Forged Internals

chdesign

Just a question. On rods between the 1.8L and the 2.0L shouldn't the rods be the same just a different crank to increase the stroke? I'm just asking because I doubt they would list rods for an version of an engine that was only produced for 2 years. Also couldn't I take a 2.0L out of a 626 and build it up and just change the flywheel and clutch to make it work with my F25M-R tranny? I'm pretty sure I'm right on this but I wanted to consult with everyone else before I went and bought a 2.0L for the bone yard.

I would think..

It makes more sense to me that they would use the same crank and different rods.

Rods are cheaper to make than cranks aren't they?? It would make more sense to me that they would list two different rods than two different cranks.

As for the motor, it would make sense that it would switch over, I thought the 2.0 liter in the 626 was the FS-DE.

Your best bet I guess would be to go ask the dealership about part numbers and bang, there is your answer.

Yes the 2.0L in the 626 is the FS-DE same as the proteges. I would jus thave to remember to get one from 98 and up as thay run on the DIS system ours do. I think I will check this out with Mazda. If the crank is the same but the rods are different I am in business. I could just take apart my bottom end on the lift and change out my rods and pistons one weekend and then the next monday have a 18 PSI monster Protege.

If you go with rods let us know what kind and where and all that hehe. I looked around Crower.com and will be going with forged rods and pistons when I boost mine, which should be July or Aug.

Hell, I might even spring for the stroker kit hehe.

I know you can get a stroker kit from TKT also which has Ross pistons which in my eyes are better for F/I from what I have heard. I know that the JE pistons are good but will only hold about 15 PSI the Ross pistons if I remember right are good for close to 25 PSI. TKT's stroker kit comes with forged pistons, rods all the bearings/rings/pins you need and a crank that has been shot-peened and balanced. Up displacement to 2.2L This is the only product I would buy from him as he does not actually build the parts just resells them.

The stroker kit from TKT is 2 grand and he says give him about 8 weeks for delivery. But i would rather have the Ross pistons he uses over JE anyday.

Back