Alternator

1sty

Contributor
:
2006 Toyota Tundra DC
Just so you guys know their is a 180 Amp AC Delco alternator that will fit in our cars.

Last edited:
I know this is an old ass thread but .........Where can I get my hands on one of these 200amp beasts ?
My sq system is slowly killing that 75amp pos!
:wtf:

I found out later it was actualy a 180 amp AC delco. The only reason I wasn't pissed is becuase the AC delco had a better idle performance. My idle voltage 14.8 volts.

My local alternator shop was the ones that put it in. They reccomended it and I guess had to bulid custom mounting brackets to get it in there.

What would be the pros and cons to upgrading to this altenator? What difference did it make for you (can you elaborate on the idle)?

A higher output alternator that is a rebuilt rewound tens to suck at idle and drag the system unless the idle is set to 2000 otherwise the stock alternator can put out more juice. Using a stock alternator of higher capacity doesn't do as bad.

Pro:
I run at 14.8 volts and can safely run a high powered system.
My Headlights double in intensity whe it gets going.

Cons:
Loose some power and gas milage. The combo of the alternator and the restriction of the turbo forced me to a 1300 rpm idle setting.
I blow up a set of Piaa Headlights every 3 months.

Back