This forum needs help

cbcbd

...and it was all yellow
Contributor
:
02 P5
I'm calling out for everyone's help on this one.

The threads on this forum are becoming very disorganized. Misplaced threads are cluttering popular sections. Not only does this make the mods job tougher it doesn't help when you try to search by forum section when relevant threads are elsewhere.

I'm not doing this to pick on certain users, it's not personal (most people do it), I'm just using it as an example, but these are examples of titles that should NOT be in a specific car (MSP, P5) section:

(Taken from MSP and P5 sections)
"1/4 MILE TRACK times" - Racing/Motorsports
"Check Out The Fantastic Car Weekend!!! " - Photo/video or Car Meets
"msp owners in tennessee" - Tennesse Regional Chapter
"Good Balt. area dealership?" - Maryland Regional Chapter
"Ebay intake how to?" - How to
"BOMZ v. INJEN v. K&N etc. " - Performance
"2nd ticket in 6 months.... " - Other
"mazda speed rx-8" - Rotary Cars
"Eat your heart out AGR! :)" - Pics/Video
"North Jersey / NYC area autocross?" - Racing/Motorsports or Regional Chapters

Anyway...

There are so many great sections in this forum and I think if everyone just took a second to look at ALL the sections offered they would realize that it's much more useful to use them all when looking into a specific topic.

Sometimes you might run into a thread that is borderline, I'm not talking about those, like you can see from the titles I pulled from the MSP and P5 sections, there are some pretty obvious misplaced threads. (I don't want to look through the MSP section to find movies of MSPs autoxing, I'll go to pics/movies or the Racing/Motorsports section- makes sense, right?)

Take a second to look at the entire main page and get familiarized with all the sections available. It will help you properly place your future threads and avoid clutter in high volume sections.

Take care of your forum and it will take care of you. An organized forum is a happy forum :D

Oh buuuuurn! I'm on that list! Sorry! It is a big d'oh! when you look at that list and see where the thread fits better. Good post, cbcbd! :D

pluto316 said:
FORUM NAZI!!

(wink)
(laugh)

clownphish said:
Oh buuuuurn! I'm on that list! Sorry! It is a big d'oh! when you look at that list and see where the thread fits better. Good post, cbcbd! :D
lol, thanks... ya punk :D

yea guys, its super hard because then i have to move everyones threads, and if i dont leave a mark in the original thread they think its gone. PLEASE im not a forum nazi, but what the heck would a thread relating to a p5 be doin in the msp thread? (just example) pleeease use correct sections!!

I think the mods we have here are trying very hard, and devoting alot of personal time to this forum. And yes I know its part of the job description, but I think sometimes we get hassled a bit too much for things like this.

As far as the members go.. you cant blame them.. as far as I know they arent doing it on purpose. Some that do it, are new.. or just made a simple mistake by misplacing the thread, or thought it would be best viewed from that particular forum. It is the mods job to redirect the thread to the proper location.

Sometimes things will go astray.. and things will be posted in the wrong forums.. and as a mod..I might not notice it at first. But all the posts lately about mods not doing their jobs, the forums being a mess, and MSP owners being jerks is not helping the situation any. It just makes me frustrated.

I think every one is trying very hard to keep this forum a nice, organized, place to find info, and meet other enthusiasts. But we cant be tooo anal about it. Sometimes you have to kick back, relax, and enjoy the show.

SpicyMSP said:
I think the mods we have here are trying very hard, and devoting alot of personal time to this forum. And yes I know its part of the job description, but I think sometimes we get hassled a bit too much for things like this.
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but the purpose of my thread is not to hassle mods. I know it takes a lot of personal time to mod the forum and I think that this little extra thought into it would help.

SpicyMSP said:

As far as the members go.. you cant blame them.. as far as I know they arent doing it on purpose. Some that do it, are new.. or just made a simple mistake by misplacing the thread, or thought it would be best viewed from that particular forum. It is the mods job to redirect the thread to the proper location.

Sometimes things will go astray.. and things will be posted in the wrong forums.. and as a mod..I might not notice it at first. But all the posts lately about mods not doing their jobs, the forums being a mess, and MSP owners being jerks is not helping the situation any. It just makes me frustrated.
That's why I'm posting this thread, to make people aware, at least the ones already here. Like it was discussed in another thread, http://www.protege5.com/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28122, the forum could use a good newbie guide, which could include tips like this one, on posting on the correct section and getting to know and use all of them.
I don't place any blame of claims of the "forum being a mess" on any mods or MSP owners. It's something very small that everyone should be aware of.

SpicyMSP said:

I think every one is trying very hard to keep this forum a nice, organized, place to find info, and meet other enthusiasts. But we cant be tooo anal about it. Sometimes you have to kick back, relax, and enjoy the show.
I agree, it's a lot of different people to manage. I'm all for kicking back (I'm used to finding rogue threads in the P5 section and just ignoring it), I'm just trying to make people aware of other cool sections.

Last edited:
cbcbd said:
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but the purpose of my thread is not to hassle mods. I know it takes a lot of personal time to mod the forum and I think that this little extra thought into it would help.

I dont think that all the blame should be placed on the people posting the thread though. And Im sorry If I was misunderstood for the intentions of your thread. If that is the case then I appreciate your efforts, and I apologise.

cbcbd said:
That's why I'm posting this thread, to make people aware, at least the ones already here. Like it was discussed in another thread, the forum could use a good newbie guide, which could include tips like this one, on posting on the correct section and getting to know and use all of them.

I must have missed that thread. But It sounds like a great idea to me. I would totally support a n00b guide.

now lets kiss and make up, and go give our troll for the day "Smolten" whats coming to him. ;)

Last edited:
Back