the stereo. Now that vegas helped me gt it set right I love it..

don't know...can't answere you there.....evidently you have a different head unit than I do....I have the stocker that came in my P-5...it only has a bar that indicates from left to right...no numbers.....

Oh, I got the Z919. It puts out a hell of a lot of sound at 25.
Man I love my car. I spent 2 1/2 hours washing it this evening, and I'm just a little past half done. Can you say anal? I knew you could. :)

I've got the Z828 and it goes up to 35 on the volume so I'd assume the Z919 is the same dealy. Normally when I'm cruising on my own the most volume I can handle is about 25 or so unless it's a really rocking song and it goes up to 30....I only ever went above that to see what the limits were. :D

cjstringer said:
Oh, I got the Z919. It puts out a hell of a lot of sound at 25.
Man I love my car. I spent 2 1/2 hours washing it this evening, and I'm just a little past half done. Can you say anal? I knew you could. :)

CJ....something tells me if you looked up the defination of that if it were associated with my P-5....there would be a picture of ME in the defination!! lol

to give you an idea of what I mean...I took posession of my car on Dec 28. its never been driven in the rain...or even on a wet road for that matter......I have my beater truck for that....I reserve my P-5 and my Harley for sunny days and relitively nice weather......the ONLY water that has been on the car has gently fallen from the end of a hose.... :D and I have one of those roller things like you use to get lint off your pants in the glove compartment to keep the floor mats and the seats clean and new looking all the time. In the back....I have a ziplock with a dampened terry cloth hand towel in it and a larger dry/clean hand towel to use to clean the buggs off first thing after a early morning drive to work. and ya know...when I go out to do a serious every inch cleaning...it still takes me about an hour.........yes I am a bit anal when it comes to my ride....but it will look BRAND NEW...for many many years to come. I am just fortuante enough to be able to treat it like this....I know many people aren't.....I wish they all were.

The really sad part is I can't wait to get off work and finish cleaning it! I wish I still had a second car. It was really nice to leave it in the garage all day. I hate knowing it's in a parking lot over 1/2 mile away from me all day. You never know what's gonna happen to it. It is a guarded lot though. Benefit of working in the pharmaceutical industry. :)
I got yelled at by the boss last night. She thinks I'm too anal, and get this, I got the "You washed your car last week, it didn't need it again." lecture. Some women just don't get it.

Back