Engine Noise

z585

I put a custom sound system in my p5 and I am getting a really bad engine noise in my highs. I have tried many noise filters and ground osilators and none seem to work. I think it's coming from the live-wire on the head unit. Any suggestions?

:( Couple of questions....
1. Did you run your power wire along side of your RCA cables?
2. Your ground, is it on bare metal, like where you took like sand paper or a drimal tool and sanded away the paint down to the bare metal?

I made sure to run all speaker wire and RCA cables down one isde of the car and the power cables down the other. As far as the ground I did not sand the paint off were I screwed the ground to the frame of the car.

Could that be the prob?

Most defintely....also could you have changed out the head unit? Somestimes if decks arent grounded to the chasis good you will get ground noise.

Ok I sanded the paint off the chassie where the ground is connected to and it cut out the highest winning sound. And yes I did install a new head unit and I am going to check the ground to make sure it is grounded good.

Could also be your amp is bad. I hope you have a door speaker amp otherwise this is bad.

Well I checked all my grounds (amps. head unit) and I got out most of the noise. There is still alittle and I think you're right, it is comming from my amp on my highs. Because I don't hear the noise in the subs and the amp on the highs is a HiFonics that is pretty old, so old that it takes a second to warm up. But I will be replacing it next week and that will clear up what little noise is left. So thanks for all the help.

ONE MORE QUESTION?????????

I am getting a loud poping noise from the subs when the head unit is still on when I turn off the car. But as long as the head unit is off when I turn off the car it is OK. What is this from and how do I fix it?

P5
"Same as above"

Engine noise has to come form the highs subs can't play a high enough frequency to reproduce its sound. I'll chack on the amp pop, I can't remember how to cure it or even if its possible.

From what I am guessing you are saying on the sub amp.... When you go to turn the car off and the head unit is still on....you here a short pop. On my sub, I had the same prob. with when I turned it off I got a quick thump, or pop. The reason for MINE to do that is becuase my sub amp Capacitors were releasing (draining there power) everytime it was turned off. I dont know if that is the samething as what you are saying yours is doing. I dont think there was a fix but I will ask some guys here in the shop, about that.

Check your ground on your amp for the highs....for ground noise.
The ground noise you are talking about is high freq correct? YOu should only here it when the car is running

I just dont want you to get it confused with Pink Noise.

Good Luck,

Back