Mazda 3 Reliablity

mesterha

Is it true that the Mazda 3 was a group design effort by Ford, Volvo, and Mazda? To me, that isn't good news for reliability. Even if they make the 3 in Japan, I think the design matters the most.

The Japanese cars that are made in the USA still have higher than average reliability. (Seems to be an obvious topic for a study, but I couldn't find anything on the Web.) Also, the much maligned Focus, is most often insulted because of its large number of recalls, which are in essence design flaws. (I suppose management could be implicated if they mandate cheaper than required parts.) If a large portion of the 3 was designed by Ford, I'd be worried. (Personally, I'm holding my breath for a MazdaSpeed 6 hatchback.)

Is there any other reason why the American companies do so poorly in reliability? I think the fact that Japanese cars made in America are close to the quality of the cars build in Japan show that the workers can't take most of the blame. Is it the designers, the managers, the plants, ...?

to me, I feel that American car companies are more interested in people buying a new car every 5-6 years, which is why they don't build the cars to last "forever". while Japanese car companies have a big stake in the american market, I feel that they put quality a little higher on their list of priorites than most american car companies. Regarding the 3, this car should have great reliability. A car designed by three different companies better be reliable, they are staking a big claim in it. There is not as much shared in this car as people think there is. The parts I would be concerned about are things like power windows, and pieces that the actual manufacturer puts on the car. Let the cars from all three companies come out and prove themselves, before people make judgements. I would like to think that these companies are trying to take a step forward with quality, by doing this joint project. And check out the mazda 3 forums for more info. Next couple of months is when info should start coming out, so stay tuned for that, and in the meantime, check out the mazda 3 forums for any news that comes our way. peace out

Back