Corolla GTS or 240sx?

Which of the above should I buy (the 84-87 Corolla GTS and 91-93 240sx)? I'm looking for a cheap rwd car to buy on a student's budget of $4000CDN. Yes, I have a P5 right now, but I'll be going to university this year and I'll be leaving this great car behind so I'm looking for something cheap and fun. No, i'm not going with the hachi because of the recent fad for it, I want it for the fact that it's a cheap RWD that I can mess around with without worrying about denting or scratching the car.

I'm also considering a AW11 MR2, but they seem a lot rarer. And since they're supercharged, do I have to run premium gas? Can't afford that stuff .. :(

I tried asking on some of the 240sx or hachi messageboards, but then the people get so biased on the car they own it becomes meaningless!

I say get the 240. It would be a lot better long term project car. SR20DET's aren't to hard to come by these days either. There a lot of Japanese parts for that model. If I'm thinging right, that year you specified would be considered an S12 Silvia in Japan. Tha corolla would be a fun drifter in you find the right parts for it.

You mean S14 right?
There is no such thing known as S12.

I say the 240 too. More parts.

Yeah, 84-87 Corolla GTS/SR5 were RWD :) Cool stuff. Sadly it's underpowered.

The 240sx i'm referring to is the 180sx (the coupe is the S13 Silvia). Yeah, i know 'bout the SR20DET and everything, but, well, i can't afford that stuff :( And i've read about that expensive problem 240sx have with their timing chains breaking easily. Well, I'm gonna go check out a 93 black 5spd (i cant' even drive stick yet :eek: ) 240sx with 200000km on it tomorrow! Sounds fast, 155hp. i hope i get it !

85 gts

Here is my 85 GT-s in 1987. Lowered with 15's, header, muffler, intake. Cool car and lots of parts from TRD.

Notice the Porsche side markers and the flushed projector fog lamps in the bumper. Way ahead of my time. Hehehe
corolla.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 85 gts

Mac Daddy said:
Here is my 85 GT-s in 1987. Lowered with 15's, header, muffler, intake. Way ahead of my time. Hehehe
corolla.jpg

Grrr, you bastard would be and awesome second car to have. LEVIN please....Slide squad compatable.

Oh my bad on the S12 thing.

Bad Ass old School

Hey, this one use to outrun 5.0 Mustangs. Had a JDM 2TG 1.6L engine with a twin-cam 8 valve Yamaha head:D, with twin 50mm Mikunis, TRD header, TRD pistons, valves, springs, clutch, Mallory ignition, 8.5mm TRD wires, Celica 5-speed tranny, full 2.5" straight muffler, lowered with 13" rims. It was a gas guzzler!:eek:

corolla1.jpg

i would go for the Corolla.... i have wanted a RWD corolla for a few years now but i cant find one at all.....

Crap, my dad thinks those cars are too old to drive so he doesn't let me get either anymore :rolleyes: Might be stuck with a new Suzuki Aerio .. noooooooooo ... :( Well, I gotta admit the Corolla has a HORRID interior. Absolutely horrible. I'd love to get get a hachi and do a Levin conversion though. Man, that's so awesome. Saw in this old "Battle Magazine" about this drifter called Imamura (sp?) with a mud coloured 86 Trueno and a Silver Levin, damn, i wish I had either one.

Hey Mac Daddy, what's that second car you posted up? Isn't that one of the older Celicas? That's pretty hype! Reminds me of those really old Skylines.

Its a 1974 Corolla. We re-did the whole interior, put power door locks, power windows and the bastard had the coldest A/C I have ever owned :eek: And the cool thing about it: no emission test :D

Re: Bad Ass old School

Mac Daddy said:
Hey, this one use to outrun 5.0 Mustangs. Had a JDM 2TG 1.6L engine with a twin-cam 8 valve Yamaha head:D, with twin 50mm Mikunis, TRD header, TRD pistons, valves, springs, clutch, Mallory ignition, 8.5mm TRD wires, Celica 5-speed tranny, full 2.5" straight muffler, lowered with 13" rims. It was a gas guzzler!:eek:

That's because you never raced me....hahahaha

Hahaha, I knew you would say something. Good to hear from you again. And that is because I sold it before meeting you. :p It needed some NO2. :D

if it's still up for graps definitely go witht eh 240...they make great project cars...even if you can't afford a new engine right away (they're very expensive....not for the engine itself but all the work taht goes into it)...but yes the 91-93s are considered S13...94-98 are s14s and anything past that are s15s which are sweet looking cars...of course sweet looking cars that we didn't get here in north america...

Mac Daddy said:
Hahaha, I knew you would say something. Good to hear from you again. And that is because I sold it before meeting you. :p It needed some NO2. :D

That was a good looking car, and with all the mods you listed I'm sure it would had been pretty close if we raced. Hey your P-5 is looking good.

hakushi no sakura said:
Which of the above should I buy (the 84-87 Corolla GTS and 91-93 240sx)? I'm looking for a cheap rwd car to buy on a student's budget of $4000CDN. Yes, I have a P5 right now, but I'll be going to university this year and I'll be leaving this great car behind so I'm looking for something cheap and fun. No, i'm not going with the hachi because of the recent fad for it, I want it for the fact that it's a cheap RWD that I can mess around with without worrying about denting or scratching the car.

I'm also considering a AW11 MR2, but they seem a lot rarer. And since they're supercharged, do I have to run premium gas? Can't afford that stuff .. :(

I tried asking on some of the 240sx or hachi messageboards, but then the people get so biased on the car they own it becomes meaningless!

Have you considered an older miata if space isn't an issue. pretty cheap an a HUGE aftermarket following.

Just a thought.:cool:

Back