Interior Rattle from Subs? A Quick Fix

Jag61180

:
Mazda MP3 Yellow Mica
I got board the other day and decided to investigate my interior rattle problems. I have three 10" subs with 1500 going into all three @ 1ohm.

I was in the line to pick up my girlfriends sister from school when I noticed I was 10 minutes early so I turned up the bass and climbed in the back seat. I leaned the seats forwad, then poped out the push pins holding the rear dash. These come out easily but for those of you who do not know you pull out the inner peice first then the whole thing. The push pins expand with the center pushed in. It is virtually impossible to pull it out with the center in.

Next I slid the seat belts out the two flaps on the side of the cover. And the cover pulls right out.

I put my hand on a few things and walla I have discovers 90% of my rattle problems. The Center seatbelt bracket was rattling like crazy, I tried to tighten it but it still made noise. Then I thought to myself I really only need two seatbelts in the rear so I just removed the whole center seatbelt assembly. Next to go was the three metal peices that holds in a baby car seat.

Back on goes the cover and now I have virtually no rattles inside the car. That was the easiest fix for a stereo system I have seen yet.

As for in the trunk and outside the car I have not tried to fix it yet, The passengers inside the car matter most for me to please so as long as the inside sounds good it fine with me.

Just thought you guys would want to know. If you have any questions just reply.

I am going to try that tomarrow. does anyone else have a pinging noise coming from the rear right at totataly random times. Sounds like it from the upper rear dash but I can find it.

Yeah actually NH I did. I tried out jag's advice on pulling the rear deck and found a bunch of stuff rattling. I've got a JL10w3 so it pushes a little harder than the fac. mazda but it's probably all the same rattles. What I did in addition to jag's removals was take some strofoam nubs off of a head unit package and stick some up under the pass. side front corner of the deck and under the pass. side rear child lock cover. For some reason the push pin clips that hold the deck on on the left and right corners really suck. Put a little tension on em and the rattle should go away. Now I can turn it up till the side view mirrors start vibrating and no rattles.

Jag

Got any pics of your box? I just picked up my MA Audio amp, and im running the Audiobahn ALUM12X subs. Chromed out chi ching! haha j/k, but i want to do a custom bow that looks good and incorperates the Sub and the Amp. thanks

I just sold my digital camera, but I will meet up with linux and see if he can take some pics.

My box is fiberglassed, but I have not had time to get it painted so I carpeted it for now.

How many subs are you running?

I can draw you up a box that has the exact volume needed to produce the sound you want.

Jag,

Let me know when you need to do this, and I will take the pictures for you. You are one hard dude to get in contact with.

sounds great! can't wait to try tomorrow!

Jag61180 said:
I got board the other day and decided to investigate my interior rattle problems. I have three 10" subs with 1500 going into all three @ 1ohm.

I was in the line to pick up my girlfriends sister from school when I noticed I was 10 minutes early so I turned up the bass and climbed in the back seat. I leaned the seats forwad, then poped out the push pins holding the rear dash. These come out easily but for those of you who do not know you pull out the inner peice first then the whole thing. The push pins expand with the center pushed in. It is virtually impossible to pull it out with the center in.

Next I slid the seat belts out the two flaps on the side of the cover. And the cover pulls right out.

I put my hand on a few things and walla I have discovers 90% of my rattle problems. The Center seatbelt bracket was rattling like crazy, I tried to tighten it but it still made noise. Then I thought to myself I really only need two seatbelts in the rear so I just removed the whole center seatbelt assembly. Next to go was the three metal peices that holds in a baby car seat.

Back on goes the cover and now I have virtually no rattles inside the car. That was the easiest fix for a stereo system I have seen yet.

As for in the trunk and outside the car I have not tried to fix it yet, The passengers inside the car matter most for me to please so as long as the inside sounds good it fine with me.

Just thought you guys would want to know. If you have any questions just reply.

okay so i removed said items and still have rattle. i just stared at it and noticed the cover REALLY moves. so i think i need to put some kind of foam between the rear glass and the plastic

I've been saying all along that the center seatbelt makes most of the rattling. I'm really scared of what's gonna happen after I get my system installed. Combine all my amps and its 3800 watts rms.. in comparison.. a rockford 1000 watt amp is really only 270 watts rms.

I've already removed my center seatbelt.. and I'll remove those child seat latches tommorow probably. I have a dynamatted liscense plate, what else do you think I'll need?

Back