Pre-Turbo Question

BigBlue

Contributor
Ok this is a hard one to get across what I'm looking for....

I want a turbo....I intend to get one as soon as my car comes off warranty...but not before that. That means I have about a 2 1/2 year wait before I get one. In the meantime though I'd like to possibly do some of the things that need to be done as part of getting a turbo but not the turbo itself? Am I making any sense here at all?

For instance on the most basic level, installing gauges for boost and air-fuel before having the turbo would be something that is like pre-preparation...or perhaps buying a new exhaust....or strengthening the rods even....basically I'm looking at trying to spread out some of the costs of an otherwise expensive mod at least a little.

You can also add your method of fuel enrichment whether it be by FMU, adding injectors or stand alone...the FMU and injector adding can be done without many othe rmods to the car and can be on there while the car is running NA the stand alone can be also it just has to be tuned and then retuned when teh turbo is on. If you go front mount intercooler you can go ahead and mount that also so it will save you some headaches in the future. And things like the gauges and turbo timer boost controller things like that can be added to your car at anytime some of them might not do anything though till you get the turbo on. I hope that helps you some. Happy Boosting!:D

if you are trying to put a long lasting reliable turbo in your car u need to do several things first...if not done to your engine already...get as low of a compression rate as you can,..for us it is the stock 9:5.1...then stregthen the engin internal...pistons, connection rods...you want all those that are going to be affected most by the turbo as strong as can be....cam are not really a way to go cause the higher the lift the cams make the intake or exhaust valves stay open for a longer time....so u really dont want that with a turbo....other things like the AIR FUEL moniter u might want to add cause that will help your car from running lean or rich either N/A or TURBO...turbo gauges and all that other s*** is gonna make you look stupid...i mena if u have the tubo gauge oil gauge along with the frnt mouth IC you will really look like you are trying to be an imposter....u might as wel put a bloww off valve on your intake.....LMAO....:D .....it can be done but dont do it....go for the internals of the engine FIRST...it will play ou tin the long run....better lasting turbo and engine with tubo...

Our engines will be just fine on stock internals for a low boost situation. If you are planning on dwevling above 8-10 PSI then yes forged internals would be a good idea. As for what other people think with stuff on yoru car that goes with something that isn't there....well you knwo its going to be there eventually so do what you want. Also forged internals right now are going to cost ALOT as there are no pre-fabbed pistons, rods, cranks or anything for our cars so everythign has to be custom forged. I argee with you that forged are a good idea as I'm going to them soon but they are not neccisary for low boost.

i do understand everything is under like a construction phase for our cars...but if you are going to be puttin a turbo in your car your not gonna be wanting to run too low of a psi...correct....u want a turbos so u dont even have to be trying to have competition with the millions of people who drive the hooked up honda's ....at least i wanna piss all over them..and set my sightss on cars like the wrx-sti and evo-7...i dont think our cars should be in the same catagory as the integs and civics....i still say if you are goin turb....go TURBO....get your engine done like it came from the factory with the turbo...like it is supposed to be....

I agree with that statement but not all of us have the money to put it all on forged internals at once. I'm running 5-7 PSI and I can spank Si's all day long....its also a matter of personal taste. Like right now i'm happy with what I have but I know in the future I am going to be more power hungry and at that point I will either go forged internals or put the Turbo Pro up for sale and get a Supra. If you want all out turbo speed go out and get a factory turbo car IE supra RX-7 Subby so on so forth but if you jus twant a little more umph for your daily driver than a low boost situation is the way to go....not all of us are full out racers.

OH yeah NYCZMP3 why do you ahve 2.5" piping now if you aren' tgoing turbo for a while? 2.5" is just robbing your low end....the most that the stock NA MP3 shoudl go is 2 1/4" piping. I have 2" on mine right now but thats just because I haven't upgraded yet I'm going to 2.5" with my turbo with a high-flo Catco cat and the muffler I have on it now a turbo design A'Pexi Dunk. Just my .02

Great stuff in here so far! I probably wouldn't put gauges in the car until I was nearly ready to put the turbo in. I would like to actually go forged internals as I plan to keep the car for some time even after it goes off warranty....with forged internals can I still use it as a daily driver with moderate boost(8 - 10 I'm thinking)? As for purchasing of items such as those....is it something that there are plans in the make for them to be made by some company already or are we outta luck?

I don't want to buy things twice either so I don't want to replace my exhaust with one that will rob me of power now, but also don't want one that will restrict the power of the turbo.....what determines the piping width...am I wrong in thinking I've heard some people put it to 3" on a turbo vehicle(I'm thinking of an Eclipse hear possibly).

My vision is exactly like NYCZMP3 is saying...I want it to be a rock solid turbo model and I don't mind spending the cash to ensure I'm not in the shop more than I'm on the road sorta deal.

i am going to eventally get a turbo....yeah i am getting robbed by the low end torque...but hey this car is slow as is and it really is noticeabl ebut not much....to tell the truth i didn't know it was gonna hurt that much and i was gonna put a turbo in immediatley but it never went through....like everything else...so in th mean time i made my mistake and i am taking it to my boy to fix...goin to the 2 1/4 exhaust set-up and i am gettin the high flo cat soon and when april comes i'll get my JIC ehaust...iam left with a 2.5 if i decide to go custom self install it will be at use again....if not....no use at all and i wasted my money...bt hey....trial and error...:(

I'd like to get a turbo somewhere down the line also, but you have to be realistic. You will NEVER touch a WRX-STI, or even a WRX with the Cobb tuning package. You can buy a stock WRX, then buy the $5000 cobb package and be pushing close to 400hp. That will never happen from the MP3 without spending way more than $5000 to get the internals forged. Bucause face it, I doubt a company will sell forged internals for our car for the next 5yrs, min. So if you want power like that from a WRX, trade the MP3 for a WRX and you will save yourself a lot of time and money. Just letting you know the facts. Take it or leave it.

If I had a list for pre upgrades this is what I would do.

EGT gauge
FMU
Fuel pump
Clutch
Exhaust 2.5 inch custom system
And maybe an SAFC

SAFC will only do good between idle and mid throttle at WOT our ECU takes over and disregards any signals going to it. SAFC will be good if you get larger injectors and don't want yoru idle to suck. Venom makes a set of injectors that will work with our car they are made for the forb probe but fit in our fuel rails...they are aproximatly 10% larger than stock. I have seen these online for 250 a set. But our stock injectors are fine up to about 7-8 PSI then after that they start to go static on an FMU But on stock internals you dont' want to go above this anyway especially with an FMU. 8psi is about the limit for an FMU after that they become a time bomb....If you go with an FMU 10:1 is the right ratio for our engines. If you want more tunign with an FMU Vortec makes an adjustable one that is adjustable throughout the pressure band and allows alot more fine tuning I believe it runs somewhere around 300 bucks the cartec unit is also adjustable for injector controllers check out www.sdsefi.com

oh yeah about the forged internals....crower makes rods and piston .....oh yeah and also a stroker kit.....they have nuthing listed ut if you calll them and ask they will tell u it will take 8 wks for u to recieve the product....did my research:p

that is correct they do use the JE pistons...the price for the rods were like almost $700...a lil expensie right now...the pistons he stated he would return my call on that along with the stroker kits....

Back