F/I forum!

spoolinmp3

Contributor
Welcome everyone!
I am very excited to be a moderator of this forum and explore the world of forced induction. Any questions regarding turbos, turbo systems, superchargers or other forms of forced induction should be posted here.
Thanks
Spoolin

first question...

is our compression ratio enough to hold up to a turbo,( without internal modifications)?

Our compression ratios are not extremely high. There are many cars out there that have higher compression ratios like hondas that are turbo charged. M2 Miatas have a 10.1:1 compression ratios and have no troubles boosting. The weak link to our motor is the rods. With a basic fuel setup our motors cannot run reliable boost over 10psi without buckling some rods.

Since you now have a forum to yourself and you are the moderator can you now tell us how you piped the air to the IC and into the manifold. I don't see any possible way except offsetting the cooling and air conditioning radiators or piping it out of the bay of the car where it is vulnerable to road debris. I also noticed in the picture that you took out the power steering fluid cooler. has that in anyway changed your handling or did you cool it somewhere else? I need input...

Sheesh guys...Didn't your mom ever teach you about the "magic words"...like please and thank you...Spoolin is nice enough to help out...show some appreciation...thanks...:D

melicha8
I was just kidding on the other post:p
As for the I/C piping nothing was cut just slightly trimmed. I did not want to effect or damage the frame of the car. The charge pipe from the intercooler to the intake manifold slightly goes under the car. Originaly I had the charge pipe set up differently but found this the best way for mass fabricating and not hacking up the car. If you see the pic in the tech forum the downpipe is way closer to the floor than the charge pipe. When I had the ground controls lowered to about 2 inches I hit a railroad crossing at about 100mph got airborn and nothing was effected.
And yes my power steering resivoir was relocated. This is common practice on F/I cars.

Hello everyone I would just like to say welcome and thank you Antoine for the FI section I hope it becomes one of the key highlights of this forum! Spooin thanks for the info on yoru piping I'm sure people will beifit from it if they decide to go front mount. I have decided this weekend to go top mount and have my hood louvered similar to the Ballistic Protege and have a fan under the intercooler set to turn on with a thermostat. Just another intercooler option to throw out there.

Woohoo! Expect me to be here asking a lot of questions...but don't worry I'll use my best manners. :)

F/I parts question

This is perfect
The one goal I have for my P5 (when it comes) is to supercharge it.
I've been skulking anround the tech forum for a little while trying to find out how to go about supercharging an FS-DE engine.
I have talked to Jackson Racing to ask about the compatability of the Focus 2.0L S/C kit.
And yes, I know that the two are completely different and are not compatable mechanically.
But, what I'm wondering is. Are all the componants of the kit incompatable or is it just the intake manifold and other piping?
I've looked at photos of both engines and the layout seems pretty much the same. So wouldn't the mount as well as the belts and pullys be usable?
And the Eaton m45 supercharger is a universal application part so it really doesn't matter what car you use it on right?
Now I'm not a mechanic and I've never yried to do any mods on a car so I don't know what else in terms of parts are a part of a kit nor what other equipment is neccessary for successful supercharging.
But it seems to me that if the only real stumbling block is the intake manifold then that would be a reletivly simple (albeit expensive) part to fabricate for the purpose.
everyone please let me know what you think. I know I may be grabing at straws and have a lack of tech knowledge but from what I've heard there might not be a kit comming our way and that's no good.

Brad

The supercharger idea is good but you will need custom intake manifold among other things. You have to get the pully position just right or you will break belts....you have to get the pully size just right or you will have too much or too little boost. Check out TKT I know that he makes a roots blower kit for the FS engine you might want to look into that. But right now I think it would be quite hard to fab a roots blower to the FS engine. More power to you if you want to I'm just giving you a heads up. Plus a well tuned turbo kit will yeild much more power....and if the turbo it choisen correctly lag will be minimal.

chdesign,
thanks for the heads up.
I'm starting to realize that this could be a monumental undertaking, but hey ... isn't that the fun?
As for turbos I had toyed with the idea. But I had some concerns (although this is again due to my lack of tech knowledge).

1- Heat, because they use exhaust to generate boost Iknow that there is alot of heat involved and although i live in Canada thus heat is never a huge problem I just wory about coolingdown after the car has been running for a while.
2- Durability, I have heard that due to the heat involved that turbos and their related parts have a shorter life than superchargers. This is going to be my daily driver so I need reliability.
3- Fuel efficiency, Again this is a daily driver and I live in the city so fuel efficiency is moderately important. a supercharger equiped with a bypass valve doesn't increase boost unless throttle pressure is applied, increasing rpm's and thus boost. Therefore allowing little change in fuel consumption during relaxed driving.

If these concerns are misguided in regards to turbos so much the better. I would welcome all perspectives regarding the benifits and problems affiliated with both Superchargers and Turbos.
Thanks

Well the heat isn't much of an issue there are thing that can be done to cool down teh engine bay like the Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap both me and Spoolin are using. As far as durability goes for a low boos tthe turbo will last a long time. Many factory turbos are running in excess of 10+ psi so they are working harder than our 5-7 PSI apps. Also if they are watercooled they last much longer and if you want even more longevity in the life of the turbo get a ceramic ball bearing center...much more but well worth it. As far as fuel consumption goes you shoudl get equal if not better gas mileage believe it or not. You engine isn't haveing ot work as hard to put out the same amount of power it did before. Basically it is just more effiecent for more info on that go to www.egarrett.com you should find some good info there on the effects of turbo on an engine. Plus there is much more room to grow with a turbo...I'm not knocking Roots blowers in fact I work for Eaton but the fact of the matter is if you are looking for immediate low end with lack luster high end go supercharger if you are lookign for somewhat good low end and killer mid and high end then go turbo.

This is good to know, Thanks
I guess what I should be asking is what is the best, simplest most cost effective application for what I want to do.
To be honest all I want from the car for now is a little bit more power so I can have some fun with it. I'm not looking to make a monster (lest I end up a greasy splat on the 407).
All I'm looking to do is make my P5 into a fun little sleeper. I'm not making a show car nor a weekend drager. I just want to have a little power when I go out for a cruise on the weekend and to humble some of the pathetic little civics and GTI's,with more plastic slaped on them than Pamala Lee, that cruize the Hwy 7 strip north of me.
So what do you think the best option is for me?
I am open to all suggestions.

Go turbo man. I have a little 5 PSI non-intercooled system right now with a cracked manifold and lag out the ying yang and i can still spank Si's around here..just something to ponder:D

spoolinmp3 said:
When I had the ground controls lowered to about 2 inches I hit a railroad crossing at about 100mph got airborn and nothing was effected.

That wouldn't happen to be on 27 on the way to moroso motorsports park would it?:D

Ok I'll look into turbo.
Any suggestions as to where I can find one for the FS-DE engine?
I mean this is all theoretical for now but I'd like to get an idea of time and costs involved.

Ok,
that took care of the fuel management question.
But in terms of turbochargers on the market for the FS-DE engine, where could I start looking?:rolleyes:

Will the stock injectors be ok with about 5psi of boost or are more injectors or larger capacity injectors necessary

Back